Sharon Graham of Unite has spoken out in the wake of news sanctions on Russian jet fuel are being relaxed over fears of global shortages
The head of Britain’s biggest trade union has launched a furious attack on government ministers over the closure of the Grangemouth oil refinery and lack of support for Scotland’s energy industry.
Sharon Graham has spoken out in the wake of news sanctions on Russian jet fuel are being relaxed over fears of global shortages due to the closure of the Strait of Hormuz in the Middle East.
Before its controversial closure in April 2025 Grangemouth supplied 97per cent of Scotland’s aviation fuel as well as major airports in the north of England including Newcastle.
Proposals were presented to the UK Government to transition the site to produce Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) which would have helped hit environmental targets but the refinery – owned by INEOS and Chinese state-owned PetroChina – is instead being turned into an import depot.
Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Mail the Unite General Secretary said: “This was an act of industrial vandalism, pure and simple.
“The Government’s own SAF mandate means 10per cent of our aviation fuel has to be SAF by 2030 – that is a 35-fold jump in demand, and we are not making any.
“Not only have we ignored a golden opportunity to make our own green air fuel but we lost the production of ordinary air fuel that was being made by Grangemouth and by Lyndsey in England.
“Now we have shortages and the government is making it easier to import air fuel made from Russian oil – you could not make it up.
“Unite showed the Department of Energy Security and Net Zero and the Scottish Government exactly how Grangemouth could be reconfigured to produce the green jet fuel that the government says we need.
“We even brought in experts who had done it in other countries to explain it to them. It would have cost around £600million.
“But the Government just listened to Petroineos and Jim Ratcliffe, the chief of INEOS. Petroineos is half-owned by the Chinese government, who, of course, want to turn Grangemouth into an import terminal – no doubt to store green jet fuel being produced in China.”
Energy Secretary Ed Miliband has been under huge pressure over his government’s policy not to grant any new North Sea oil and gas exploration licenses despite concerns over energy security.
Miliband has talked up the production of renewables but Graham warned there was no sign of a plan to create the thousands that will be lost in the North Sea. It comes amid pressure to exploit the Rosebank and Jackdaw oil and gas fields off the Scottish coast given the uncertainty over supplies from Russia and the Middle East.
Graham added: “It is really clear that, like the man trying to get into the lifeboat, we cannot let go of one rope before we have hold of another.
“We face a loss of around 30,000 North Sea oil and gas jobs by 2030. So where are the jobs for oil and gas workers in Britain to transition to?
“Last year the government released a “clean energy jobs plan”. This document had nice words about creating 420,000 jobs. But not a single detail about where those jobs would come from.
“This was a jobs plan without any jobs. The only investment commitment was for £22.5 million on a few training schemes – some change. Empty words are not a plan.
“Until we have a plan we should not be making decisions that confine working class communities to wastelands and leave us vulnerable on energy security.
“These well paid jobs are being lost at the alter of net zero and the replacement seems to be offshoring our carbon responsibilities to Russia or other countries with bad records on the environment and workers’ rights. This is putting the cart before the horse. It makes no sense.”
Offshore Energies UK (OEUK) the North Sea energy trade body, has called for a new co-ordinated response to the escalating global energy crisis.
The organisation is urging the immediate prioritisation of domestic production, claiming Iran and Ukraine show that countries that produce their own energy are more resilient.
Graham added: “Given the time elapsed and the dismantling of Grangemouth now, it is hard to see how that can be turned around but on the North Sea there is still a chance to back workers.
“We shouldn’t be stopping North Sea oil and gas extraction until we have alternatives in place – for jobs and for energy security.
“Ed Miliband says to me look at all the new wind farms we are putting up and I say – OK but the turbines are all built in Denmark and Germany – often with Chinese steel. How is that a sensible strategy? Where are the jobs. It matters where things are made.
“It is really clear that Britain at the moment does not have a vision for jobs in the way that I would expect from a Labour Government.
“We have allowed two refineries now to shut in Britain on Labour’s watch which could have been repurposed as green fuel sites. Instead of these jobs being in Britain we are now importing green fuel.
“It is clear that Ed Miliband does not have the vision needed for Britain’s energy futures We could be a key producer of renewables.”
Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE








You must be logged in to post a comment Login