King Charles has said “the law must take its course” following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office, with the Prince and Princess of Wales understood to support his statement
The Prince and Princess of Wales have supported King Charles’ statement following the arrest of the disgraced former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday morning (February 19).
Andrew is currently in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office at his temporary residence on the Sandringham Estate around 8am on his 66th birthday. Thames Valley Police, who led the operation, also confirmed that searches are being conducted at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk.
Following his younger brother’s arrest, King Charles broke his silence, stating “the law must take its course”. This sentiment is understood to be echoed by the Prince and Princess of Wales, William and Kate, according to the Press Association.
The former Duke has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to Jeffrey Epstein but has faced increasing scrutiny over his relationship with the convicted paedophile whilst he was alive. On November 3, 2025, King Charles stripped Andrew of his HRH style and “Prince” title.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” The King said in a written statement.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
A police spokesperson at the scene confirmed that the search is ongoing within the property. Dog walkers and families are continuing to pass through the surrounding Windsor Great Park.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
It is vital that we maintain the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work alongside our partners to examine this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
The King has previously expressed his “profound concern” regarding allegations over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct, also saying he would “stand ready to support” the police, according to Buckingham Palace.

