Connect with us

Sports

Eternal Warrior seeks to extend family influence in 2026 Blue Diamond Stakes

Published

on

Lloyd Kennewell required only a brief viewing of Eternal Warrior to identify his suitability as an early-maturing type for juvenile majors, and the colt has fulfilled expectations by advancing to the Blue Diamond Stakes.

The fledgling competitor eyes the first Group 1 for two-year-olds in the $2 million Caulfield feature this Saturday.

The 1200-metre contest features no horse with more substantial heritage in Victoria’s flagship juvenile race than Kennewell’s $80,000 Magic Millions Adelaide purchase in partnership with Blueblood Thoroughbreds.

Devout Hero, by No Nay Never, is Eternal Warrior’s dam, and her mother Perfect Persuasion is sibling to 2004 Blue Diamond star Alinghi.

Advertisement

Sired by Rosemont’s Extreme Warrior, from the first crop and a son of 2016 Blue Diamond winner Extreme Choice, the colt intrigued Kennewell greatly.

“Matty Becker and I do our work together and we thought he was an early two-year-old, hence the reason we were keen to dive in,” Kennewell said.

“We liked him a lot obviously. We thought if he wasn’t the best colt, he was close to it, in Adelaide.

“He’s obviously got a very good pedigree, we’ve had a bit of luck with Extreme Choice and I thought he looked like an Extreme Choice.

Advertisement

“So we were looking at him as a cheaper version of an Extreme Choice colt.”

On November 29 at Caulfield, Eternal Warrior delivered on promise with a $41 debut success in the Listed Merson Cooper Stakes (1000m).

Focus moved to this Saturday after a creditable third in the Group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude (1100m) on February 7, positioning him ideally according to Kennewell.

Victory in the Prelude belonged to $8 Blue Diamond hope Closer To Free, from $5 runner-up Guest House. The colt is $13 in Diamond books.

Advertisement

“Normally my horses have had two trials going into a race first-up, but we planned deliberately to only have the one to be peaking for the Grand Final,” Kennewell said.

“His race in the Prelude showed exactly that. Damian (Lane) thought he was going to win when he straightened up and he just blew out the last 100.

“He had the fastest last 800, 600, 400 of the race but just peaked on his run late.

“We were really, really happy and his work on Monday morning was super. Damian came in and galloped him and was really happy with him.

Advertisement

“We were just wishing we got a lot better draw than what we got dished up.”

Drawing post 16 originally, Eternal Warrior moves to 13 barring entry of the three emergencies, for a full field of 16.

Kennewell banks on barrier experience from wide starts before – 13/13 debut, 8/8 Prelude – to navigate the challenge.

“He’s drawn wide every start, so he’s shown that he can do that and hopefully it will work out for us,” he said.

Advertisement

Saturday sees Damian Lane retain the partnership, pursuing a breakthrough Blue Diamond Stakes win post last year’s second on Tentyris behind Devil Night.

Secure the best betting sites options ahead of the Blue Diamond Stakes action.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Floyd Mayweather announces boxing comeback after retiring 9 years ago

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather said he is coming out of retirement after nine years away from the sport and will make his return this summer. 

He is returning to the ring for a match under a promotional deal with CSI Sports/Fight Sports.

Floyd Mayweather jabs

Boxer Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. throws a punch against mixed martial artist Mikuru Asakura of Japan in Saitama, Tokyo, Sept. 25, 2022. (AP Photo/Hiro Komae)

“I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing,” Mayweather said in a statement. “From my upcoming Mike Tyson event to my next professional fight afterwards, no one will generate a bigger gate, have a larger global broadcast audience and generate more money with each event (than) my events.”

Advertisement

The undefeated Mayweather, who turns 49 Tuesday, hasn’t fought in a real match since 2017 against Conor McGregor. Mayweather declared himself retired after that match with a 50-0 record and 27 KOs.

JAKE PAUL SAYS ‘BABY FEVER’ HAS HIT AS BOXER STEPS AWAY TO RECOVER FROM INJURY

Floyd Mayweather fights Aaron Chalmers

Floyd Mayweather in action against Aaron Chalmers (not pictured) during their exhibition fight at The O2 in London Feb. 25, 2023. (Zac Goodwin/PA Images via Getty Images)

The former five-division world champion has still been in the ring regularly throughout his 40s with a series of lucrative exhibition bouts against the likes of online influencer Logan Paul, YouTuber Mikuri Asakura and John Gotti III, the grandson of the infamous mafia boss.

