Police have closed Leith Walk in Edinburgh after a woman was struck by a tram on Sunday morning – officers are appealing for help from the public
A road remains closed in Edinburgh after a women was struck by a tram.
Police are appealing for information after a 19-year-old woman was struck by a tram on Leith Walk at around 8.50am on Sunday.
The incident happened between Albert Street and Pilrig Street near the Scotmid store.
Emergency services attended and the woman was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh with serious injuries.
One resident told the Record a woman had been seen carrying black bags to bins across the road when the incident happened.
The local, who wished to remain anonymous, went out to help with a first aid kit, adding: “It happened right outside my flat. The crowd had already put her in the recovery position when I got there.”
The road remains closed while crash investigation work is carried out. Sergeant Michael Thomson said: “Our inquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances and we are asking anyone who can help who has not already spoken to officers to get in touch.”
Edinburgh Trams said: “Due to an incident between McDonald Rd and Balfour St trams are running a part route service between Edinburgh Airport & St Andrew Sq only.
“Ticket acceptance in place with Lothian buses between St Andrew Sq – Newhaven. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.”
Posting online, Police Scotland said: “Leith Walk is closed from Duke Street to Iona Street following a report of a collision involving a pedestrian and a tram that happened around 9am on Sunday, 24 May.
“Road users are advised to avoid the area.”
Lothian Buses confirmed services were being diverted from the area. They said on their site: “Due to a road closure buses are unable to serve Duke Street and Leith Walk and are instead diverted via London Road and Easter Road in both directions until further notice.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login