Liam Curwen, 32, was ‘caught up’ in a mob and spat at cops before hurling a brick at officers
A yob who threw a brick at police in scenes of “wanton mob violence” following the Southport stabbings has been jailed.
Liam Curwen, 32, who spat at cops, hurled the missile at officers and picked up paving bricks during the disorder was jailed for 27 months at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.
The court heard how Curwen was part of a mob which walked towards the police line in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent on August 3, 2024, just days after three girls were murdered in a Southport dance studio.
Ensure our latest headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as your Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
Reports at the time of what became known as the “Southport Riots” told of around 400 people clashing with police in Hanley and at other marches across the country.
Disorder spread across the UK after Axel Rudakubana, 18, murdered three girls in Southport at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class amid false rumours the killer was a Muslim immigrant. The unrest led to around two thousand people being arrested, the National Police Chiefs’ Council said at the time
Stoke-on-Trent Live reported scenes of men wielding gardening forks, baseball bats and timber as mass disorder broke out in the city centre on August 3 in the wake of the Southport stabbings.
Curwen’s lawyer said he had been on his way to meet a friend and “got caught up in the group activity”.
Islamophobic chants could be heard on some video footage of the crowd in Hanley, while others showed officers coming under fire from missiles. The protests, sparked by the killing of three girls at a holiday dance session, forced a local theatre to go into lockdown – the venue had been showing a children’s dance production but the presence of protesters forced it to close to protect the kids, the BBC reported at the time.
Stoke-on-Trent Live reports that Curwen was seen to leave Hanley Bus Station and walk past The Albion pub towards the city centre on the day of the disorder. He joined a group on Town Road. Prosecutor Barry White said: “He and others walked towards the police line. The defendant had his right hand raised. He appeared agitated and angry.
“He spat towards the police line. He continued shouting and pointing at the police line. He moved towards police holding a brick in his right hand, having picked up a paving block. He threw it. It hit a shield in the police line. He went back to the city centre. He covered his face.”
The defendant was arrested on January 24, 2025. He answered no comment to questions in his police interview. Curwen, of Murhall Street, Burslem, later pleaded guilty to violent disorder. Debbie Leadbeater, mitigating, said Curwen is remorseful. Miss Leadbeater said: “He was meeting a friend and got caught up in the group activity. He and his partner are carers for their children.
“There is a very good chance of rehabilitation in his case. I hope you will consider a suspended sentence. He needs further assistance in how to cope with things when they are getting out of control. The work that could be done with probation could ensure he does not appear before the courts in the future.”
Recorder Robert Smith said: “You and members of your group walked towards the police line. You spat towards police on the police line. You ran towards police holding a brick. You are shown on a video to pick up paving bricks. You threw a brick at the police, hitting a riot shield of an officer in the police line.
“I accept any imprisonment would adversely effect your partner and children. You should have thought about that before you involved yourself in a large-scale violent disorder. You participated, spitting at officer, wielding a brick and throwing a brick at the police line.
“What you did was not a peaceful protest. You joined in with wanton mob violence. It was despicable behaviour. I cannot and will not suspend the sentence.”
