Connect with us

Sports

‘Miracle on Ice’ legend Jim Craig praises this year’s USA Olympic team

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

In an interview with Fox News Digital earlier this year, “Miracle on Ice” goaltender Jim Craig said he hoped this year’s United States Olympic men’s hockey team would show “that same commitment” his 1980 squad had. Well, this team has won him over.

In an Instagram post showing the celebration from the U.S.’s overtime win over Sweden in the quarterfinals, Craig praised this year’s Olympic team as it geared up for a gold medal game against Canada on Sunday.

“You can feel it. The preparation. The poise. The response when it matters most,” Craig wrote.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM 

Jim Craig

Jim Craig celebrates Team USA’s win over USSR on Feb. 22, 1980.  (Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images)

“Great teams don’t chase history – they create it. The 1980 team proved what belief can do. This group has that same edge. Different names on the back. Same name on the front. That crest carries history. It carries sacrifice. It carries belief.

“Congratulations on the win, @usahockey. One more.”

When Craig played in the Olympics, NHL players were not allowed to participate. Craig was all for having the “best athletes in the world” compete, but on one condition.

Advertisement

“I just hope that they have that same commitment that the amateurs had, right? That what’s the most important thing isn’t their brand, or where they play. It’s about representing their country, and it’s not about themselves,” Craig said to Fox News Digital last month. 

USA huddles after win

Quinn Hughes of Team United States celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal in overtime during the Men’s Quarterfinals Playoff match between the United States and Sweden on day 12 of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic games at Milano Santagiulia Ice Hockey Arena on Feb. 18, 2026, in Milan, Italy.  (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

TEAM USA TO BATTLE CANADA FOR OLYMPIC GOLD AFTER DOMINANT PERFORMANCE AGAINST SLOVAKIA

“That’s what I’m really proud of our teammates that we were able to do. It wasn’t about who’s going to get the best contract, where are you going, how much money are you going to make? It was about what was really important, and that’s representing your country.”

For Craig, last year’s 4 Nations Face-Off proved as such, but clearly for Craig, this team has confirmed it.

Advertisement

“You can be politically correct all you want, but you can see how unpolitically correct those teams were,” Craig said about the 4 Nations squads. with a laugh. “Canada wanted to win, and the USA wanted to win, and you can even see the way that Canada has picked their team [this year]. I mean, their team now isn’t just the greatest athletes. It’s an ingredient of things that it’s going to take to beat the United States.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

“They’re tougher, there’s players that, like Herb [Brooks] said, ‘I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players.’ I really think now when they go into the Olympic Games, it isn’t who the highest scorer is. They’re really looking for something that’s going to be helping them win, and that’s something Herb did a long time ago.”

Team USA celebrates goal

United States’ Tage Thompson, second right, celebrates with his teammates after scoring his side’s fourth goal during a preliminary round game of men’s ice hockey between the United States and Germany at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

The puck will drop for gold at 8:10 a.m ET on Sunday — the 46th anniversary of the “Miracle on Ice.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Six Nations 2026: Ireland show they’re far from done after record-breaking England scalp

Published

on

After being mercilessly pummelled by France a fortnight ago, Ireland arrived in south-west London and showed the rugby world they’re not quite done yet.

On Thursday, Farrell urged his players to “fire a few shots”, and they responded to end England’s nine-match winning run at home in ruthless fashion and ruin Maro Itoje’s 100th cap.

Heavily criticised for their passive, leggy display in Paris, Ireland rediscovered the defensive grit and attacking flair that propelled them to the top of the world rankings leading into the 2023 World Cup.

There were monumental performances all over the field.

Advertisement

Caelan Doris produced one of his best displays as captain, Crowley impressed at fly-half, Rob Baloucoune delivered crucial moments at both ends of the field, and Josh van der Flier responded emphatically to being dropped for last week’s win over Italy.

But no Irish player stood taller than Jamison Gibson-Park, who epitomised Ireland’s desire to best England on both sides of the ball with a virtuoso display at scrum-half.

The British and Irish Lion, who started on the bench against Italy, scored Ireland’s first try, created the second for Baloucoune, and ended his day with a much-deserved player of the match award.

“I called it after a few of his first moments that he’d get man of the match,” legendary Irish scrum-half Conor Murray said on the Ireland Rugby Social.

Advertisement

“He kept things quick, did what he does best. Tadhg Beirne was unbelievably sharp to give him the ball for that try and everything flowed after that. He was brilliant.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Impossible:’ Matt Fitzpatrick criticizes Riviera’s famed (and controversial) par-4

Published

on

No. 10 at Riviera has drawn its fair share of criticism (and praise) from golf’s best in recent years.

