Connect with us

Sports

Top Seed Alexander Zverev Bundled Out By Tommy Paul In Rain-Hit Cincinnati Upset

Published

on




Tommy Paul saved a match point on the way to a 4-6, 7-6 (8/6), 6-4 upset of top seed Alexander Zverev on Wednesday to reach the quarter-finals of the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters. The match was interrupted for 90 minutes in the seventh game of the second set by rain and had two more five-minute pauses as drops were dried from the court. French Open champion Zverev had a chance to close out a victory at 6-5 in the second-set tiebreaker but stuffed a volley into the net.

The German again gained an edge in the deciding set with a break for 4-2, but Paul broke back in the next game and again for a 5-4 lead.

He served out the victory with confidence for his third win over Zverev in their last four meetings.

Advertisement

“I’m not sure how I did it,” Paul said. “I put some returns in, he gave me some looks at second serves and he threw in a few doubles (faults). That always helps a ton.

“I went after the ball a bit more, I was having fun out there. I hope I can keep building on this and peak at the US Open.”

Paul next faces Roland Garros runner-up Flavio Cobolli, who labored two and a half hours to engineer a turnaround against red-hot Spaniard Rafael Jodar 4-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-3.

Cobolli has won all three of his matches in Cincinnati in three sets.

Advertisement

The durable Italian reached his second Masters-level quarter-final of the season after Madrid, and he prevented 19-year-old Jodar from reaching an eighth quarter-final in nine events.

“At the end of the second set and start of the third I told myself to believe, try on every point,” Cobolli said. “I knew I had a chance.

“Rafa has had an unbelievable season but maybe he was a bit tired. At the end I deserved to win as I was fresher than him.  

“I pushed to my limit to get through. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I’m really strong.”

Advertisement

Thiago Tirante, who upset Novak Djokovic in the second round, continued his surprise run at the last big event prior to the August 30 start of the US Open.

He recovered to defeat Jakub Mensik 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 and book his first Masters quarter-final.

Australian Alex de Minaur was no match for Frenchman Arthur Fils, who cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 victory over the fifth seed.

Solid Swiatek

Advertisement

Defending women’s champion Iga Swiatek needed four match points to get past Diane Parry of France 6-3, 6-3.

The seventh-seeded Pole claimed her fourth consecutive quarter-final in Cincy and her 30th at the 1000 level.

She now faces a re-run of last week’s Toronto final against Elena Rybakina, who beat Diana Shnaider 6-4, 6-4.

Swiatek was broken as she served for victory leading a set and 5-2.

Advertisement

It took three additional chances in the next game to break Parry, who hit the net with a backhand to lose in 88 minutes. 

“I was solid, even if I had to put more energy into my shots since she was hitting so much slice,” said six-time Grand Slam winner Swiatek, who captured her first title of 2026 with her victory over reigning Australian Open champion Rybakina in last week’s Toronto final.

Two other current Grand Slam champions bowed out.

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk rallied from a set down to beat fifth seeded French Open winner Mirra Andreeva 4-6, 6-0, 6-2.

Advertisement

Sixth-seeded Wimbledon champion Linda Noskova fell to Amanda Anisimova 6-1, 6-4 in another weather-disrupted match.

Anisimova will face third-seeded fellow American Jessica Pegula, who missed a chance to serve out a quick win but held on to beat Romanian veteran Sorana Cirstea 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Featured Video Of The Day


Spain’s Royal Family Welcomes World Cup Champions To Zarzuela Palace

Advertisement

Topics mentioned in this article

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert issues statement about Nneka Ogwumike’s retirement

Published

on

With former MVP Nneka Ogwumike announcing her retirement following the 2026 WNBA season, Commissioner Cathy Engelbert has spoken about her incredible career.

Once she retires following the 2026 WNBA season, fans will be able to truly appreciate Nneka Ogwumike’s impact on women’s basketball as well as the league.

Advertisement

Following the 36-year-old’s announcement on Wednesday, there was an outpouring of appreciation and tributes from the WNBA world for the former champion.

Advertisement

The first overall draft pick in 2012, Ogwumike has enjoyed an exceptional career. And with her peers showing her love, league commissioner Cathy Engelbert wasn’t far behind.

Photo by Soobum Im/Getty Images

Photo by Soobum Im/Getty Images

Cathy Engelbert praises Nneka Ogwumike’s ‘grace and conviction’ in heartfelt tribute

The Los Angeles Sparks legend has achieved much more in the W than just her exploits on the court. As the WNBPA President for 10 years, Ogwumike has been instrumental in shaping the league.

Advertisement

Advertisement

In her role and as an extremely prominent voice in the league, Ogwumike has interacted a lot with Engelbert. Thus, it is not surprising that the latter’s statement about the retirement seems very heartfelt.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

UNLV Football Record vs. the Top Programs in West

Published

on


  By SuperWest Sports Staff


As we count down to the first college football game of the 2026 season, we continue our series on the records of each top CFB program in the West against all others in the region.

