Connect with us

Sports

Winter Olympics: Closing ceremony live

Published

on

Skip next section Closing ceremony for 2026 Olympics begins

February 22, 2026

Closing ceremony for 2026 Olympics begins

And we’re off! The stunning Verona Arena is ready and starts in a fashion familiar to it, with an operatic performance getting things going in front of an audience mostly wrapped up in disposable ponchos. 

Advertisement

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpR

Skip next section European nations dominate Winter Olympic medal table

February 22, 2026

European nations dominate Winter Olympic medal table

Advertisement

As mentioned earlier, there was a distinctly European feel to the top of the medal table. Aside from the US in 2nd and Japan in 10th, the rest of the top 10 on the table were European nations.

While we wait for the ceremony to begin, it might be a good time to look at our stories on how big a difference hosting has made for the Italians and the German ski jumper who overcame a fear of heights to win gold.

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpQ

Skip next section Final weekend brings protests and PR gaffes

February 22, 2026

Advertisement

Final weekend brings protests and PR gaffes

Even at this late stage, there have been a couple of significant news lines from the Games’ final weekend. On Saturday, the IOC cleared FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who is also an IOC member, saying he had not broken the Olympic Charter’s neutrality requirement by donning a red MAGA-style USA hat at the first meeting of Donald Trump’s Board of Peace earlier in the week.

IOC chief Kirsty Coventry said she didn’t even know Infantino was an IOC member when pressed ahead of the decision during a press conference where she admitted she “wasn’t aware” of a number of issues which face her organization.

Then, on Sunday, ahead of the closing ceremony, protesters took the streets of Verona to object to having had the Games in their region. Hundreds of people marched through Verona just hours before the ceremony was set to start to protest against housing costs and environmental concerns linked to the Winter Games.

The “Olympics? No thanks” rally was organised by university groups and others that oppose hosting an event they say disrupts forests, pours concrete onto fragile land and deepens social inequality.

Advertisement

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpP

Skip next section Politics and sport prove tough to separate at 2026 Olympics

February 22, 2026

Politics and sport prove tough to separate at 2026 Olympics

Advertisement

While there have been countless sporting achievements, there have also been plenty of moments during this Games where the spotlight was away from the events.

Perhaps the biggest was the IOC decision to ban Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from wearing a helmet that featured images of Ukrainian athletes killed during Russia’s war on Ukraine.

Heraskevych told DW moments after his disqualification was announced that: “If (the) IOC reacts in a way with common sense, we will not have this terrible scandal now. And then there is much less politics in this competition and also much more attention (being paid) to the athletes in the competition now.”

Ukraine’s skeleton star slams Olympic ban over helmet

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Advertisement

The new boss of the IOC, Kirsty Coventry had tears down her eyes when announcing the decision, admitting that it was ” a message of memory and no one is disagreeing with that” but confirming it broke IOC rules.

There were also protests against the presence of American ICE agents, a British skier urinating a profanity against Donald Trump in the snow and the decision, announced during these Games, that Russian athletes can compete under their national flag at the upcoming Paralympics.

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpO

Skip next section What to expect from the Olympic closing ceremony
Advertisement

February 22, 2026

What to expect from the Olympic closing ceremony

Organizers the IOC have promised to tell the story of Italy through a “tapestry of music, art, and storytelling,” adding that the ceremony will  showcase “not only athletic excellence, but also Italian cultural identity and innovation.”

Performers include Italian singer and rapper Achille Lauro, award-winning Roman actress Benedetta Porcaroli and Italian DJ Gabry Ponte.

Advertisement

As with the opening ceremony earlier this month, each nation — with a handful of exceptions — will have chosen athletes to be their flagbearers. In Germany’s case this will be Tobias Wendl and Tobias Arlt. The pair became the country’s most successful Winter Olympians by each winning a seventh gold in luge.

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpN

Skip next section Welcome to our Winter Olympics closing ceremony coverage!

February 22, 2026

Advertisement

Welcome to our Winter Olympics closing ceremony coverage!

Hello and welcome to DW’s live blog of the 2026 Winter Olympics closing ceremony.

After 17 days of skiing, sliding, jumping and curling, the USA defeated neighbors Canada to win the last of 116 gold medals at Milan-Cortina. That left the US second on the medal table, six behind Norway whose Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo won six on his own, becoming the most successful Winter Olympian of all time in the process.