Mayweather has already announced yet another exhibition coming up this spring against 59-year-old Mike Tyson, although no location or television partner has been confirmed.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Logan Paul fights Floyd Mayweather

Logan Paul, left, and Floyd Mayweather fight during an exhibition boxing match at Hard Rock Stadium June 6, 2021, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Mayweather spent more than a decade as arguably the biggest American star in boxing, and he beat Manny Pacquiao in 2015 in the richest fight in boxing history at the time. His superb defensive skills and quick hands were his ring strengths, but his stardom and wealth proliferated largely because of his “Money May” antihero persona.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Now, he will give it another go as he approaches age 50 and puts his undefeated record on the line.

Advertisement

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Conor Benn sends message to Eddie Hearn after announcing shock Dana White signing

Published

on

Conor Benn has spoken out following his stunning signing with Dana White and Zuffa Boxing – with ‘The Destroyer’ sending a clear message to Eddie Hearn.

Benn has shocked the entire boxing world after it was announced that he has joined forces with Zuffa, ending his 10-year relationship with Matchroom Boxing and Hearn, dating back to his professional debut in 2016.

The two parties have gone through a number of highs and lows during that time, including Benn’s recent victory over bitter rival Chris Eubank Jr, along with his long and drawn out drugs saga following a failed test back in October 2022.

Advertisement

After Benn’s win in November, it looked like more big fights were on the horizon under the Matchroom banner, before the surprise news that he has now teamed up with Zuffa and White.

In a post on social media, Benn explained his decision, but also stated he would like for Hearn to continue to be part of the team in some capacity.

“First and foremost, I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they’ve done for me over the past decade. From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times.

“It’s been a journey beyond anything we could have imagined, and for their belief, support and guidance, I will always be truly grateful, but Zuffa Boxing presented me with an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse. I’d love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter.

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing. I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans.”

Advertisement

Despite Benn’s wishes, it seems unlikely that Hearn will be able to work alongside Zuffa and White, especially considering the recent verbal battles the Matchroom chairman and the UFC CEO have had in recent weeks.

Hearn is yet to comment on Benn’s decision, but it will certainly be interesting when he shares his side of the story.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Corinne Stoddard wins Olympic short track bronze, first US woman to medal 2010

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Friday’s short track competition at the Milan Cortina Olympics was defined by dramatic moments, culminating in a historic breakthrough. 

Team USA’s Corinne Stoddard claimed a podium finish, becoming the first American woman to medal in the event in 16 years. 

Stoddard, who entered the Games ranked second in the world in short track, captured bronze in the 1,500 meters after overcoming a series of early setbacks. On her first day on the ice in Milan, the 24-year-old slipped three times.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Corinne Stoddard celebrates

Corinne Stoddard of the United States celebrates after winning bronze in the short track speed skating women’s 1500 meters at the at Milano Ice Skating Arena during the 2026 Milan Cortina Olympics Feb. 20, 2026, in Milan, Italy. (Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)

Stoddard regained her form and appeared to have little trouble skating through the preliminary rounds to reach the final. Once the race began Friday, she held the lead for much of the event before South Korea’s Kim Gil-li and Choi Min-jeong overtook her.

AMERICAN JORDAN STOLZ SECURES SILVER MEDAL IN MEN’S SPEEDSKATING 1,500-METER EVENT

Kim and Choi won gold and silver, respectively, in the race. Stoddard credited her team with helping her after the early stumbles.

Advertisement
Corinne Stoddard reacts after competing at the Olympics

Corinne th of the United States reacts after competing in the short track speed skating women’s 1500 meters at Milano Ice Skating Arena during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games Feb. 20, 2026, in Milan, Italy. (Maja Hitij/Getty Images)

“I think after the 1000 meters, I basically spent the whole day crying in bed,” she said. “I basically came from the depths of hell to get here, and I couldn’t have done it without my team and my staff and my coaches, everyone, just lifting me up and [giving] me the confidence that I could skate the way I know how to after so many terrible races.

Corinne Stoddard celebrates

Bronze medalist Corinne Stoddard of the United States celebrates on the podium during the medal ceremony for the short track speed skating women’s 1500 meters at Milano Ice Skating Arena during the 2026 Milan Cortina Olympics Feb. 20, 2026, in Milan, Italy. (Maja Hitij/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Today was just to prove to myself that I can skate under the Olympic pressure and to prove to myself that I’m still me. And I did that. And I feel like that’s a great way to end such a terrible Olympics.”

With her bronze Friday, Stoddard earned her first Olympic medal. The victory also snapped a seven-year medal drought for American short track skaters.

Advertisement

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

PAK vs NZ Super 8s weather forecast: What happens if rain washes out Colombo clash? | Cricket News

Published

on

PAK vs NZ Super 8s weather forecast: What happens if rain washes out Colombo clash?

Pakistan will lock horns with New Zealand in their first Super 8 clash of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on Saturday. With a storied rivalry and plenty at stake, the contest promises to be a high-intensity encounter between two evenly matched sides.

