Premier League CEO Richard Masters has responded to recent criticism of Manchester City’s case in relation to 115 alleged breaches of financial rules
Premier League CEO Richard Masters has responded to criticism of the ongoing wait for an outcome from an independent commission into Manchester City’s alleged 115 breaches of financial regulations, stating the panel “need time and space to do their work.”
Masters admitted the process was “taking longer than expected” earlier this week, yet maintained the verdict remains firmly in the hands of the independent commission. It’s now more than three-and-a-half years since City were first charged, with the club having always denied any wrongdoing.
The Premier League is facing mounting pressure to bring the “hugely complex” case to a conclusion with the new Premier League campaign just days away. Arsenal chief executive Richard Garlick is among the latest prominent figures to demand clarity.
It’s now been over 18 months since the disciplinary hearing was brought to a close. When asked on Wednesday whether the case risked simply fading into the background, Masters said: “It will resolve itself, but as you know, I literally can’t say anything about it.
“There’s only one available option, which is to allow the process to reach its natural conclusion and I can’t talk about the substance of the case, I can’t talk about the timing of the case.
“Our rules are very clear about that. Yesterday, I accepted that it would take longer than perhaps anyone had expected. The knowledge that people wanted to know – what the outcome was – needed to know what the outcome was. But the process was the process. I literally can’t answer beyond what I’ve already said.”
Masters denied that other clubs are pressing for a verdict, at least, that isn’t the impression he gets from his conversations. He said: “I obviously speak to clubs all the time. It’s not necessarily a topic of conversation that is top of the list.
“(There are) lots of other things to talk about and do. As you say, the Premier League moves on. It’s starting (again) on Friday evening.”
Masters was also challenged on whether the Premier League could do anything to speed things up, to which he said: “We’ve always said that the commission needs time and space to do their work, and in the end, as you know, it’s the league’s job as the regulator to provide the evidences there, to put serious allegations in front of the independent commission, the independent process, to establish the truth.”
He was also transparent about the frustration that has plagued the case, explaining: “I just have to accept the fact that people are frustrated and want to know and I can’t add anything further.”
Earlier this week, Arsenal CEO Garlick told the BBC that “everyone” around the Premier League was eagerly awaiting an update.
“He said: “It has gone on for a while. Everybody, the league and the teams, would want the clarity around what’s going to happen next.
“But it’s not something that I can control. It’s not something that I can speculate on. And I just hope that there is a solution very quickly.”

SMU has a chance, led by QB Kevin Jennings, to be a dark-horse Playoff threat in the ACC.





You must be logged in to post a comment Login