Connect with us

Sports

Hidrix eyes Silver Slipper Stakes glory in 2026 after Canonbury win

Published

on

Zac Lloyd enters the Silver Slipper far more positive on Hidrix than before the colt’s bow in the Canonbury Stakes.

He hadn’t sat on the Extreme Choice youngster in barrier trials before the debut, acknowledging the Chris Waller operation’s careful early judgments as the horse wasn’t tested rigorously in sessions.

“No-one overwhelmed me with confidence before the race because he’s a very casual customer at trackwork,” Lloyd said.

“But he got a lovely run and that enabled him to sprint well, and he did win quite comfortably.

Advertisement

“Hopefully he has switched on mentally from that and can race well again on Saturday.

“He couldn’t have been more impressive.”

Post his Canonbury Stakes (1100m) victory, Hidrix joined the top of Golden Slipper betting, and he’s next best at $4.40 for the Silver Slipper (1100m) at Rosehill on Saturday.

Market leaders at $4 are Tulloch Lodge’s filly Shiki and Canonbury Stakes placegetter Confederation, with James McDonald loyal to the colt after their debut ride where he endured faults to stay competitive.

Advertisement

The Canonbury Stakes saw Michael Freedman runner Incognito as heavy favourite but fifth after palate displacement was identified post-race.

Steps have been taken by Freedman to correct it, and the Breeders’ Plate champ gets tongue control plus lugging bit for the weekend.

Check racing odds for the Silver Slipper Stakes on leading betting sites.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

‘We keep our sights forward’: Giant-killer Zimbabwe send warning after taking down Sri Lanka and Australia | Cricket News

Published

on

'We keep our sights forward': Giant-killer Zimbabwe send warning after taking down Sri Lanka and Australia
Zimbabwe’s captain Sikandar Raza, center, with teammates leaves the ground after Sri Lanka’s inning during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)

Captain Sikandar Raza said the strong group-stage run by the Zimbabwe at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has earned them respect, and he hopes the team can continue its run in the Super Eights against stronger opponents.Zimbabwe signalled their ability to challenge top teams by defeating Australia and Sri Lanka in Group B matches.“We keep our sights forward. If I keep our eyes on the present…I don’t think anyone gave us a chance. To win everyone’s hearts and respect, it is a good position to be in,” Raza said in the post-match presentation after his team’s win over SL.Zimbabwe now move into the Super Eights, where they will face reigning champions India, two-time champions West Indies cricket team, and 2024 finalists South Africa.But Raza said his side is not intimidated.Also read: Sikandar roars in Colombo: Zimbabwe stun Sri Lanka, fire warning shot at India
“We take one game at a time. We arrive on the 21st, and then train on the 22nd, and then it is show-time. Whatever happens, happens. If we can win two out of three games, who knows what can happen. Everyone loves an underdog story,” Raza added.Reflecting on the win over Sri Lanka, Raza said the hosts fell short of a defendable total.“When we lost the toss, all I said to the boys was if we are truly playing good cricket, why does the toss matter? I bowled, and said finger-spinners are not finding a lot of turn, so we can put them under pressure.“I came into the changing room and said they were 10 runs short (at the break). We have trained for every situation. We have the right personnel to send in at the right time. We have got all those roles clear and that is why you see the confidence in the changing room,” he said.For now, Raza said he wants to enjoy the team’s progress into the Super Eights.“We are unbeaten so far, but it is only the next game that comes into my head. Nice position to be in as a captain but I will try and enjoy at least tonight,” he said.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka faces brutal criticism from fans after partnering with Russian rapper openly supporting war against Ukraine

Published

on

Belarusian tennis star Aryna Sabalenka has come under fire for mingling with a Russian rapper who backs his country’s invasion of Ukraine. The conflict between the two countries has been going on since 2022, and its ramifications have been felt on the tennis courts as well.

Ukrainian tennis players have boycotted athletes from Russia as well as Belarus, refusing to engage in the traditional pleasantries due to their countries’ hand in the destruction of Ukraine. The International Tennis Federation has also banned Russia and Belarus from participating in the Davis Cup and the Billie Jean King Cup.

Sabalenka was naturally asked about her country’s support of Russia’s aggression. She took a pacifist stand and hoped for the war to end soon. However, her recent association with people who support Russia’s brutality may indicate otherwise.

Advertisement

Sabalenka was interviewed for the Bench podcast, part of the First & Red media house. The interview was filmed last month and has started doing the rounds now. The hosts were Russian rapper L’ONE, the alias of Levan Gorozia, and his brother Merabi. L’ONE allegedly admitted to supporting his country’s actions in Ukraine by providing them financial support, and hoping for their victory.

Sabalenka‘s association with those who support the war didn’t sit right with fans. They took to X (formerly Twitter) to express their disappointment and frustration at her decision:

“May she never win another Slam again,” wrote one fan.

“lol she was never neutral… Posing with Lukashenko, celebrating with him,” posted another fan.

“Ban aryna Sabalenka from playing tennis,” expressed a fan.

“she’s such a loser jesus,” wrote a fan.

“Are we surprised?” chimed in another fan.

“fork found in the kitchen,” wrote one fan.

Sabalenka was also called out by Oleksandra Oliynykova during last month’s Australian Open. The latter cited her support of her country’s President as proof of her support for Russia’s hostility.


Aryna Sabalenka was one of the players publicly singled out by Oleksandra Oliynykova

Aryna Sabalenka at the Australian Open 2026. (Photo: Getty)Aryna Sabalenka at the Australian Open 2026. (Photo: Getty)
Aryna Sabalenka at the Australian Open 2026. (Photo: Getty)

Ukrainian tennis players have constantly used their platform to raise awareness about the brutal conditions they’re forced to live in since the war. Oleksandra Oliynykova, who made her Grand Slam debut at the Australian Open 2026, didn’t hesitate to directly address her peers who allegedly support Russia.

Aryna Sabalenka allegedly supported Alexander Lukashenko, the Belarusian President, during the civil unrest in her country before the start of the Russia-Ukraine conflict. The government used its full might to crush peaceful protests, so it wasn’t a good look for her to side with those in power. Oliynynkova had a problem with this, and addressed it with an interview with L’Equipe during the Australian Open.

Advertisement

“I’m talking, for example, about the world number one (Aryna Sabalenka). Did you know that she signed the list supporting Lukashenko in 2020? During the protests in Belarus, when the streets were covered in blood because those who were demonstrating, defending democracy, and demanding fair elections were being repressed and beaten. Well, she signed it and declared that Lukashenko was her president,” Oliynykova said.

Sabalenka has time and time again repeated that she supports peace. She hasn’t competed anywhere since her loss to Elena Rybakina in the Australian Open final, so any answers regarding her latest misstep will have to wait until her return at next month’s Indian Wells Open.