Pakistan vs New Zealand Super 8s: Head-to-head record between PAK and NZ in T20Is

This will be the 50th T20I meeting between Pakistan and New Zealand, underlining how closely contested this rivalry has been in the shortest format. Of the 49 matches played so far, Pakistan have won 24, New Zealand 23, while two games ended in ties — a near-perfect split that highlights the fine margins between the teams.

Rain threat adds uncertainty ahead of Pakistan-New Zealand encounter

New Zealand hold intense nets before Super Eight match vs Pakistan | T20 World Cup

Advertisement

Since January 2022 alone, the two sides have faced each other 24 times in T20Is. New Zealand hold a slight edge with 13 wins compared to Pakistan’s nine. However, Pakistan fans draw confidence from their memorable victory in the 2022 T20 World Cup semi-final, where they defeated the Black Caps to book a place in the final.New Zealand and Pakistan last played a T20 match in March last year, when New Zealand hosted the 2009 T20 World Cup champions for a three-match series, which the home side won 2-1.Total Matches Played: 49Pakistan Won: 24New Zealand Won: 23No Result: 2Performance of both teams in their last 5 matchesPakistan: W, W, W, L, WNew Zealand : L:, W, W, L, WIn this edition, both teams have blown hot and cold. Pakistan suffered a setback against India in the group stage, while New Zealand went down to South Africa. As a result, both finished second in their respective groups and now find themselves in a challenging Super 8 group that also includes England and Sri Lanka.Form-wise, Pakistan come into the game with three wins in their last five matches (W, W, W, L, W), while New Zealand’s recent run reads L, W, W, L, W — again reflecting how evenly matched the sides are.

Pakistan vs New Zealand Super 8s: Weather report

While the cricketing rivalry adds spice, the weather in Colombo could play a decisive role. Rain is forecast before and during the match, which is scheduled to begin at 7 PM local time. Showers are expected during the first half, with temperatures hovering between 24 and 26 degrees Celsius and humidity above 80 per cent.

Pakistan vs New Zealand Super 8s weather report: What happens if PAK-NZ gets called off?

Advertisement

There is no reserve day for this Super 8 fixture. If the match is abandoned due to rain, both teams will share one point each — a scenario that could severely dent their semi-final hopes. Officials will have an additional 90 minutes on the day to try and force a result, but if even a five-over contest isn’t possible, the game will be called off.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Will his statue be holding a Michael Jordan Flag

Published

on

Pat Riley is best known for his legacy with the Miami Heat, but his ties to the Los Angeles Lakers run just as deep. An NBA champion with the franchise as both a player and head coach, Riley is now set to be honored by the Lakers with a statue outside Crypto.com Arena.

Legion Hoops shared the news via X (formerly Twitter) on Friday.

“The Lakers are expected to unveil Pat Riley’s statue outside of Crypto Arena this Sunday,” Legion Hoops captioned the post.

Advertisement

Lakers fans were quick to react to the post, with many agreeing that the honor was well deserved.

@LegionHoops Without Pat Riley, Lakers wouldn’t be Lakers.

Advertisement

@LegionHoops Pat Riley didn’t just coach the Lakers. He defined cool. He defined winning with style. And now he stands forever with the other gods in Star Plaza.

@LegionHoops Pat Riley statue outside Crypto Arena? Well deserved

However, not all fans were thrilled by the idea of Riley receiving a statue.

@LegionHoops How this dude put in application then poof lakers head coach ….. Fake ass rise, only won chips with legends already on the team

Advertisement

@LegionHoops will his statue be holding a michael jordan flag.

Despite the fans’ polarizing views, it’s hard to argue against Riley getting a statue outside the Crypto.com Arena. The Godfather is an instrumental part of Lakers history, ushering in the Showtime era and helping Los Angeles rise in the NBA ranks.

Riley won four NBA titles with the Lakers and was named Coach of the Year in his final season with the team. His impact on the franchise is undeniable, and the Lakers are set to rightfully honor him with the tribute on Sunday.

However, this won’t be the first time Riley has been honored at an NBA arena. In 2024, the Miami Heat immortalized him in South Beach by renaming their court after him following 30 years with the franchise, both as a coach and executive.

Advertisement

Pat Riley once acknowledged his part in the sour end to his Knicks tenure

Pat Riley has found enormous success in his six decades in the NBA, evolving from a player to a coach and now an executive. While his stints with the Lakers and the Heat saw him collect multiple titles, his run with the Knicks was more frustrating.

Despite winning Coach of the Year on two separate occasions, Riley’s Knicks tenure was marred by his sour exit. However, Riley once admitted to being at fault for this in 2019.

“The Knicks was a fiasco, okay, it’s my fault,” Riley said. “I regret, you know, torturously interfering to get myself out of a contract and leaving New York for whatever the reasons were.”

Riley’s departure from New York was messy, as he left the team following their 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals loss to the Indiana Pacers after failing to reach an agreement on a new contract.