‘What a lad. I love him.’
A bride received a surprise message from the Prime Minister on her wedding day after she sent a direct tongue-in-cheek appeal for him not to ‘ruin’ the event.
The government’s new northern headquarters, Number 10 North, was opened by Andy Burnham last month in Heron House, facing Albert Square in Manchester city centre.
The registry office is based in the same building, with the entrance being around the corner on Lloyd Street.
Click here to get the biggest stories straight to your inbox in our Daily Newsletter
A number of bridal parties could be seen making their way into the building amid a heavy police presence in the area when it was officially opened last month.
In a video posted on TikTok, titled ‘Andy Burnham please don’t ruin my wedding’, after it opened, bride-to-be Sarah ‘Saz’ Burwin said: “I saw you set up your new gaff, Number 10 North, at Heron House. I saw it on the news, gorgeous, love what you’ve done with the place.
“But I’m actually getting married there on the 21st of August, and on the news today, the place was surrounded with police, bollards, all sorts. A lot of stuff that wasn’t there before.
“My trouble is, I was planning to get nice photos like after, the registry office, outside, and I’m just a bit worried that all of this is kind of ruining the vibe.”
She added: “So I would really appreciate it if you were maybe not there that day. I mean, you’re welcome, you’re invited. But maybe without the escorts, the police escorts. The guys with the rifles and s**t, because I’ve got a content creator coming.
“So I don’t really know what we’re gonna do if it’s surrounded by the military and police, you know. Just something to think on. No pressure. But if you could, you know, give them an hour off. I am just a little bit concerned about that, if you could let me know.”
At the time Mr Burnham’s TikTok replied to her saying: “Noted Saz.”
In an update posted on the social media site following her nuptials on Friday, Saz shared a special video message which Mr Burnham recorded for her inside Number 10 North, and which was played to her and her new husband after they tied the knot.
In it, the PM said: “Saz, an absolutely huge congratulations to you and Fred on your wedding day. Thank you so much for the invite, but sadly, I’m honouring your initial request for me to stay out of the way, as I’m filming this as I’m about to leave Number 10 North for the day.
“Hopefully that’s good news for your content creator, though. But I couldn’t let the day go by without sending you both a message. I hope you have the best day celebrating and thank you for being such a good sport about Number 10 North suddenly being such a big part of your big day.
“The DJ set will have to wait for another time, sadly, but I hope you play some good tunes on my behalf, some big Manchester bangers. Anyway, huge congratulations to you both, it’s great to see Number 10 North already bringing people together.”
Saz, who had been documenting her wedding preparations on the social media site, could be seen covering her mouth in shock and giggling as the message was played.
She said afterwards: “Oh my god! What a lad. I love him.” Adding: “I’m best mates with Andy Burnham.”
In a comment on her TikTok post, Mr Burnham said: “Hope you and Fred had an amazing day Saz! Sorry I couldn’t do that DJ set…” She replied, saying he had ‘made our day.’


You must be logged in to post a comment Login