Entertainment

Anderson Cooper Announces ’60 Minutes’ Exit After 20 Years

Published

on

Broadcast journalist Anderson Cooper has announced he’s leaving CBS News’ iconic news magazine program “60 Minutes” after nearly 20 years as a correspondent.

The decision comes months after Bari Weiss was named the new editor-in-chief of CBS News, a leadership change that marked a noticeable shift in editorial priorities.

Article continues below advertisement

Anderson Cooper Wants To Spend More Time With His Children

ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA

On February 16, Cooper released a statement announcing his departure from “60 Minutes,” saying that being a correspondent for the program “has been one of the highlights” of his decades-long career.

“I got to tell amazing stories, and work with some of the best producers, editors, and camera crews in the business,” he shared. However, the 58-year-old now wants to focus on spending more time with his small children.

Advertisement

“For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they want to spend time with me,” he explained.

According to Variety, he was reportedly in negotiations with CBS over a contract renewal but ultimately chose to step away.

Article continues below advertisement

CBS News’ Response To Anderson Cooper’s Exit

MEGA

CBS News has released a statement about Cooper’s decision, thanking the veteran journalist for taking viewers on “journeys to faraway places,” telling “unforgettable stories,” and reporting on “consequential investigations.”

Moreover, the network is leaving the door open in case Cooper decides to come back. “We’re grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast, and understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 Minutes will be here if he ever wants to return,” CBS noted.

Advertisement

“60 Minutes” debuted in 1968 as a bi-weekly show hosted by Harry Reasoner and Mike Wallace before transitioning to a Sunday night slot. Cooper joined the news magazine show in 2006 in an agreement with CNN, with whom he had been working since 2001.

Article continues below advertisement

The Journalist Reportedly Didn’t Align With New Management

MEGA

In October 2025, Bari Weiss was appointed the new editor-in-chief for CBS News. The announcement came after Paramount Skydance acquired The Free Press, a news media company Weiss co-founded.

In January, Variety reported that CBS News staff were not happy with Weiss’ management style, making last-minute changes that were exhausting. “It’s part of what fuels the frustration. We’re doing our d-mn jobs and doing them well,” the unnamed staffer said. There are also reports that Weiss is considering additional layoffs at CBS News, potentially affecting up to 15% employees.

Cooper has not publicly said anything about the Weiss, but according to a report from Status, her role as editor-in-chief may have something to do with his exit from “60 Minutes.”

Advertisement

Article continues below advertisement

“He wasn’t comfortable with the direction the show was taking under Bari, and is in a position where he doesn’t have to put up with it,” the source told the publication.

Article continues below advertisement

Anderson Cooper Is Staying With CNN

MEGA

Cooper joined CNN in 2001 as an anchor. In 2003, he launched his own show, “Anderson Cooper 360°,” a news program that focuses on investigative journalism and in-depth reporting. Throughout the years, Cooper has highlighted major global events, politics, as well as human-interest stories.

The journalist may be leaving CBS News, but he is staying with CNN. As previously reported by The Blast in December 2025, Cooper signed a deal with the network to focus on creating content for a subscription service.

Advertisement

Anderson Cooper’s Two Sons

Despite the speculations surrounding Cooper’s departure from “60 Minutes,” he said the decision was driven by his desire to spend more time with his children.

Cooper shares two sons with his ex-partner, Benjamin Maisani. The two remain close friends and co-parent their children, 5-year-old Wyatt and 4-year-old Sebastian.

In 2020, Cooper revealed the birth of his first son and gushed about his profound love for him. “This is a new level of love. It’s unlike anything I’ve experienced, and yet it’s so very familiar and incredibly special and intimate, it’s really extraordinary,” he shared.

Article continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Cooper has opened up about his family and his relationship with Maisani, telling People in 2021, “It’s probably an unusual setup, but I knew he would be a great dad, and he is. We’re exes, but we’re family to each other, and we love each other as family and as co-parents.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version