Connect with us

Sports

2nd Niger Delta Games Declared Open in Benin City

Published

on

The second edition of the Niger Delta Games has been officially declared open in Benin City, Edo State, with leaders calling for more investment in youths and women through sports.

The opening ceremony took place on Friday at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, where Edo State’s culture and heritage were displayed in colourful fashion.

President Bola Tinubu, represented by the Minister of State for Industry, John Enoh, said sports remain a strong tool for unity and empowerment. He praised the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) for sustaining the initiative and said his government is focused on developing people alongside infrastructure.

  • Eric Chelle at the Press Conference after Nigeria Super Eagles B loss to SudanEric Chelle at the Press Conference after Nigeria Super Eagles B loss to Sudan

Advertisement

“The maiden edition showed that when government provides the platform, youths will respond,” Tinubu said.

“Niger Delta youths are creative and ready to compete. Beyond medals and trophies, this game is about talent discovery. Nigeria must lead. Young talents must see sport as a pathway to career and global recognition.”

He added, “I must task the sponsors, NDDC, to expand its opportunities and invest in initiatives that empower the youths and women. Sports remained an instrument of unity and empowerment known to mankind.”

Advertisement

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, announced a reward of N20 million for the winning state and N10 million for the runner-up. He said the games represent more than competition.

“The games are a powerful statement that the Niger Delta is not only defined by its resources, but also by its resilience, talent, and boundless human potential,” Okpebholo said.

“Through sports, discipline is taught. Through sports, character is built. Through sports, boundaries disappear.”

He urged athletes to compete with pride and integrity, adding, “You are the pride of the Niger Delta. You carry the dreams of millions of young people who look to you for inspiration.”

Advertisement

NDDC Managing Director, Chief Samuel Ogbuku, called on state governors to support the games and confirmed the commission’s commitment to continue sponsoring the event.

“This competition is aimed at the amateur. From here they will be professional. All athletes come from their respective states. Let us use what we have to groom our athletes,” Ogbuku said.

“This competition has come to stay. This is part of our intervention in sports.”

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, represented by Senator Asuquo Ekenyoung, also promised National Assembly support for youth development and entrepreneurship initiatives.

Advertisement

More than 3,000 athletes from the nine Niger Delta states are taking part in the seven-day sports festival, which is organised by Dunamis Icons and sponsored by the NDDC.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Rhea Ripley breaks down in tears, Female star dismisses dating speculations, Major update on Bron Breakker

Published

on

Welcome to Sportskeeda Wrestling’s WWE News and Rumor Roundup for 21st February, 2026. In today’s brand-new edition, we’ll cover why Rhea Ripley broke down in tears, a female star clears the air on online dating speculations, and a major update on Bron Breakker and Seth Rollins.

Let’s get started:


#5. Major update on Bron Breakker and Seth Rollins’ WWE status – Reports

Last year, Seth Rollins was kicked out of The Vision two days after he got injured at WWE Crown Jewel 2025. In the coming months, the villainous faction grew stronger, but a new masked man targeted them on the red brand. Earlier this month, Bron Breakker got injured during a spot and went on hiatus.

Advertisement

However, the injury’s severity was much worse than expected. According to Dave Meltzer on the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (WON), both stars are doing their best and rehabbing to their fullest to make it to WrestleMania. The rumored plan involves a one-on-one match between the two at The Grandest Stage of Them All.


#4. Two more WWE superstars are headed to Elimination Chamber

WWE Elimination Chamber is a week away in Chicago, and superstars have almost acquired all the spots available in the gimmick match across both divisions. On the recent edition of Friday Night SmackDown, two more stars punched their ticket to the event.

Trick Williams and Kiana James qualified their respective Triple Threat matches on SmackDown and earned their spots inside the steel structure. A final set of qualifier matches will take place on Monday Night RAW, which will determine the field for both Elimination Chamber matches in Illinois.


#3. Female WWE star dismisses online speculations of dating JD McDonagh

The Judgment Day is popular for pairing superstars on the weekly product. It started with Dominik Mysterio and Rhea Ripley in its initial days, which eventually led to LivDom (Dirty Dom and Liv Morgan) when Mysterio turned on Rhea Ripley for Morgan at SummerSlam 2024.

Advertisement

In an appearance on TMZ’s Inside The Ring, Raquel Rodriguez cleared the air on online speculations of being a couple on the weekly product with JD McDonagh. Big Mami Cool subtly addressed the rumors and denied any romantic relationship with the former Cruiserweight Champion.


#2. Liv Morgan will finalize her WrestleMania opponent on WWE RAW

Earlier this month, Liv Morgan punched her ticket for WrestleMania 42 in Nevada, and she’s set to face a champion of her choosing at The Grandest Stage of Them All. While there’s friction between Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez, the 31-year-old star has made her decision.

On the upcoming edition of Monday Night RAW, The Judgment Day’s Liv Morgan will choose her WrestleMania 42 opponent. It’s going to be either Stephanie Vaquer or Jade Cargill. However, La Primera will likely be her opponent for the event.


#1. Rhea Ripley breaks down in tears at WWE Royal Rumble 2026

Royal Rumble 2026 marked the end of AJ Styles’ in-ring career as The Phenomenal One had his final match against Gunther. The Men’s Grand Slam Champion received a heartwarming welcome as he walked backstage following his retirement match.

Advertisement

Recently, WWE posted a video from the event where superstars interacted with AJ Styles after his final match. In the video, Rhea Ripley broke down in tears as The Phenomenal One returned backstage. Later, Mami claimed that AJ Styles made her cry as she got emotional bidding the veteran goodbye.

On the upcoming edition of Monday Night RAW, the management planned a tribute show for AJ Styles, as it takes place in Atlanta, Georgia. While Styles has no plans of stepping out of retirement, it’ll be interesting to see what’s next for Gunther heading into WrestleMania.