With the sport over, it will soon be time for the curtain to officially come down on the Games. The closing ceremony will take place at the Verona Olympic Arena, a beautifully preserved ancient amphitheater built in 30AD and is scheduled to start at 20:30 CET and run for somewhere approaching three hours.

Advertisement

https://p.dw.com/p/59DpI

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

After humiliating loss, Suryakumar Yadav promises: ‘We’ll come back stronger’ | Cricket News

Published

on

After humiliating loss, Suryakumar Yadav promises: 'We'll come back stronger'

NEW DELHI: Indian captain Suryakumar Yadav vowed a stronger comeback after India suffered a crushing 76-run loss to South Africa in their Group 1 Super Eights clash of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.“I feel we were always in the game when we started. I think we bowled really well in the beginning, 21 for 3, and the way they batted after that from 7 to 15, I think they batted really well, and then we came back again in the game later on. Overall, if we see, we bowled really well, but we could have batted a little better. My thing is sometimes you’ve got to think, if you’re chasing 180-185, you can’t win the game in the powerplay, but you might lose the game in the powerplay. We lost too many wickets in the powerplay and then we couldn’t have small, small partnerships which we wanted for chasing 180-185, but that’s part of the game. We learn from it, we’ll sit back and then come back stronger,” Surya said after the match.

Jay Shah: Kapil Dev deserves more credit for 1983 World Cup triumph

After winning the toss, South Africa posted 187/7, powered by David Miller’s 63 off 35 balls and Dewald Brevis’ 45 off 29 balls. The duo stitched a 97-run fourth-wicket partnership off just 51 balls. Marco Jansen (4/22), Keshav Maharaj (3/24), and Corbin Bosch (2/12) also contributed with the ball, while Lungi Ngidi kept things tight with 4 overs for 15 runs.“I think everyone knows their combination (Bumrah-Arshdeep) has been very lethal. Both of them have played together. If you see today also, both of them bowled eight overs, picked around five wickets and gave around 45-50 runs. If I’m not wrong, I’m not good with numbers. But they bowled really well in partnership and that’s what we want from them. Both are experienced and it’s good to have both of them in our side,” Surya added.India’s reply faltered from the start. Ishan Kishan fell for a duck to Markram, while Abhishek Sharma (15) and Tilak Varma (1) were dismissed in the powerplay. Shivam Dube top-scored with 42, and Hardik Pandya contributed 18, but India were bowled out for 111 in 18.5 overs.“Hopefully bat well, bowl well and field well (Talking about the plans for the next game vs Zimbabwe). That’s it. We’ll try and keep it simple, play the same brand of cricket which we want to play and nothing changes. I think we’ll come back strong,” Surya said.The loss, in front of 90,954 fans, is India’s first ICC event defeat since the 2023 ODI World Cup final, leaving them needing wins against Zimbabwe and West Indies to stay in semi-final contention with a net run rate of -3.8.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Five players expected to miss Everton vs Man Utd after Michael Carrick gives injury update

Published

on

Manchester United will face Everton in the Premier League in the Monday Night Football with both clubs having players on the sidelines

Both Manchester United and Everton are expected to have players on the sidelines for their Premier League clash on Monday evening. The Reds will travel to Merseyside to take on the Toffees in their return to top-flight action after nearly two weeks without a game.

United were not in FA Cup action last weekend, and have been preparing to face Everton since their 1-1 draw with West Ham on February 10.

Advertisement

Michael Carrick provided an update on the United squad when he spoke to the media last week, which included the latest on the players who are sidelined with injuries.

Patrick Dorgu, Matthijs de Ligt and Mason Mount all missed United’s draw with West Ham earlier this month, and neither are expected to make a return to the Reds’ clash against Everton on Monday night.

READ MORE: Scott McTominay responds to Man United transfer return questionREAD MORE: Jose Mourinho’s private text to Ruben Amorim speaks volumes after his sacking

De Ligt has been sidelined with a back injury since November, while Mount has missed United’s last three matches with a knock and that absence is expected to continue for the trip to Hill Dickinson Stadium in the Monday Night Football.

Advertisement

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

“Mason [Mount] is getting closer, we have to be patient with him.” Carrick said on Friday. “We don’t want to rush anything, he is getting closer.

Carrick added: “De Ligt is working towards it, he is a little bit behind Mason [Mount].”

Dorgu has been unavailable since the end of January with a hamstring injury and is still expected to be several weeks away from returning to the matchday squad for United.

Advertisement

Everton will also have some players on the sidelines when United travels to Merseyside. Jack Grealish is expected to miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a foot injury earlier this month.