UNLV logoSome schools have met many times over the years, while others are beginning new rivalries in the wake of recent realignment.

For each opponent in the table below, we provide the total games played, wins, losses, ties, winning percentage, first year played, and most recent contest.

We continue with UNLV, which has played 409 games against regional foes, winning 151, losing 256, and recording 2 ties, for a winning percentage of .372.

Advertisement

The Rebels have recorded the most wins (23), played the most games (51), and lost the most games (28) against Nevada.

Here is a breakdown of UNLV’s records vs. the region’s teams.


UNLV Football Wins vs. the Top Programs in the West
Opponent Games W L T Win % First Game Most Recent
Air Force 26 8 18 0 30.8 11/21/1981 10/11/2025
Arizona 3 0 3 0 00.0 09/22/2001 08/29/2014
ASU 2 1 1 0 50.0 09/13/2008 09/11/2021
Boise State 16 3 13 0 18.8 09/16/1972 12/05/2025
BYU 20 3 17 0 15.0 12/02/1978 11/10/2017
Cal 2 1 1 0 50.0 09/10/2022 12/18/2024
Colorado State 26 8 17 1 32.7 10/21/1978 11/08/2025
Fresno State 27 8 19 0 29.6 11/03/1979 09/28/2024
Hawai’i 35 16 19 0 45.7 10/25/1969 11/21/2025
Nevada 51 23 28 0 45.1 11/22/1969 11/29/2025
New Mexico 28 15 13 0 53.6 09/23/1978 11/01/2025
New Mexico State 12 9 3 0 75.0 09/15/1984 11/18/1995
Oregon 2 0 2 0 00.0 10/25/1980 09/26/1992
Oregon State 6 4 2 0 66.7 10/01/983 10/19/2024
San Diego State 33 11 22 0 33.3 10/22/1977 11/16/2024
San Jose State 29 8 20 1 29.3 09/05/1981 11/22/2024
UCLA 3 1 2 0 33.3 09/12/2015 09/06/2025
USC 2 0 2 0 00.0 10/04/1997 09/01/2018
UTEP 9 7 2 0 77.8 11/18/1978 09/23/2023
Utah 16 2 14 0 12.5 10/20/1979 09/11/2010
Utah State 28 10 18 0 35.7 09/25/1971 11/15/2025
WSU 6 0 6 0 00.0 09/09/1978 09/14/2012
Wyoming 27 13 14 0 48.1 11/11/1978 10/04/2025

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

I am worried about 1 player

Published

on

Former India player Mohammad Kaif has expressed concern about Kuldeep Yadav’s place in the playing XI for the second Test against Sri Lanka. He pointed out that the visitors had to use Devdutt Padikkal with the ball in the first Test because they lacked an off-spinner.

India registered an emphatic 165-run win in the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle. The second Test will be played in Colombo from Sunday, August 23, onwards.

During a discussion on Sony Sports, Kaif opined that Saransh Jain might replace Kuldeep in the playing XI for the second Test.

“I am worried about one player – Kuldeep Yadav. He might not play the next match. That’s also possible. Whenever he was given bowling, he was given short spells. He didn’t get long spells. Saransh Jain is an off-spinner. Why did Padikkal come to bowl? It was because the lack of an off-spinner was seen in the middle,” he said.

The former India batter pointed out that an off-spinner’s absence was felt in Galle and Kuldeep wasn’t used effectively either.

“When the two left-handers were batting, they were searching for an off-spinner. If they get a turning track and a slow pitch, considering that the absence of an off-spinner was felt and the way Kuldeep was used, I feel that decision might have to be taken. I feel Kuldeep Yadav might not get a chance in the XI. Saransh Jain might get an entry in Colombo,” Kaif observed.

Kuldeep Yadav registered figures of 1/65 in 14 overs in Sri Lanka’s first innings of the Galle Test. He went wicketless and conceded 38 runs in 11 overs in the second innings.


“I want Team India to back Kuldeep Yadav” – Ajinkya Rahane

In the same discussion, former India batter Ajinkya Rahane urged the team management to persist with Kuldeep Yadav if the second Test is played in similar conditions.

Advertisement

“If the wicket is like this, I want Team India to back Kuldeep Yadav because he is a high-quality bowler. He is a match-winner and a wicket-taker. He will have to be played here because he has come into the team after a long time. So he will have to be given a chance again,” he said.

The cricketer-turned-commentator added that the left-arm wrist-spinner needs to be backed to boost his confidence.

“How do you build a player’s confidence? Replacing someone is very easy. When there are three spinners, one guy will bowl fewer overs. Manav Suthar and Ravindra Jadeja bowled very well here, but if the conditions are the same, I feel Team India should back Kuldeep Yadav and increase his confidence,” Rahane observed.

Manav Suthar (4/76 in 21.4 overs in the first innings and 6/55 in 23.4 overs in the second innings) was the visitors’ star performer with the ball in the first Test. Ravindra Jadeja registered figures of 3/57 in 21 overs in the first innings and 1/71 in 23 overs in the second innings.