NewsBeat
Andy Burnham disabled free bus travel move welcomed in York
Councillors and a body representing bus users said allowing disabled bus pass holders to travel for free all day from April would give them more freedom and independence.
But a local disability rights activist said that although the move was welcome her and others were concerned any savings could be wiped out by future welfare cuts.
It follows a Government announcement on Tuesday, August 18 that restrictions on what times disabled people can use their passes would be removed in a move backed by £60m.
RECOMMENDED READING:
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said it was not right that disabled passengers could only use passes at certain times and the move also aimed to ease cost of living pressures.
It follows calls to scrap time restrictions including from Liberal Democrat Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Tom Gordon.
York councillors backed a call in November for the Government to change concessionary bus pass hours.
Passes are currently only valid nationally from 9.30am to 11pm, though morning hours in York were previously extended to 9am.
More than 3,500 people in York are set to benefit from April’s change, according to York Council estimates.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the move on Tuesday, August 18 (Image: James Manning)
City of York Council’s Labour transport spokesperson Cllr Kate Ravilious said disabled people did not live their lives according to bus timetables and had to get to work, hospital and meet other commitments.
Cllr Ravilious said: “For many disabled people buses aren’t just one transport option among many, they can be absolutely essential for getting around and living independently.
“This is about fairness, but it’s also about independence, disabled people should have the same freedom as anyone else to get on a bus and go where they need to go, when they need to go.
“There’s much more to do to make public transport genuinely accessible for everyone, but removing this restriction is a very welcome step forward.”
Opposition Liberal Democrat transport spokesperson Cllr Stephen Fenton said the move was a huge victory for Mr Gordon and others who had campaigned hard for the changes.
Cllr Fenton said: “Disabled people already face additional costs as part of their day-to-day lives, which made the time restriction on use of the bus pass even more difficult to understand.
“Hopefully this change will make it easier for disabled people to access work, education and social activities.”
Doreen Magill, chair of the York Bus Forum, said it would help disabled people leave their homes and participate more fully in the life of the city.
The chair said: “Many disabled people rely on buses to access work or group sessions and these frequently necessitate travel outside of the time-restrictions which were imposed.
“This is a vital step in helping those with disabilities.
But disability rights activist Flick Williams said she hoped savings on bus fares would not be cancelled out amid fears ministers could be planning further welfare cuts later this year.
She added 291 Labour MPs had voted against the measure, including York Central’s Rachael Maskell and York Outer’s Luke Charters, when it was previously tabled in Parliament in September.
Ms Williams said: “This suggests it is not about the merits of a policy rather who is proposing it, which at that time was the Liberal Democrat MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough who has long campaigned on this issue.
“The prime minister has presented this as a mitigation against the cost of living crisis, we have to hope that a few bus fares saved is not completely wiped out.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login