Connect with us

Sports

Bayern Munich’s Jamal Musiala collapses on pitch again

Published

on

Germany international Jamal Musiala has collapsed during a match for the second time in four days. He was helped off the pitch looking dazed just six minutes after coming on as a subsititute in Bayern Munich’s 4-2 friendly win at Heidenheim on Tuesday. Musiala collapsed in similar fashion in a match against RB Leipzig a few days earlier.

After the Heidenheim game, Musiala explained in an Instagram post that the blackouts were caused by a “neurological dysfunction” known as “absence seizures.”

“I’ve been diagnosed with temporary, brief, but easily treatable absence seizures, which are due to a neurological dysfunction,” he wrote in the post, which drew support from many in the football world, including Bayern keeper Manuel Neuer and former Germany and Bayern forward Thomas Müller.

“These can lead to the recent episodes, like the one against Leipzig or now in Heidenheim. I know they seem scary at first glance but for me, they’re currently just part of my everyday life.

“I’m receiving excellent medical treatment and am very optimistic. FC Bayern and my family and friends are always by my side and supporting me on this journey.”

Advertisement

What are absence seizures?

Once known as “petit mal” seizures, absence seizures are split in to two types — typical and atypical. It is not yet clear which of these Musiala is experiencing.

Typical cases cause a person to stop anything they are doing in an instant and appear to “switch off.” Sometimes their eyes may look upwards or flutter. They last between 10 and 20 seconds, and may cause some confusion for a few seconds afterwards, before the person returns to their usual state.

Atypical cases usually last a little longer and may also include chewing or lip smacking movements, hand motions or repetitive blinking.

How to manage the stigma around epilepsy

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Advertisement

Both are a type of epilepsy and, according to the Epilepsy Foundation, are caused by “brief abnormal electrical activity in a person’s brain.” They are most commonly found in children but can occur in adults, and the foundation said they can be occurring for a long time before being diagnosed, depending on the environment in which they occur.

The foundation added that some people may have “hundreds of brief absence seizures a day.” Treatment is not generally required, but some medicines are available for more serious cases.

 Is Jamal Musiala’s career at risk?

Bayern Munich told German press agency DPA that the absence seizures were no threat to Musiala’s career, but it seems apparent that collapsing on the pitch will be difficult to manage if it doesn’t clear up.

Advertisement

Although very different in nature, the seizures are another setback for a player who has struggled with fitness in recent years. Musiala, 23, broke his leg in the Club World Cup last July and found it difficult to regain fitness and form. In March he was hit by an ankle injury.

He did make the Germany World Cup squad in June, but looked off the pace for much of the tournament. He then required a small operation to remove a metal plate from his foot, left over from last year’s leg operation.

What’s next for Jamal Musiala and Bayern Munich?

Bayern’s season begins on Saturday with the German Super Cup, rebranded as the “Franz Beckenbauer Supercup” this season. The match usually pits the German champions against the German Cup winners but, with Bayern having won both last year, they face league runners up Borussia Dortmund. They open their Bundesliga title defense the following Friday, August 28, against Stuttgart in Munich.

Bayern Munich players help a stricken Jamal Musiala after he collapsed on the ptich
Bayern Munich players and medics rushed to help Musiala after his first collapse against RB Leipzig, only for it to happen again days laterImage: Bernd Feil/MIS/IMAGO

It’s unclear whether Musiala will play any part in either of these games and how Bayern and the player will manage the seizures, but Musiala remains upbeat.

“It has been my personal desire to take on this challenge and, with the approval of the neurologists, to continue focusing on what helps me most in my recovery: simply living my everyday life and continuing to pursue my passion for playing football,” he wrote.

Advertisement

“I have taken responsibility for this. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track. What helps me most on this journey is continuing to chase victories and titles with my team and your amazing support.”

Edited by: Chuck Penfold

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Premier League CEO pressed on Man City’s 115 charges and timing of case – ‘Only one option’

Published

on

Premier League CEO Richard Masters has responded to recent criticism of Manchester City’s case in relation to 115 alleged breaches of financial rules

Premier League CEO Richard Masters has responded to criticism of the ongoing wait for an outcome from an independent commission into Manchester City’s alleged 115 breaches of financial regulations, stating the panel “need time and space to do their work.”

Masters admitted the process was “taking longer than expected” earlier this week, yet maintained the verdict remains firmly in the hands of the independent commission. It’s now more than three-and-a-half years since City were first charged, with the club having always denied any wrongdoing.

Advertisement

The Premier League is facing mounting pressure to bring the “hugely complex” case to a conclusion with the new Premier League campaign just days away. Arsenal chief executive Richard Garlick is among the latest prominent figures to demand clarity.

It’s now been over 18 months since the disciplinary hearing was brought to a close. When asked on Wednesday whether the case risked simply fading into the background, Masters said: “It will resolve itself, but as you know, I literally can’t say anything about it.

“There’s only one available option, which is to allow the process to reach its natural conclusion and I can’t talk about the substance of the case, I can’t talk about the timing of the case.

