The latest rugby news from around the world
These are your evening rugby headlines on Thursday, February 19.
Six Nations coach ‘disgusted’
Ireland head coach Andy Farrell says the racist abuse aimed at lock Edwin Edogbo following his Test debut is “disgusting”, as he backed the 23-year-old to “crack on and ignore all the BS”.
The Munster star was targeted on social media after winning his first cap for his country in their 20-13 Six Nations win over Italy in Dublin last weekend, having come off the replacements’ bench in the 70th minute.
After Edogbo – who was born and raised in County Cork to Nigerian parents – was subjected to racist abuse, the Irish Rugby Football Union has launched an investigation.
Farrell, who on Thursday named his team to face England this weekend, condemned the abuse against his player as he said there is “no need for it in society”.
“First and foremost, it’s all about the player, nothing but about how he is and how it’s affecting him or not,” he told reporters. “We’ve had the conversation and he’s fine, thankfully. But it’s obviously disgusting. There’s no need for it in society.
“I didn’t read it. I don’t want to read it, I don’t want to give people anything to even think that I’m even commenting on some of the stuff that has been said really because they certainly don’t deserve that.
“But as far as I’m concerned, Edwin’s fine, he’s strong, he’s been brought up in the right way,” Farrell added. “We met his family last week, his mother and his two brothers and his sister.
“His father couldn’t make it because he works all hours God sends as an A&E nurse there down in Cork, which says it all. He’s made of the right stuff, and that’s why he’s able to just crack on and ignore all the BS.”
Returning Scotland duo ‘hugely determined’
By Anthony Brown, Press Association
Gregor Townsend expects Blair Kinghorn and Duhan van der Merwe to be fuelled by “huge determination” against Wales after they were restored to Scotland’s starting XV for Saturday’s Guinness Six Nations clash in Cardiff.
The British and Irish Lions duo were high-profile omissions from the 23 for the first two championship matches against Italy and England amid question marks about their form.
Toulouse back Kinghorn will start at full-back in place of Tom Jordan, who drops to the bench, while Van der Merwe, Scotland’s record try-scorer, returns at wing to take over from Jamie Dobie, who is out due to injury.
“Blair was back playing on Sunday night for Toulouse so it’s good to get an outlet when you’ve not been selected,” said head coach Townsend after naming his squad to face Wales.
“He played really well in that game and he’s recovered quickly after that evening game. Duhan’s trained really well and very much been part of our squad, so there’ll be a freshness around both of them coming back in and huge determination to play well.
“Like any player, you want to be part of the squad and for those players that have been in our squad for a few years, it’ll be tough for them to take.
“But they’ve backed the team and they understand the reasons why we had different selections going into our opening two games. And now they have an opportunity to represent their country again.”
There are three further changes to the Scotland XV that started the 31-20 victory over England last weekend – all of them in the pack.
Dave Cherry replaces George Turner at hooker, with the latter dropping to the bench.
Back-rowers Jamie Ritchie and Jack Dempsey miss out through injury, with Matt Fagerson coming in at number eight and the versatile Gregor Brown, who started in the second row last weekend, moving to blindside flanker. Glasgow lock Max Williamson comes in to take Brown’s place in the second row.
Scotland, who have been training in Spain this week, are hot favourites to defeat an ailing Wales side who have lost heavily to France and England in their opening two matches.
“I’m sure last week a lot of people thought England were clear favourites (against Scotland), so the game is not about predictions and previous form,” said Townsend. “It’s a lot about what you do in those 80 minutes, and we’ve got to make sure that we get our game out.”
Dropped star ‘will bounce back’
By Edward Elliot, Press Association
Ireland boss Andy Farrell backed Sam Prendergast to bounce back from being dropped as he admitted neither of his leading fly-halves were in particularly good form ahead of the Guinness Six Nations.
Prendergast has been left out of the matchday squad for Saturday’s round-three clash away to England following a tough outing in last weekend’s tense 20-13 win over Italy.
Jack Crowley will start at Twickenham after his impressive cameo against the Azzurri, with Ciaran Frawley providing back-up from the bench. Prendergast, 23, began six of Ireland’s last seven Six Nations fixtures and has been overlooked for a matchday 23 in the championship for the first time.
“Sam’s a fantastic international player,” head coach Farrell told a press conference, according to the Irish Independent. “He’s on a journey that’s obviously learning like all of us. That will never stop. It’s the same for Ciaran Frawley.
“We’ve talked all along about the four lads (Crowley, Prendergast, Frawley and Harry Byrne) competing against one another and the balance is right for this team this weekend. Everyone gets feedback and we talk it through and we use it in the right manner to see where we’re going to go in the not too distant future.
“I think the two lads (Prendergast and Crowley) probably came into camp, I think they’ve probably been in better form. I’m not saying they were in bad form, but you see during training which way that you’re going to go through performance.”
Crowley played every minute of Ireland’s triumphant 2024 Six Nations campaign but his only start in the tournament following Prendergast’s Test debut in November of that year came away to Italy last March.
The 26-year-old will partner recalled scrum-half Jamison Gibson-Park as part of five personnel changes, with prop Tadhg Furlong and back-rows Tadhg Beirne and Josh van der Flier also returning.
Asked why he opted for Crowley, Farrell said: “Because of what we’ve seen and how he’s come through and performed and playing confidently. You back what you see and all of that.
“I suppose sometimes you see people come from the back, have nothing to lose and then just rip in. And we’ve not just seen that with Jack, we’ve seen it with James Ryan – not selected to start in the first game, came on against France (a 36-14 loss) and had a storming game and has continued that.
“I saw that with James as well with the (British and Irish) Lions, when he was behind the eight ball there with a quad injury and he was chasing his tail to try and get into the squad and played his best rugby within that tour.
“That’s because people are able to sit back a bit, make sense of it and rip into the performance. I think you saw that with Jack’s performance last week.”
Versatile Frawley is poised to win his first international cap – and 10th overall – since coming on at centre in last summer’s 106-7 demolition of Portugal.
“He’s 100 per cent excited,” Farrell said of the 28-year-old. “He’s been certainly frustrated with the lack of game time, certainly in the autumn. From what we’ve seen in training, how sharp he is and how eager he is to get going and the balance that he gives us on the bench, he’ll be ready to go.”

