NewsBeat

‘I don’t need your money, I’ll sort you out’: Thug ‘could have killed’ man in horror attack in Piccadilly Gardens

Published

on

A judge described the injury Said Sadat inflicted as ‘graphic and horrendous’

Advertisement

This is the mug shot of a thug who stabbed a stranger in the neck with a broken bottle in Piccadilly Gardens. Said Sadat was jailed for more than three years this week following the violent attack on July 27 last year.

The 19-year-old was approached by his would-be victim over payment of a debt. He told Sadat he was settling on his cousin’s behalf and handed him a £20 note.

Sadat ripped the note up and hissed: “I don’t need your money, I will sort you out.”

Click here to prioritise Manchester news in Google from the MEN

Advertisement

Manchester Crown Court heard he left, but returned armed with a broken bottle. He slashed at the man, leaving him with a large wound to his neck.

Sadat was arrested as the victim was rushed to hospital, where he received emergency surgery for a 12cm wound to his neck. He was also treated for lacerations to his upper left arm and right hand.

Sadat pleaded guilty to section 20 wounding on a basis that he did not have a knife and instead used a broken bottle, prosecutor Hayley Parkes said.

The court heard Sadat was on bail at the time having been arrested for another attack in the city centre, along with two others who had chased down two pals on a night out in Manchester city centre on June 15, 2024.

Advertisement

Huw Edwards, defending, said he Sadat a difficult upbringing in Afghanistan before moving to the UK when he was 17. He said he was a ‘young man’ and had limited previous convictions.

Jailing him, Recorder Ciaran Rankin said: “I have seen the graphic and horrendous neck injury. It’s only by good luck, not good fortune, you are not facing a more serious offence. You could have killed that man.”

Sadat, of Block Lane, Chadderton, Oldham, was jailed for three years and nine months for theft; assault occasioning actual bodily harm and section 20 wounding. The charges covered both incidents.

Detective Constable Peter Viney of GMP’s City of Manchester CID, who led the investigation, said: “This was a violent and unprovoked attack in one of the busiest areas of the city centre. I would like to commend the quick actions of officers and the bravery of members of the public at the scene who helped the victim who had been severely injured.

Advertisement

“Sadat’s sentencing today reflects the gravity of his actions and our ongoing commitment to tackling knife crime and violence in Manchester.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version