‘This creates a poor impression of Cardiff as the capital city of Wales’
A Cardiff sightseeing bus service has become the subject of controversy with one passenger describing the experience as a “rip off” following the replacement of its usual open-top double-decker bus with a single-decker. The Skycar service, operated by Cardiff Bus, is currently using a single-decker vehicle because of road works forcing the route to divert under a low bridge.
A spokesman for Cardiff Bus said thepreparations for a tram extension to Cardiff Bay have closed access to Bute Street, meaning the Skycar route has been diverted under Herbert Street bridge. They added that online information about the service, as well as information across other channels, has now been updated to reflect the situation.
However, one customer, who wished to remain anonymous, criticised Cardiff Bus for continuing to charge £8 for a ticket despite the change in service. The customer described it as “poor value for money” and said it creates “a poor impression of Cardiff as the capital city of Wales”.
They said: “Cardiff Bus has been advertising one of its city sightseeing open-top routes as a premium service and charging passengers significantly higher fares than those charged on ordinary bus services.
“However, for several weeks the advertised open-top vehicle has not been operating, and passengers have instead been transported on a standard single-deck bus while continuing to be charged the same premium price.
“What is particularly concerning is that Cardiff Bus appears unwilling to introduce a suitable diversion route or alternative operational arrangement that would allow the open-top bus to continue running.
“As a result, the advertised product is not being delivered, yet customers are still expected to pay the full premium fare.”
The customer further added: “Beyond the issue of value for money, this also creates a poor impression of Cardiff as the capital city of Wales. Visitors and tourists who choose the service specifically for the open-top sightseeing experience may feel misled when a standard bus arrives instead.
Other passengers have given a more mixed response to the change, with some saying while they would prefer the open-top bus, they still considering the service worthwhile.
Sarah Frost, 27, was visiting Cardiff from London when she took the Skycar on a Sunday morning. She paid £8 for her ticket and said she was “happy enough” with the tour despite the replacement vehicle.
“I would have preferred a double-decker bus,” she said. “I don’t mind that a normal bus has replaced it although the one thing I am sad to miss out on is the history, the voice that’s guiding me through the tour itself.
“I would be happier if that was on this tour, to make up for the fact that this wasn’t a double-decker bus. But other than that I am happy enough so far.”
Sarah said she particularly noticed the difference because of the warm weather. “I would have preferred a double-decker bus, especially today – as you can see I’m sweating a fair amount” she said.
“I definitely would prefer an open top, it’s more fun, it feels more like an experience – like you’re paying for something.”
Sarah said she had expected some form of commentary about the city’s history.
“I didn’t bring my headphones because I thought it would be a guided tour of some kind,” she said. “Now I am wishing I had because then I guess the nearest alternative would be me looking up the history myself to try and find out about the things we’re passing and coming across.”
She said information she had seen online had led her to believe the Skycar would be a similar alternative to the open-top sightseeing bus.
“When I was looking online for the information on the bus tour, there wasn’t anything that explicitly said that there’s no open-top bus tour without a guided tour,” she said. “I did assume that it was the same, just a different company but a pretty similar alternative.”
Another passenger, who did not wish to be named, said the open-top bus was particularly popular with their grandchildren. “It’s something a bit different, the grandchildren love it because they don’t see double-decker buses very often so yeah, it is a nice thing,” they said. “And I think people do look out for it, and tourists do. It’s just one of those things this time, they’re doing building work and that’s that.”
David Taylor, 68, also said his grandchildren were missing the open-top bus experience. “I pay for my children on there,” he said. “It’s nice to have a little ride on an open-top bus and see the Bay and see the museums – see the young children looking at the museums.”
In light of the reaction, a spokesman for Cardiff Bus said: “Our Skycar provides a “summer special” service between Cardiff City Centre and Cardiff Bay.
“There are restrictions to the route due to the preparation works for the introduction of the tram extension to Cardiff Bay closing access to Bute Street. As a result, the service is diverting via Lloyd George Avenue. In advance of this closure, we engaged in discussions with Cardiff Council as the highways authority to facilitate the diversion of the Skycar route under the Herbert Street bridge.
“Unfortunately, the works required to allow the Skycar to operate beneath the bridge have not yet been completed, despite receiving assurances that this would be completed before Bute Street was closed. Having given formal notification of the change to the authorities, we are obliged to operate this route, and adhere to the height restriction whilst it remains.
“Since this issue has arisen, we have engaged daily to seek an update and swift resolution. We are keen to return our open-top vehicle to service as soon as possible so that customers can continue to enjoy the full Skycar experience throughout the summer.
“We have updated information online [and] on our app, as well as across other channels, to make clear that a closed-top bus will be in use temporarily. Customers who have purchased a ticket but have not yet activated it can choose to use it later in the season when the open-top service returns, and for those who have let us know they are unable to do so we have tried to make amends.
“Whilst these circumstances are outside our control, we remain committed to restoring the open-top experience as soon as possible, and thank our customers for their patience and understanding.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login