Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

World Cup 2026: Tuchel axes Foden, Palmer in surprise England shake-up

Published

on

Big names were left out of England’s World Cup squad on Friday, with Phil Foden and Cole Palmer surprise omissions from Thomas Tuchel’s 26-man roster.

There was no place either for Real Madrid defender Trent Alexander-Arnold or Manchester United duo Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw in the group headed to the tournament in United States, Canada and Mexico.

“I think from day one, we were very clear that we are trying to select and build the best possible team, which is not necessarily to select and collect 26 most talented players,” Tuchel said.

“Teams win championships. It’s as simple as that. And what we are trying to achieve in the summer can only be achieved as a team.”

Advertisement

England is trying to win a first men’s title since lifting the World Cup in 1966.

Foden was the double player of the year in England with Manchester City just two years ago. Chelsea’s Palmer was one of England’s star players at the European Championship in 2024, scoring in the final against Spain.

Yet both players endured disappointing seasons with their clubs and ultimately paid the price by failing to make the cut for Tuchel’s squad. Maguire confirmed on Thursday he would not be going to the tournament, saying he was “shocked and gutted” not to be included.

Read moreFIFA introduces new World Cup red-card rules to combat racism

Advertisement

“I can assure every fan in the country,” Tuchel said, “that we have 26, 100 percent-committed players in camp with us, who know their role, who are ready to buy into their role on and off the pitch, and who are ready and committed to the idea of team spirit and being unselfish.”

England’s top players – Harry Kane, Jude Bellingham, Bukayo Saka and Declan Rice – were all included.

A surprise inclusion was Ivan Toney, who has only played once for his country since moving to the Saudi league after Euro 2024.

Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo has also been included after making a late run in the second half of the season.

Advertisement

Read moreIran holds farewell ceremony for 2026 World Cup football team

Mainoo had been an emerging figure at the Euros, but lost his England place after being pushed to the fringes at United under former coach Ruben Amorim. He was reinstated to the first team when Michael Carrick took over in January and has been a driving force in United’s rise to third in the Premier League, which has secured a return to the Champions League.

Arsenal‘s Premier League title winners Eberechi Eze and Noni Madueke will be going to their first World Cup and Marcus Rashford – dropped from Euro 2024 – is going to another major international tournament after rebuilding his career at Barcelona this season.

Foden has been regularly selected by Tuchel since the German coach took charge of England in January 2025 and his most recent appearances came during the last international window in March.

Advertisement

He started every game on England’s run to the final of the last Euros, which it lost 2-1 to Spain.

But he has rarely started for City since the turn of the year as his form has dipped and he was a non-playing substitute in last week’s FA Cup final victory.

Palmer, who was the young player of the year in England in 2024 and inspired Chelsea to triumph at the Club World Cup last year, was seen as one of the country’s brightest stars. Like Foden, he has also struggled for consistency this season and hasn’t scored in his last 14 games for club and country.

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), James Trafford (Manchester City).

Advertisement

Defenders: Dan Burn (Newcastle), Marc Guehi (Manchester City), Reece James (Chelsea), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Tino Livramento (Newcastle), Nico O’Reilly (Manchester City), Jarell Quansah (Bayer Leverkusen), Djed Spence (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Elliot Anderson (Nottingham Forest), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Eberechi Eze (Arsenal), Jordan Henderson (Brentford), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa).

Forwards: Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Noni Madueke (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Barcelona), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Al-Ahli), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

(FRANCE 24 with AP)

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Former AEW champion saves Damian Priest from dangerous situation

Published

on

Damian Priest was put in a dangerous situation tonight on WWE SmackDown. However, a former AEW champion saved him.

Royce Keys has been turning a lot of heads ever since he made his WWE debut at the 2026 Royal Rumble. Royce even won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal on SmackDown before WrestleMania 42. Hence, Solo Sikoa has been interested in recruiting him to the MFTs. However, Keys hasn’t shown any interest in joining Solo’s faction. Last week on SmackDown, Royce competed against Gunther in a number one contender’s match for the Undisputed WWE Championship. Solo came out to ringside to help Keys and even handed him a steel chair. However, Keys threw the chair at Solo. This distraction helped Gunther win the match.

Advertisement

Tonight on WWE SmackDown, Damian Priest faced off against Solo Sikoa in a singles match. After Solo won the match, the MFTs continued to assault Priest. Royce Keys came out to make the save, and he sent Tama Tonga and Talla Tonga out of the ring. He then came face-to-face with Solo, who backed out of the ring. When the former AEW star went to help Priest up, the former World Champion grabbed him by the throat, but stopped after realizing it was Keys.

Advertisement

Dominik Mysterio never wants to take Damian Priest’s finishing move

Damian Priest’s finishing move is the South of Heaven chokeslam. It is a variation of the infamous chokeslam. However, Priest manages to get a bit more impact since he falls to a seated position when hitting the move. Therefore, Dominik Mysterio never wants to be on the receiving end of it.

During an interview with GiveMeSport, Dominik said that he doesn’t want to take the South of Heaven chokeslam since it is not fun.

“Probably Damian Priest’s South of Heaven. He’s just so tall, and he gets you even higher up there, so your bump is actually like 10 feet tall. So he’s just, it’s not a fun one for sure.”

It will be interesting to see what’s next for Priest.