Business

Sydney Swans Players Involved in Alleged Melbourne Hotel Incident as Police Investigate Sexual Assault Report

Published

on

MELBOURNE — Victoria Police are investigating a report of sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne after the Sydney Swans confirmed that several of its players were involved in what the club described as an “alleged incident” following their Australian Football League match against Essendon on Sunday night.

The Swans issued a statement just after midday Monday confirming the involvement of multiple players, though the club did not name any individuals or provide details of what allegedly occurred. “The Swans have notified the AFL and relevant authorities and cannot provide further comment at this stage,” the club said in its statement.

Victoria Police separately confirmed detectives were investigating a report filed in connection with the incident. “Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” a police spokesperson said in a statement provided to Australian Associated Press. “The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.” The spokesperson added that the exact circumstances had yet to be established and that the investigation remained ongoing.

The alleged incident took place at the Pullman hotel in East Melbourne, where the Swans had been staying overnight following their 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday evening, a result that locked in second place on the AFL ladder and secured the club a home qualifying final as the finals series approaches. Marked and unmarked police vehicles were seen outside the hotel Monday morning as the investigation got underway.

Advertisement

Sydney Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed media at a brief press conference at the club’s headquarters Monday afternoon that lasted less than a minute. Pavlich told reporters the club was still working to establish the full details of what had taken place. “We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” he said. He described the club as “extremely shocked and disappointed” that the situation had arisen and acknowledged that speculation was likely to follow given the intense public interest in the matter, but said the club’s ability to comment further was limited while the case remained a police matter.

The Swans have not identified which or how many players were involved in the alleged incident, and no charges had been announced as of Monday afternoon. The club said it was cooperating with both the AFL and Victoria Police as the investigation continues.

The timing of the alleged incident places it in the middle of a pivotal stretch of the AFL season for Sydney. The club has posted 17 wins so far in the 2026 season and enters the final round of the home-and-away campaign sitting in second place on the ladder, with finals football set to begin within weeks. The Swans are next scheduled to play at home at the Sydney Cricket Ground against North Melbourne.

The club’s win over Essendon on Sunday had been viewed as a significant result in Sydney’s push toward a strong finals position, making the emergence of the investigation just hours later a jarring turn for a team otherwise in the midst of a successful late-season run.

Advertisement

News of the investigation broke as one of several major stories developing across the Australian news cycle Monday, drawing significant public attention and prompting widespread commentary on social media even as the club and police both stressed that specific details of the alleged incident had not yet been established.

This is not the first time the AFL has faced scrutiny over allegations involving player conduct while traveling for matches. The league has previously dealt with a number of investigations into off-field incidents involving players from various clubs, and the code has faced ongoing questions in recent years about the culture surrounding player behavior during interstate trips and post-match celebrations. Monday’s developments are likely to renew those broader conversations even as the specific facts of this case remain under investigation.

The Pullman hotel on Wellington Parade, where Sunday night’s alleged incident occurred, is a frequently used accommodation option for AFL clubs traveling to Melbourne for away matches, given its proximity to the MCG and other major sporting venues in the city.

Neither the Swans nor Victoria Police provided a timeline for when the investigation might conclude or when further information might be released. Police statements emphasized that the circumstances of the alleged incident were still being established, language commonly used in the early stages of a criminal investigation before charges, if any, are laid.

Advertisement

The AFL itself had not issued a separate public statement on the matter as of Monday afternoon, though the Swans said in their statement that the league had been formally notified. Under the AFL’s integrity and conduct policies, clubs are generally required to inform the league of any incidents involving player behavior that could affect the code’s reputation or that may become the subject of a police investigation.

For now, the situation remains fluid, with both the club and police declining to speculate on outcomes while the investigation is active. Pavlich’s comments Monday suggested the club itself was still gathering information through its own internal processes, running in parallel with the police investigation but separate from it.

The Swans are expected to continue preparations for their final home-and-away match against North Melbourne as the police investigation proceeds, though it remains unclear whether the situation will have any immediate impact on team selection or availability heading into that fixture or the finals series beyond it.

As with any active criminal investigation, further details are expected to emerge as police work continues, and both Victoria Police and the Swans indicated additional information would be released only once appropriate and once the facts of the case have been more clearly established.

Advertisement

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version