Connect with us

Business

What Wall Street Is Saying About the Tariffs Ruling

Published

on

The Supreme Court Tariff Ruling Is Good for Stocks, Says Wall Street Strategist

Wall Street doesn’t believe the impact of the Supreme Court’s IEEPA tariff decision will be all that significant.

Tariffs have increased costs and eaten into profits at companies ranging from Caterpillar to General Motors. Still, most manufacturing stocks have been strong over the past year, with management teams working to offset the impact of new levies on imports.

William Blair industrial analyst Ryan Merkel wrote Friday that the impact of the decision was likely “small and may be offset by new tariffs,” adding that tariffs have been responsible for about one-third of recent price hikes by industrial distributors. The prices of one such distributor, Fastenal, rose about 3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2025–while pricing was flat in the fourth quarter of 2024.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Microsoft’s Head of Gaming to Retire After 38 Years at Company

Published

on

Microsoft’s Head of Gaming to Retire After 38 Years at Company

Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s MSFT -0.31%decrease; red down pointing triangle executive vice president and chief executive of gaming, is set to retire from the company after 38 years, a run during which he built the company up as a videogames powerhouse only to see it lose ground in recent years.

Microsoft has promoted Asha Sharma, president of its CoreAI Product unit, to succeed Spencer as head of Microsoft Gaming, effective immediately, according to the company.

Copyright ©2026 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Continue Reading

Business

South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands

Published

on

South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands


South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands

Continue Reading

Business

Australia threatens countermeasures as Trump’s global tariffs hit 15%

Published

on


Australia threatens countermeasures as Trump’s global tariffs hit 15%

Continue Reading

Business

Stocks End the Week Higher After Supreme Court Tosses Trump’s Tariffs

Published

on

Stocks End the Week Higher After Supreme Court Tosses Trump’s Tariffs

U.S. stocks ended the week on a high note after the Supreme Court threw out President Trump’s sweeping tariffs, with all three major indexes logging weekly gains. 

The gains held on even after Trump threatened a 10% global tariff to replace those thrown out by America’s highest court. The S&P 500 advanced 1.1% for the week, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.3%. The Nasdaq composite rose 1.5%, snapping its longest streak of consecutive weekly declines since 2022, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

Copyright ©2026 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Continue Reading

Business

Asian economies weigh impact of fresh Trump tariff moves, confusion

Published

on

Asian economies weigh impact of fresh Trump tariff moves, confusion


Asian economies weigh impact of fresh Trump tariff moves, confusion

Continue Reading

Business

Trump says Indo-Pacific energy meeting to be held in Tokyo in March

Published

on

Trump says Indo-Pacific energy meeting to be held in Tokyo in March


Trump says Indo-Pacific energy meeting to be held in Tokyo in March

Continue Reading

Business

JPMorgan admits closing accounts tied to Trump weeks after Jan. 6, 2021

Published

on

JPMorgan admits closing accounts tied to Trump weeks after Jan. 6, 2021

JPMorgan Chase Bank recently admitted it closed President Donald Trump‘s bank accounts following the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol, a confession spurred by a $5 billion legal challenge from the president last month.

The suit, brought against the bank and its CEO, Jamie Dimon, in Miami state court, accused the financial institution of debanking Trump for political reasons.

Advertisement

In a new court filing, Dan Wilkening, chief administrative officer for global banking at JPMorgan, confirmed that in February 2021, the bank informed Trump and several of his hospitality companies that certain accounts would be closed.

Copies of formal letters sent by JPMorgan are dated Feb. 19, 2021.

TRUMP SUES JPMORGAN CHASE AND CEO JAMIE DIMON FOR $5B OVER ALLEGED ‘POLITICAL’ DEBANKING

Marquee at the main entrance to the JPMorgan Chase Headquarters Building in Manhattan.

Marquee at the main entrance to the JPMorgan Chase Headquarters Building in Manhattan. (Erik McGregor/LightRocket via Getty Images / Getty Images)

One letter addressed to Jeffrey McConney, of The Trump Corporation, explicitly states, “JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (‘we’) has decided to close its banking relationship with The Trump Corporation and its affiliated entities.”

Advertisement

Another letter addressed directly to Trump states, “We may determine that a client’s interests are no longer served by maintaining a relationship. … With that in mind, this letter is to respectfully inform you that we will need to end our current relationship.”

Wilkening claimed the bank handled the remaining balances in the accounts by working with Trump and his companies to move their funds to other institutions, in accordance with the bank’s standard account agreements.

Trump and his companies were given until April 19, 2021, to transfer hundreds of millions of dollars before the accounts were officially closed.

Ticker Security Last Change Change %
JPM JPMORGAN CHASE & CO. 310.79 +2.74 +0.89%

TRUMP SAYS HE WILL SUE JPMORGAN CHASE OVER ‘INCORRECT’ POST-JAN 6 DEBANKING

Advertisement

His attorneys alleged that Bank of America later refused to accept large deposits when he attempted to bank elsewhere.