Rory McIlroy said the 315-yard par-4 “stinks.” Max Homa said it is “either the best hole in the world or the worst.” Jon Rahm said it could be his “favorite hole” on the course. Collin Morikawa called it the “hardest hole” on the famed property. Tony Finau went the other way, praising the “amazing” hole.

On Friday at the Genesis Invitational, another star added his name to one side of the debate over George C. Thomas’ famed short par-4.

After making an easy par at No. 10 during Thursday’s opening round, 2022 U.S. Open champion Matthew Fitzpatrick had a different experience on Friday.

Advertisement

The pin placement during the opening round was in the back right, which allowed Fitzpatrick to make a stress-free birdie. But on Friday, the in was in the middle and just three paces from the left edge. Fitzpatrick lost his tee shot out to the right, leaving him 47 yards to the pin. After surveying his options with his caddie, Fitzpatrick elected to play his second shot well left of the pin. The thinking was that Fitzpatrick would either give himself a long birdie putt or the ball would roll down into the collection area and he’d have a chance to get up-and-down for par. But he missed his spot and ended up dumping his second into the greenside bunker. His third shot was no easier than his second. He blasted out over the green and into the collection area. He pitched up and eventually tapped in for bogey, which was one of only two bogeys he made while firing a five-under 66.

“It was a great round. Felt like I played really solid. Just bogey on 10, the world’s most impossible golf hole. I’ll leave it there,” Fitzpatrick said after his round.

“I don’t really want to talk about it too much, I’ll just get wound up. But it’s hit and hope, let’s leave it at that.”

Fitzpatrick wasn’t the only one in his threesome to get bitten by Riviera’s short par-4. Both Aaron Rai and Garrick Higgo also made bogey.

Advertisement

“We all made bogey. I said, ‘great bogeys, guys,’” Fitzpatrick said. “I got a laugh out of everyone, which was good.”

In 2023, McIlroy said that he believes the kikuyu grass that runs up to and around the green is the issue. He suggested either re-grassing that area so the ball can run up or making the green a bit softer. As it stands right now, in McIlroy’s view, there is no skill involved in the hole.

In Fitzpatrick’s mind, No. 10 at Riviera breaks one of the most important rules for a hole.

“I just don’t think it’s a fair golf hole, so I’ll just leave it at that,” Fitzpatrick said.

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

College hoops insider shares Vanderbilt star’s availability ahead of Tennessee clash 

Published

on

Vanderbilt Commodores guard Duke Miles is expected back in action for Saturday’s game against the Tennessee Volunteers, per college basketball insider Jeff Borzello. Miles has been out for the past three weeks after undergoing “clean-up” knee surgery.

“Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee,” Borzello wrote on X

Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee, per the SEC Availability Report. Miles has missed the last six games with a knee injury. Meanwhile, Tennessee big man JP Estrella is questionable after missing Wednesday’s game.

Advertisement

Vanderbilt basketball coach Mark Byington also confirmed his availability during a press conference on Friday.

“Duke is expected to go,” he said. “He practiced yesterday. He’s had a good week. He hung back instead of going to Missouri with us so he could train here. We’re expecting him to go.

“He’s in incredible shape,” Byington added. “A lot of times it’s conditioning with players, but talking with my trainer, he said he’s doing great there. Watching him in practice, he looks really good. I think his rhythm will be good.”

Miles is averaging 16.6 points, 4.3 assists, 3.0 rebounds, and 2.8 steals per game. He last played for the Commodores on Jan. 24 in a contest against Mississippi State, scoring 17 points. He has since missed five games.

What Duke Miles’ return means for Vanderbilt

His return is great news for Byington’s team, as the Commodores look to improve on their 21-5 record. The team is fresh off a painful 81-80 defeat to Missouri and will be hoping to return to winning on Saturday. Having Miles on the lineup will improve the chances of that happening.

“He does a lot on the offensive end,” said Byington. “He gives us another ball handler, along with Tyler Tanner, who really makes plays out there. His steals are impactful. He makes an impact everywhere he goes.”

With his return, another big question is how many minutes Miles will be able to put in on Saturday.

Advertisement

“You’ve got to read the game, but we’re not going into the game thinking [about a minute restriction]. We’ll see how it goes,” Byington said. “I’m probably going to have to get him out at certain times, but as the coach, I feel better when he’s on the court, even if it’s his first game back. We’ll try to keep him out there.”

Tanner has been Vanderbilt’s most reliable ball handler since Duke Miles’ absence, although AK Okereke has also been helpful in filling in for Miles. However, Miles’ impact is difficult to replicate, especially with Frankie Collins also out.