NewsBeat

Security upgrades planned at Longsight Park after travellers leave

Published

on

Eight caravans had been parked at Longsight Park last Thursday (May 14), before Bolton Council served a legal notice ordering those on the site to leave.

The authority carried out welfare checks before beginning legal proceedings and confirmed no health concerns were identified among the occupants.

Attention has now turned to preventing similar incidents from happening again, with councillors and council officers reviewing security at the park.

Proposals being considered include upgraded metal barriers, stronger locks and pull-up bollards at entrances to the site.

Advertisement

Caravans and tents spotted on Longsight Park. (Image: NQ)

Cllr James Moller, of Bradshaw ward, said: “They’ve now left and they are locking the gate today [May 21].

“They’re updating the metal barrier and putting a new lock on. The council is also looking at what other measures they can put in place to stop people cutting it off.

“We’ve proposed improving the barriers and putting in pull-up bollards as well. We want to make it secure but still easy to access.”

Bolton Council said it had followed the appropriate legal process after becoming aware of the unauthorised encampment at the park.

Advertisement

A Bolton Council spokesperson previously said they were “aware of an unauthorised encampment at Longsight Park”.

They added that “all the appropriate welfare checks” had been carried out, and they “started the legal process to have the encampment removed”.

The discussion around extra security measures also follows previous concerns about quad bikes damaging the land earlier this year.

Advertisement

Source link

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version