Connect with us

Sports

ISL To Start In October, To Go Ahead With 13 Teams After Diamond Harbour Miss Deadline

Published

on




The upcoming season of the Indian Super League (ISL), which was earlier scheduled to kick off on September 4, is set to be postponed by more than a month and will start only after October 6. The ISL will start only after the FIFA international match window which runs from September 21 to October 6. The top tier league will also go ahead with 13 teams after the Indian Football League 2025-26 champions Diamond Harbour FC failed to pay the participation fee second instalment amounting to Rs 55 lakh by Wednesday deadline. Diamond Harbour were earlier promoted to the ISL by virtue of winning the Indian Football League 2025-26.

“The ISL is likely to start only in October after the FIFA window,” a top official of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) told PTI.

“We are going with 13 teams in the ISL,” the official added.

Advertisement

All the 14 clubs were to pay the second instalment of the total Rs 1.1 crore participation fee to the AIFF by August 14 deadline, which was extended for Diamond Harbour till Wednesday.

Churchill Brothers paid, on August 14, the full Rs 1.1 crore fee to feature in the upcoming ISL after Jamshedpur Football Club sold its entire stake to the Goan side.

Jamshedpur FC had pulled out of the ISL and disbanded the first team on July 31, hours after the deadline for paying the first installment of participation fee amounting to Rs 55 lakh.

AIFF condemns ‘unverified claims’ concerning its finances and use of funds 

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the AIFF condemned what it called “incorrect claims that its decision not to participate in the FIFA ASEAN Cup 2026 has resulted in a predetermined financial penalty or fine”.

“The AIFF is also concerned about the public circulation of unverified figures and claims regarding its finances without any supporting basis or documentation,” it said in a release.

Earlier last week, India withdrew from the inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup, opting to prioritise their high-profile international friendly against five-time world champions Brazil.

It said the decision to host five-time FIFA World Cup champions Brazil on October 3 in Kolkata “was taken through the appropriate institutional processes, recognising the exceptional opportunity it presents for Indian football, the national team and millions of fans”.

Advertisement

“The match will give a morale boost to the Indian national team while driving fans towards Indian football, the impact of which is unquantifiable. The match is a mutually agreed international sporting opportunity between two football federations and should not be portrayed as a one-sided arrangement,” it added.

“The AIFF respects the democratic right to express opinions on Indian football. However, statements concerning the Federation’s finances and use of funds must be based on facts and verifiable information.” The national federation said the circulation of “factually incorrect statements has the potential to adversely affect India’s reputation and standing nationally and internationally”.

“We believe those who have made these claims have the best interests of Indian football in mind and may be misinformed.

“The AIFF, through this statement, seeks to make all aware of the facts. Should the concerned person(s) continue to disseminate incorrect claims, the AIFF will pursue appropriate legal remedies against those who continue to knowingly publish and/or circulate false and defamatory statements.” 

Advertisement

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Featured Video Of The Day


Spain Vs Argentina | Dani Olmo On WC Triumph: ‘Wanted To Set An Example For The Next Generation’

Topics mentioned in this article

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Bamba Dieng Set for Lazio Medical Ahead of Free Transfer

Published

on

Lazio are closing in on the signing of Senegalese striker Bamba Dieng on a free transfer, with the player set to undergo his medical on Thursday.

The 26-year-old forward has agreed personal terms with Lazio as the Italian club moves forward with the deal.

Dieng’s medical will be the next step before the transfer can be completed, with Lazio hoping to secure his arrival without paying a transfer fee.

Advertisement

The move comes after Lazio’s proposed deal for Mauro Icardi will not happen, leading the club to turn their attention to Dieng as an attacking option.

Dieng brings experience and attacking quality to Lazio, having established himself as a capable striker during his career in European football.

With the medical scheduled for Thursday, all attention now turns to the final steps before the transfer becomes official.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“That boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you”

Published

on

Things between AEW stars Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay got personal tonight on Dynamite. The reigning AEW World Champion and 2026 Owen Hart Cup winner are set to lock horns in the main event of All In at Wembley Stadium. Over the past few weeks, their friendship has been tarnished and turned into fierce animosity.

Both stars have a long history. Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay collided twice in 2023. They met once in NJPW at Wrestle Kingdom 17 and once at Forbidden Door. Both of them have won one match in the contest, making their match at Wembley Stadium more meaningful.

Tonight, on Dynamite, Will Ospreay and Kenny Omega had a sit-down interview with Renee Paquette. Both stars talked about their past and struggles. At the end of the interview, the Cleaner took personal shots at the Aerial Assassin. Kenny Omega said that Ospreay’s son might have to find a new hero after the AEW World Champion defeats him at All In.

The last time it mattered the most Will was 2023. At that time too, you tried to do it on your own, and what happened, Will? You failed. You failed. Except this time, in front of your countrymen, in front of all your friends, all your family, you’re gonna fail again (…) All I’m saying is there is a lot riding on this, not just for you, but for me. And hey, win, lose or draw, I still respect you, Will, and I still think that you are one of the greatest wrestlers that I have ever laid eyes upon. Even if you lose, your mom is gonna be proud of you. What I worry about most, Will, is that boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you,” he said.

It will be interesting to see what happens at All In when the two stars collide.

Please credit AEW and add an H/T to Sportskeeda Wrestling if you use any quotes from the first half of this article.