The new service will operate in the early hours of the morning on certain weeknights
A university has launched a new shuttle bus service to bring students home safely after a night out in town.
Queen’s University Belfast’s Get Home Safe service launched on February 11, and offers students free transport home from Kremlin and Limelight to the Holyland area every Wednesday and Thursday night, with pickups at 12am and 2am.
The pilot initative is delivered in partnership with SOS Bus NI, and is part of the wider Queen’s safety programme, which also includes its PSNI-backed drink check initative to combat drink spiking, and campus safety events.
READ MORE: Man who left school with one GSCE thanks Van Morrison for Queen’s scholarshipREAD MORE: Belfast community groups call for 2 Royal Avenue to be kept in public ownership
The new service directly responds to concerns raised by students regarding late-night travel, and aims to provide a safe, reliable way to get home, while supporting a safer night-time economy in the city.
Each shuttle bus fits seven students, and to access the service, they will simply need to show the driver their student card. Students will be picked up at Kremlin and Limelight, with the service going from there to the Holylands area. The pilot scheme is in place from now until the end of April.
Speaking to Belfast Live, the president of Queen’s University Students’ Union, Amy Smith, said the new service is a proactive measure to ensure student safety. She said: “It makes sure students have a great night out and don’t have to worry about how they get home.
“It’s also great as the bus is free which is helping with our cost of living priorities. We know the cost of living is a current crisis for our students, so we would never want them to worry about that and compromise that over their safety.
“All students have to do is have their student card, or have their student card on the app. If they show that to their driver, they’ll let them on then the driver will bring them home safety.
“It’s going to provide a lot of reassurance to students. Rather than reacting to a crisis, it’s just preventing things that could happen in the future.”
Queen’s University’s Neighbourhood Engagement Officer, Ryan Rankin, said the new service is directly responding to concerns students have expressed. He said the selected venues came based on student demand, but that if there is demand for other venues, the university will take this on board.
He added: “Limelight is a very popular student location, and we wanted to pick another location in the city centre which is popular, and somewhere students would maybe otherwise walk to, which is Kremlin.
“We are listening to feedback and if feedback comes back with different venues that would work, we will certainly take that on board in the future.”
SOS Bus NI CEO, Micky Murray, said they are happy to team up with Queen’s University for the initative, and hopes it provides reassurance for students.
He said: “We want to make sure students get home safely during the week on those nights there is no late night public transport.
“We’re hearing straight from students that this initative which only launched last week is making them feel safer, helping them feel more comfortable when they’re out as there is a fear of being assaulted or being a victim when out when travelling home in the early hours of the morning.”
Want to see more of the stories you love from Belfast Live? Making us your preferred source on Google means you’ll get more of our exclusives, top stories and must-read content straight away. To add Belfast Live as a preferred source, simply click here.



