Connect with us

Sports

Kerala Blasters first ISL home game on track, but stadium rent row casts shadow over future matches | Football News

Published

on

Kerala Blasters first ISL home game on track, but stadium rent row casts shadow over future matches
Photo credit: X/@KeralaBlasters

KOCHI: Preparations for Kerala Blasters’ first home match of the new Indian Super League (ISL) season against Mumbai City FC were thrown into turmoil on the eve of the fixture on Saturday, following an unexpected standoff with the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA), which owns the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi.GCDA denied permission for a pre-arranged pre-match press conference to be held inside the stadium, forcing the club to shift the interaction online at short notice.Tensions escalated later in the evening when GCDA officials reportedly asked All India Football Federation (AIFF) personnel, including match commissioner Arunava Bhattacharya, to vacate the premises. The authority also allegedly ordered the closure of the club’s administrative office operating within the stadium complex.Amid speculation that the match could be called off, the Blasters clarified in a late evening statement that the game would proceed as per schedule. “In the end, football is the winner. We will take to the field against Mumbai City FC tomorrow for our first home game of the season,” the club said.However, a source close to the management indicated that the understanding applies only for the opening fixture, with no clarity yet on arrangements for the remaining home games.The uncertainty stems from a dispute over stadium rent and pending payments.Last week, GCDA chairman K Chandran Pillai announced in a joint press conference with club officials that Rs 2 lakh would be charged as a one-time concession for this season, instead of Rs 8 lakh that was charged during the previous seasons.However, the authority’s executive committee, which met on Thursday, reportedly reversed the decision and fixed the rent at Rs 4.2 lakh per match.In addition to the revised match-day rent, GCDA is said to have demanded that the Blasters clear the full amount and settle an additional Rs 22 lakh as liability fees from the previous season within a week.According to a source within the club, the disputed sum relates to losses and additional expenses arising from a Bharatanatyam event held at the stadium in December last year.“Since the event happened in the middle of the season, they are asking us to pay that amount. Why should we pay the liability for an event that had no connection with us?” the source said.TOI reached out to GCDA officials, but they were not available for comment.The standoff played out publicly earlier in the day when GCDA security personnel asked journalists to vacate the hall designated for the pre-match press conference before locking up the venue. Blasters head coach David Catala and midfielder Rowllin Borges reportedly waited for over 30 minutes before leaving, once it became clear the interaction would not be allowed to proceed.The club subsequently conducted the media briefing online. During the session, Catala was asked pointedly by a reporter: “Which is your home ground?”The Spaniard kept his focus on football. His priority, he said, was preparing the squad and playing in front of their supporters at the stadium. He exuded confidence that the match would go ahead at the venue despite the uncertainty off the pitch.For now, the Blasters’ home opener will go ahead as per schedule, but the dispute on rent remains unresolved, casting a shadow over the rest of their ISL campaign.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

College hoops insider shares Vanderbilt star’s availability ahead of Tennessee clash 

Published

on

Vanderbilt Commodores guard Duke Miles is expected back in action for Saturday’s game against the Tennessee Volunteers, per college basketball insider Jeff Borzello. Miles has been out for the past three weeks after undergoing “clean-up” knee surgery.

“Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee,” Borzello wrote on X

Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee, per the SEC Availability Report. Miles has missed the last six games with a knee injury. Meanwhile, Tennessee big man JP Estrella is questionable after missing Wednesday’s game.

Advertisement

Vanderbilt basketball coach Mark Byington also confirmed his availability during a press conference on Friday.

“Duke is expected to go,” he said. “He practiced yesterday. He’s had a good week. He hung back instead of going to Missouri with us so he could train here. We’re expecting him to go.

“He’s in incredible shape,” Byington added. “A lot of times it’s conditioning with players, but talking with my trainer, he said he’s doing great there. Watching him in practice, he looks really good. I think his rhythm will be good.”

Miles is averaging 16.6 points, 4.3 assists, 3.0 rebounds, and 2.8 steals per game. He last played for the Commodores on Jan. 24 in a contest against Mississippi State, scoring 17 points. He has since missed five games.

What Duke Miles’ return means for Vanderbilt

His return is great news for Byington’s team, as the Commodores look to improve on their 21-5 record. The team is fresh off a painful 81-80 defeat to Missouri and will be hoping to return to winning on Saturday. Having Miles on the lineup will improve the chances of that happening.

“He does a lot on the offensive end,” said Byington. “He gives us another ball handler, along with Tyler Tanner, who really makes plays out there. His steals are impactful. He makes an impact everywhere he goes.”

With his return, another big question is how many minutes Miles will be able to put in on Saturday.

Advertisement

“You’ve got to read the game, but we’re not going into the game thinking [about a minute restriction]. We’ll see how it goes,” Byington said. “I’m probably going to have to get him out at certain times, but as the coach, I feel better when he’s on the court, even if it’s his first game back. We’ll try to keep him out there.”

Tanner has been Vanderbilt’s most reliable ball handler since Duke Miles’ absence, although AK Okereke has also been helpful in filling in for Miles. However, Miles’ impact is difficult to replicate, especially with Frankie Collins also out.