Connect with us

NewsBeat

Everything we know as NHS warns UK is facing ‘second surge’ of norovirus

Published

on

Manchester Evening News
Everything we know as NHS warns UK is facing ‘second surge’ of norovirus – Manchester Evening News

Advertisement
reach logo

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the “Do Not Sell or Share my Data” button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NewsBeat

Swinney vows ‘absolute confidence’ in Lord Advocate amid row over Murrell memo

Published

on

Swinney vows ‘absolute confidence’ in Lord Advocate amid row over Murrell memo

But with the minute – detailing that Murrell is charged with embezzling almost £460,000 from the SNP – sent to Mr Swinney on January 19, weeks before details of the charge became public, Scottish Conservative leader Russell Findlay was insistent that the Lord Advocate had handed the First Minister a political advantage.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Bad Bunny cast in first lead film role alongside Edward Norton and Javier Bardem

Published

on

Bad Bunny cast in first lead film role alongside Edward Norton and Javier Bardem

In a statement, actor Norton said: “This film sits in a tradition of films we deeply love, from The Godfather to Gangs of New York, that both thrill us with visceral drama and iconic characters and eras while also forcing us to face up to the shadow story under the American narrative of idealism.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Apparently, dogs might know when you’re lying to them

Published

on

Apparently, dogs might know when you’re lying to them

!function(n){if(!window.cnx){window.cnx={},window.cnx.cmd=[];var t=n.createElement(‘iframe’);t.display=’none’,t.onload=function(){var n=t.contentWindow.document,c=n.createElement(‘script’);c.src=”//cd.connatix.com/connatix.player.js”,c.setAttribute(‘async’,’1′),c.setAttribute(‘type’,’text/javascript’),n.body.appendChild(c)},n.head.appendChild(t)}}(document);(new Image()).src=”https://capi.connatix.com/tr/si?token=19654b65-409c-4b38-90db-80cbdea02cf4″;cnx.cmd.push(function(){cnx({“playerId”:”19654b65-409c-4b38-90db-80cbdea02cf4″,”mediaId”:”e177c43b-bc43-47cb-9b91-582151c54252″}).render(“699719d5e4b012cccb3eb4e8”);});

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

The Hundred: IPL-linked teams ‘not considering Pakistan players’

Published

on

A sign at the Hundred that reads 'Hundred is for everyone'

Pakistan cricketers are not being considered by Indian-owned sides for next month’s Hundred auction, sources have told BBC Sport.

Players from Pakistan have not featured in the Indian Premier League (IPL) since 2009 because of diplomatic tensions between the two countries.

Four of The Hundred’s eight franchises – Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds – are now at least part-owned by companies that control IPL teams.

In messages seen by the BBC, a senior official from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) indicated to an agent that interest in his Pakistan players would be limited to sides not linked to the IPL.

Advertisement

Another agent described the situation as “an unwritten rule” across T20 leagues with Indian investment.

ECB chief executive Richard Gould said last year he expected “players from all nations to be selected for all teams” in The Hundred and warned “clear anti-discrimination policies” were in place.

None of the four teams or ownership groups in question responded to requests for comment.

An ECB spokesperson said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

Advertisement

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Residents in south London use speed gun to send over 1,000 recordings of speeding cars to the Met Police

Published

on

Residents in south London use speed gun to send over 1,000 recordings of speeding cars to the Met Police

In order to combat speeding on their roads, Siward and Godwin residents would like extra traffic calming measures put in place such as narrowing the road, installing planters, chicanes, road paint or having extra signs alerting motorists to the presence of elderly people and young children in the area.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Street sweeper ‘freed’ after wheel gets stuck in footway

Published

on

Cambridgeshire Live

The sweeper was carrying out a routine clean along a Cambridgeshire street

A street sweeper had to be “freed” after it got stuck in a cycle and footway. While trying to clean along Yarrow Road in Cherry Hinton earlier today (Thursday, February 19), the wheel on a street sweeper became stuck.

Advertisement

The wheel got stuck in a cycle and footway along the street. South Cambridgeshire Council, which runs the sweeper, had to free it from the footway.

A council spokesperson said: “A wheel on one of our small street sweepers unfortunately got stuck in a cycle and footway. This happened during a routine sweep of the cycleway and pavement along Yarrow Road.

“The sweeper has been freed, and we let Cambridgeshire County Council know – and they’ve told us their crews are already on the way to carry out repairs.”

Do you want more of the latest Cambridgeshire news as it comes in from across the county? Sign up to our dedicated newsletter to make sure you never miss a big story from Cambridge or anywhere else in the county. You can also sign up to our dedicated Peterborough, Traffic and Crime newsletters for the latest updates on the topics you are most interested in.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Beans on toast could help lower cholesterol – but there’s a catch

Published

on

Daily Mirror

This quick and easy meal is not only cheap but has various health benefits

A popular British dish could help protect your heart and lower cholesterol. According to an expert, beans on toast is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

Advertisement

Writing for the British Heart Foundation (BHF), dietitian Dell Stanford explained why this cheap and easy meal could help reduce the risk of heart and circulatory disease. While most tinned banked means would be considered “ultra-processed” due to added sugars, salt and ingredients like thickeners or preservatives, they can “still be part of a healthy diet”.