Defender Jake O’Brien will also be unavailable for Everton, as he serves a one-game ban for a red card he picked up in the Toffees’ defeat to Bournemouth earlier this month.

Seamus Coleman has not featured for Everton since United’s defeat to the Merseyside club at Old Trafford in November, but Toffees boss David Moyes has confirmed the defender is expected to make a return for this evening’s fixture.

“Seamus [Coleman] is fit and available as well [at right-back], so we’ve got people we can choose and we’ll move on from [O’Brien’s red card],” Moyes told reporters on Friday. “He got sent off and these things happen.

Advertisement

“We’ve got everybody fit, bar Jack Grealish.”

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.

—–

Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Advertisement

Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.

And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Why this major winner is trying regular flex, graphite iron shafts

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL Players from Davis H.S. (Kaysville, UT)

Published

on




NFL Players from Davis H.S. (Kaysville, UT) | SuperWest Sports





















Advertisement





Advertisement












Advertisement














Advertisement




Advertisement

Here’s an up-to-date list of all NFL Players from Davis High School, Kaysville, Utah.

The list includes only those players who have played in an NFL game.

See where it ranks among other schools in the state here.

NFL Players from Davis HS
Advertisement



Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

PIF fuels LIV Golf with $267M capital despite multiple losses

Published

on

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has approved another major cash injection into LIV Golf, committing about $266.6 million to the league.

The approval was signed by PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan on February 1, 2026, according to Money In Sport. The latest funding pushes the fund’s total investment in LIV Golf to roughly $5.3 billion, and at the current pace it could exceed $6 billion by the end of 2026.

LIV Golf’s spending has remained high. Instead of receiving one big payment each year, the league has been funded through regular cash injections, averaging about $100 million a month during 2024 and 2025.

Advertisement

Prize money has also gone up for the 2026 season. According to Money In Sport, the overall prize fund for 2026 has risen by about $65 million. Total purses now sit at $32.3 million per event, up from $25 million previously. Individual prize money remains at $20 million per tournament, but the team component has grown significantly.

The PIF has approved $267M in fresh capital for LIV Golf, per Money in Sport

The team prize fund has doubled to $10 million per event and is now shared across all 13 teams. In addition, a new $2.3 million “individual prize via team” pool has been introduced. Captains of the top three teams can award bonuses from this fund with $1 million for first place, $800,000 for second and $500,000 for third.

Some of the increased prize money could be balanced by recent player exits. Brooks Koepka has already returned to the PGA Tour while Patrick Reed is expected to rejoin once his suspension ends in August.

Advertisement

At the same time LIV Golf appears to be cutting back on event costs. Money In Sport reported that spending on tournament staging is being reduced.

Performance 54 Group, the UK company that organizes LIV events, said in financial results for the year ending April 30, 2025 that it handled slightly more events but with smaller budgets overall which led to a slight drop in revenue. The company also said its contracts have been renewed in all markets for several more years.


LIV Golf explores selling stakes in teams to new investors

LIV Golf is preparing to open its team model to outside investors, with plans to sell minority stakes in some of its franchises for the first time. Reports suggest the Saudi-backed circuit is aiming for valuations of up to $300 million and could look to sell shares in two teams later this year.

Citigroup has reportedly been hired to handle the process. While the teams involved have not been named, one scenario being discussed includes the possibility of a controlling stake being sold rather than just a small share. LIV Golf and Citigroup have not commented publicly.

Advertisement

League officials have made it clear they see long-term value in the team structure. Executives said earlier this year that the goal is for each of the 13 franchises to eventually be worth about $1 billion. The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia remains the primary owner of LIV Golf, while team captains hold roughly 25 percent ownership in their respective sides.

Off the course, LIV continues to focus on building commercial revenue streams around the teams. Katie O’Reilly, LIV Golf’s executive vice president of business operations, said,

“Right now we are focused on things like driving sponsorship revenue – additionally we are building new businesses under the teams and we are leveraging and using our NIL rights.”

The league also expects strong income from major partners. Chief executive Scott O’Neil said last year that deals with companies such as Saudi Arabian Oil Co., HSBC, MGM Resorts and Salesforce could generate more than $500 million in revenue.

Franchise value is closely tied to star players and broadcast exposure. Big names such as Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson and Jon Rahm headline several teams while media agreements with DAZN, TNT Sports and FOX Sports help expand the league’s global reach.

Advertisement