Advertisement

“Our rules are very clear about that. Yesterday, I accepted that it would take longer than perhaps anyone had expected. The knowledge that people wanted to know – what the outcome was – needed to know what the outcome was. But the process was the process. I literally can’t answer beyond what I’ve already said.”

Masters denied that other clubs are pressing for a verdict, at least, that isn’t the impression he gets from his conversations. He said: “I obviously speak to clubs all the time. It’s not necessarily a topic of conversation that is top of the list.

“(There are) lots of other things to talk about and do. As you say, the Premier League moves on. It’s starting (again) on Friday evening.”

Advertisement

Masters was also challenged on whether the Premier League could do anything to speed things up, to which he said: “We’ve always said that the commission needs time and space to do their work, and in the end, as you know, it’s the league’s job as the regulator to provide the evidences there, to put serious allegations in front of the independent commission, the independent process, to establish the truth.”

Content cannot be displayed without consent

He was also transparent about the frustration that has plagued the case, explaining: “I just have to accept the fact that people are frustrated and want to know and I can’t add anything further.”

Earlier this week, Arsenal CEO Garlick told the BBC that “everyone” around the Premier League was eagerly awaiting an update.

“He said: “It has gone on for a while. Everybody, the league and the teams, would want the clarity around what’s going to happen next.

Advertisement

“But it’s not something that I can control. It’s not something that I can speculate on. And I just hope that there is a solution very quickly.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

India Star Told ‘Not To Play In IPL’ In Big Verdict: “Don’t Change Your Strength”

Published

on




Manav Suthar left everyone impressed with a sensational bowling performance as India registered a commanding 165-run victory over Sri Lanka in the first Test of the two-match series in Galle on Wednesday. The 24-year-old spinner, playing only his second Test for India, picked up six wickets in the second innings to finish with a remarkable 10-wicket match haul. Having made his Test debut against Afghanistan in June, Suthar had already announced his arrival on the international stage with a five-wicket haul. He followed it up with another outstanding display in Galle, playing a key role in India’s victory.

With India taking a 1-0 lead in the two-match series, former India batter Cheteshwar Pujara urged Suthar to remain focused on red-ball cricket rather than chasing an IPL contract. Pujara also appealed to the Indian team management to “preserve” the young spinner for the longest format of the game.

“Try to preserve him. We have had this discussion in the past that, yes, all the young players might want to play the shorter format, but India should be looking to preserve him for the Test format. Yes, he might want to play the IPL, but don’t go there. I mean, yes, if he gets the opportunity to play the IPL, that’s fine, but don’t change your strength,” Pujara said on the Sony Sports Network.

Advertisement

“I think he doesn’t need to change his bowling much. Just when it comes to white-ball cricket, you need to have that flatter trajectory, and I don’t mind him playing in the IPL. If he plays in the IPL, if he’s successful in the IPL, that is fine, but don’t change your strength,” he added.

Pujara further stated that Suthar does not need to alter his bowling action, as his natural ability and skill set are already helping him thrive in red-ball cricket.

“For someone like Manav Suthar, who is flighting the ball, who is willing to go a little slower, when it comes to red-ball cricket, you don’t need to change that. Don’t change yourself just for the IPL. I can understand, but don’t change your natural ability, which is to flight the ball,” said Pujara.

Speaking about Suthar’s T20 credentials, the Rajasthan-born spinner has featured in five IPL matches and picked up two wickets. He is currently a member of the Shubman Gill-led Gujarat Titans squad.

Advertisement


Featured Video Of The Day


“Winning World Cup Most Beautiful thing”: Golden Ball Winner Rodri

Topics mentioned in this article

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert issues statement about Nneka Ogwumike’s retirement

Published

on

With former MVP Nneka Ogwumike announcing her retirement following the 2026 WNBA season, Commissioner Cathy Engelbert has spoken about her incredible career.

Once she retires following the 2026 WNBA season, fans will be able to truly appreciate Nneka Ogwumike’s impact on women’s basketball as well as the league.

Advertisement

Following the 36-year-old’s announcement on Wednesday, there was an outpouring of appreciation and tributes from the WNBA world for the former champion.

Advertisement

The first overall draft pick in 2012, Ogwumike has enjoyed an exceptional career. And with her peers showing her love, league commissioner Cathy Engelbert wasn’t far behind.

Photo by Soobum Im/Getty Images

Photo by Soobum Im/Getty Images

Cathy Engelbert praises Nneka Ogwumike’s ‘grace and conviction’ in heartfelt tribute

The Los Angeles Sparks legend has achieved much more in the W than just her exploits on the court. As the WNBPA President for 10 years, Ogwumike has been instrumental in shaping the league.

Advertisement

Advertisement

In her role and as an extremely prominent voice in the league, Ogwumike has interacted a lot with Engelbert. Thus, it is not surprising that the latter’s statement about the retirement seems very heartfelt.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

UNLV Football Record vs. the Top Programs in West

Published

on


  By SuperWest Sports Staff


As we count down to the first college football game of the 2026 season, we continue our series on the records of each top CFB program in the West against all others in the region.