Firstly, baked beans, which are usually haricot or cannellini beans in a tomato sauce, are high in fibre. This can help lower cholesterol levels and keep your gut healthy.

Ms Stanford said: “Baked beans are low in fat and high in fibre. They have soluble fibre, which helps lower cholesterol levels, and insoluble fibre, which helps to keep your digestive system healthy.

“In fact, a half-can portion of baked beans (207g), which many of us might typically eat, provides nearly a third of the 30g of fibre you need a day.” They are also a healthy source of protein.

She continued: “Baked beans are also high in plant proteins and packed with nutrients such as iron, zinc and B vitamins. And the tomato sauce is rich in lycopene, a protective antioxidant linked with a reduced risk of heart and circulatory diseases.

“Replacing some of the meat you eat with beans is a great way to eat less unhealthy saturated fat, manage your weight and reduce your risk of heart and circulatory diseases.”

But there’s a catch

It is important to be aware of the salt and sugar content in baked beans, though. “However, look out for the salt and sugar content of baked beans,” Ms Stanford said.

“A typical half can portion (207g) of baked beans contains about 1.3g salt. That’s 21 per cent of the maximum recommended amount of salt you should have a day (6g). A half can also contain about 9g sugar – that’s 10 per cent of the maximum recommended amount of ‘total’ sugar you should have a day.

“Traffic light labels on food packaging show only total sugars. They do not tell you how much is naturally occurring (as in fruit or milk) and how much is ‘free’ or ‘added’ sugar (as in table sugar or syrup).

“In baked beans, most of the sugar is added, because beans themselves do not naturally contain much sugar. It’s mainly from the tomato sauce.”

Advertisement

It is therefore worth opting for baked beans that have reduced sugar and salt where possible. To further boost the health properties of your beans on toast you should also use wholegrain bread rather than white bread, to increase the amount of fibre in the meal.

To make your meal even healthier, Ms Stanford advised you:

  • Choose baked beans with reduced sugar (or no added sugar) and reduced salt
  • Swap white bread for wholegrain
  • Skip the butter: the beans add enough moisture, or you can use small amounts of a lower-fat spread made from unsaturated vegetable oils
  • For an extra boost of goodness, add vegetables to your beans (e.g. roasted red peppers, onions, or mushrooms)

For more information, visit the BHF website here.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Goole firm O&H Vehicle Conversions has closed, say BDO LLP

Published

on

Goole firm O&H Vehicle Conversions has closed, say BDO LLP

The move follows O&H Vehicle Conversions Ltd of Goole entering administration earlier this month.

The company, which was founded in 1988, produced vehicles including rapid response vehicles for the police, NHS ambulance services and private ambulance operators.

A statement by administrators BDO LLP said O&H Vehicle Conversions had faced financial pressures affecting the wider vehicle conversion industry and had recently suffered from delivery delays which further impacted income and cashflow.

Advertisement

RECOMMENDED READING:

As a result, the directors were left with no alternative but to place the company into Administration, they explained.

Following a marketing process prior to the appointment of Administrators, a solvent going concern sale was not possible.

As a result, all operations have now ceased and 157 employees have been made redundant with immediate effect.

Advertisement

Mark Thornton, one of the Joint Administrators said: “It is always a sad day when a longstanding business is forced to close.  Given the financial position and outlook for the Company, securing a sale of the business as a going concern was not possible.

“The priority of the Joint Administrators will now be to support employees impacted by the closure and realise assets in line with our duties in order to maximise the return for creditors.”

As the Press reported recently, company bosses said they did all they could to find a rescue deal for O&H Vehicle Conversions.

O&H managing director Mark Brickhill said: “In 2025, we delivered a record 227 NHS Emergency Double Crewed Ambulances (DCAs), up from 186 in 2024, whilst also growing and diversifying the business with a £19 million turnover.

Advertisement

 Mr Brickhill explained OHVC had suffered delays in the delivery of chassis, delaying £2.2million of planned and achievable sales in recent months.

The company switched towards Rapid Response Vehicle (RRV) production for both the Ambulance and Police Services, but delayed production caused by retraining staff and the lower margins such vehicles deliver, did not bridge the financial gap caused by the chassis delay.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Vehicles arrive at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk

Published

on

Vehicles arrive at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk

Unmarked police vehicles were seen arriving at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Thursday, where Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been living.

He was arrested by Thames Valley Police – but while we know they are carrying out searches in Norfolk and Berkshire, it’s not clear where Andrew was arrested.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

More than 100 affordable homes in west London to be demolished after contractor goes bust

Published

on

More than 100 affordable homes in west London to be demolished after contractor goes bust

An Ealing Council spokesperson told the Local Democracy Reporting Service [LDRS]: “Several national and local construction contractors collapsed into administration following the pandemic, including Henry Construction, which was building new homes on our behalf. The sudden collapse of Henry Construction, in 2023, which was a private sector failure, meant that work on 60 sites stopped overnight, and this has had significant implications for Ealing Council and other councils too.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025