While the bank’s letters do not provide a specific reason for the closures, Trump attorneys are alleging the accounts were “unlawfully closed due to political discrimination” and that they were placed on a “blacklist.”

In an earlier filing, Trump’s attorneys noted he was a JPMorgan customer for decades, and he and his affiliated entities transacted “hundreds of millions of dollars” through the bank.

Based on account agreements JPMorgan shared with the court, the institution can justify closing certain accounts, with or without cause, and generally permit either party to terminate accounts with at least 30 days written notice.

Advertisement
Bank executive speaks to an audience during a conference focused on business and innovation.

Jamie Dimon, chief executive officer of JPMorgan Chase & Co., speaks during the America Business Forum in Miami, Nov. 6, 2025. (Eva Marie Uzcategui/Bloomberg via Getty Images / Getty Images)

The agreements also authorize closure upon written notice of specific reasons, including breach of contract, financial impairment or insolvency, legal or regulatory requirements, or activities the bank in “good faith” believes violate its policies.

JPMorgan’s policies are primarily structured around regulatory compliance and risk management, specifically anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism, government sanctions, unlawful transactions, and adherence to general legal and banking standards.

The agreements note customers must comply with all notified bank policies, and the bank reserves the right to refuse transactions, freeze funds or close accounts without further notice if it determines an activity conflicts with its policies.

Trump’s attorneys are accusing JPMorgan Chase and its CEO of trade libel, violating Florida’s unfair and deceptive trade practices act, declaratory relief and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing — demanding a jury trial.

Advertisement

TRUMP ORGANIZATION, ERIC TRUMP SUE CAPITAL ONE FOR ‘UNJUSTIFIABLE’ 2021 DEBANKING BASED ON ‘WOKE’ BELIEFS

Lawyers said they are “confident that JPMC’s unilateral decision came about as a result of political and social motivations, and JPMC’s unsubstantiated, ‘woke’ beliefs that it needed to distance itself from President Trump and his conservative political views.”

“In addition to the considerable financial and reputational harm that Plaintiffs and their affiliated entities suffered, JPMC’s reckless decision is leading a growing trend by financial institutions in the United States of America to cut off a consumer’s access to banking services if their political views contradict with those of the financial institution,” Trump’s attorneys wrote in the initial complaint.

Dimon in 2025 denied that his institution debanks customers based on political views.

Advertisement
Trump and JP Morgan Chase logo split

President Donald Trump had been a customer of JPMorgan for decades, according to the lawsuit. (Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg via Getty Images; ANGELA WEISS/AFP via Getty Images / Getty Images)

“We don’t debank people because of political or religious affiliations,” Dimon said on Capitol Hill Feb. 13, 2025. “But there are a lot of things that can be fixed. We should fix them. The rules and requirements are so onerous, and it does cause people to be debanked in my opinion, should not be debated.”

The Trump Organization also sued Capital One in 2025, claiming the bank in 2021 “unjustifiably” terminated more than 300 of its bank accounts, and accounts belonging to Trump family members.

At the time, a Capital One spokesperson told Fox News Digital, “Capital One has not and does not close customer accounts for political reasons.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

JPMorgan Chase did not immediately respond to FOX Business’ request for comment.

FOX Business’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Business

GE Just Hit Another Record. No One Noticed.

Published

on

GE Just Hit Another Record. No One Noticed.

GE Just Hit Another Record. No One Noticed.

Continue Reading

Business

The 1-Minute Market Report, February 22, 2026 (NYSEARCA:SPY)

Published

on

Looking At Kyndryl After A 50%+ Drop

This article was written by

For 28 years, I was a professional trader, analyst & portfolio manager. I ran the equity trading desk at Northern Trust Co. in Chicago. Now I am a private investor, the founder of a nonprofit investor advocacy firm, and a private investing coach. My average annual return is 17.2%. The time period is from January 2009, when I first began publishing my stock picks, to the end of 2024. I publish my picks in newsletter format and send them directly to subscribers on a weekly basis. For my complete market outlook and model portfolio updates, visit zeninvestor.org.

Analyst’s Disclosure: I/we have a beneficial long position in the shares of NVDA, AVGO, GOOGL either through stock ownership, options, or other derivatives. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Seeking Alpha’s Disclosure: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. Any views or opinions expressed above may not reflect those of Seeking Alpha as a whole. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank. Our analysts are third party authors that include both professional investors and individual investors who may not be licensed or certified by any institute or regulatory body.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

Detroit Automakers Raise Concern to White House About Potential New Tariffs

Published

on

Ryan Felton hedcut

A trade group representing Detroit’s Big Three automakers expressed concern in a letter Friday to President Trump’s top trade officials about the potential of new tariffs being imposed, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The American Automotive Policy Council, which represents General Motors, Ford Motor and Jeep-maker Stellantis, asked the White House to exclude from any new levies that might be imposed those vehicles and parts covered by tariffs that remain after the High Court’s tariff decision on Friday.

The letter was sent shortly after the Court’s ruling was handed down, the person said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025