UNLV logoSome schools have met many times over the years, while others are beginning new rivalries in the wake of recent realignment.

For each opponent in the table below, we provide the total games played, wins, losses, ties, winning percentage, first year played, and most recent contest.

We continue with UNLV, which has played 409 games against regional foes, winning 151, losing 256, and recording 2 ties, for a winning percentage of .372.

Advertisement

The Rebels have recorded the most wins (23), played the most games (51), and lost the most games (28) against Nevada.

Here is a breakdown of UNLV’s records vs. the region’s teams.


UNLV Football Wins vs. the Top Programs in the West
Opponent Games W L T Win % First Game Most Recent
Air Force 26 8 18 0 30.8 11/21/1981 10/11/2025
Arizona 3 0 3 0 00.0 09/22/2001 08/29/2014
ASU 2 1 1 0 50.0 09/13/2008 09/11/2021
Boise State 16 3 13 0 18.8 09/16/1972 12/05/2025
BYU 20 3 17 0 15.0 12/02/1978 11/10/2017
Cal 2 1 1 0 50.0 09/10/2022 12/18/2024
Colorado State 26 8 17 1 32.7 10/21/1978 11/08/2025
Fresno State 27 8 19 0 29.6 11/03/1979 09/28/2024
Hawai’i 35 16 19 0 45.7 10/25/1969 11/21/2025
Nevada 51 23 28 0 45.1 11/22/1969 11/29/2025
New Mexico 28 15 13 0 53.6 09/23/1978 11/01/2025
New Mexico State 12 9 3 0 75.0 09/15/1984 11/18/1995
Oregon 2 0 2 0 00.0 10/25/1980 09/26/1992
Oregon State 6 4 2 0 66.7 10/01/983 10/19/2024
San Diego State 33 11 22 0 33.3 10/22/1977 11/16/2024
San Jose State 29 8 20 1 29.3 09/05/1981 11/22/2024
UCLA 3 1 2 0 33.3 09/12/2015 09/06/2025
USC 2 0 2 0 00.0 10/04/1997 09/01/2018
UTEP 9 7 2 0 77.8 11/18/1978 09/23/2023
Utah 16 2 14 0 12.5 10/20/1979 09/11/2010
Utah State 28 10 18 0 35.7 09/25/1971 11/15/2025
WSU 6 0 6 0 00.0 09/09/1978 09/14/2012
Wyoming 27 13 14 0 48.1 11/11/1978 10/04/2025

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

I am worried about 1 player

Published

on

Former India player Mohammad Kaif has expressed concern about Kuldeep Yadav’s place in the playing XI for the second Test against Sri Lanka. He pointed out that the visitors had to use Devdutt Padikkal with the ball in the first Test because they lacked an off-spinner.

India registered an emphatic 165-run win in the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle. The second Test will be played in Colombo from Sunday, August 23, onwards.

During a discussion on Sony Sports, Kaif opined that Saransh Jain might replace Kuldeep in the playing XI for the second Test.

“I am worried about one player – Kuldeep Yadav. He might not play the next match. That’s also possible. Whenever he was given bowling, he was given short spells. He didn’t get long spells. Saransh Jain is an off-spinner. Why did Padikkal come to bowl? It was because the lack of an off-spinner was seen in the middle,” he said.

The former India batter pointed out that an off-spinner’s absence was felt in Galle and Kuldeep wasn’t used effectively either.

“When the two left-handers were batting, they were searching for an off-spinner. If they get a turning track and a slow pitch, considering that the absence of an off-spinner was felt and the way Kuldeep was used, I feel that decision might have to be taken. I feel Kuldeep Yadav might not get a chance in the XI. Saransh Jain might get an entry in Colombo,” Kaif observed.

Kuldeep Yadav registered figures of 1/65 in 14 overs in Sri Lanka’s first innings of the Galle Test. He went wicketless and conceded 38 runs in 11 overs in the second innings.


“I want Team India to back Kuldeep Yadav” – Ajinkya Rahane

In the same discussion, former India batter Ajinkya Rahane urged the team management to persist with Kuldeep Yadav if the second Test is played in similar conditions.

Advertisement

“If the wicket is like this, I want Team India to back Kuldeep Yadav because he is a high-quality bowler. He is a match-winner and a wicket-taker. He will have to be played here because he has come into the team after a long time. So he will have to be given a chance again,” he said.

The cricketer-turned-commentator added that the left-arm wrist-spinner needs to be backed to boost his confidence.

“How do you build a player’s confidence? Replacing someone is very easy. When there are three spinners, one guy will bowl fewer overs. Manav Suthar and Ravindra Jadeja bowled very well here, but if the conditions are the same, I feel Team India should back Kuldeep Yadav and increase his confidence,” Rahane observed.

Manav Suthar (4/76 in 21.4 overs in the first innings and 6/55 in 23.4 overs in the second innings) was the visitors’ star performer with the ball in the first Test. Ravindra Jadeja registered figures of 3/57 in 21 overs in the first innings and 1/71 in 23 overs in the second innings.