NewsBeat

Five ‘balaclava-clad’ teens killed in head-on crash after BMW ‘drives wrong way’ on motorway

Published

on

Sources say the BMW occupants were wearing balaclavas or masks when the car ploughed head-on into a family’s vehicle on the M9 in Co Kildare

Five teenagers ‘wearing balaclavas’ were killed when they drove a ‘stolen BMW’ the wrong way down a motorway for a second time.

Advertisement

The five teens were pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the M9 in County Kildare, Ireland, on Sunday (August 16). Another four people, thought to be a family travelling in another car to the airport for their holiday, have also been seriously hurt.

Irish police (gardaí) sources told the Irish Mirror they did not pursue the car when it hurtled down the motorway in the wrong direction, and are working on a theory that the teens stole the BMW and drove it on the opposite side of the road in the knowledge they would not be chased.

“Members disengaged the first time it went down the road the wrong way – and didn’t get a chance to engage the second time,” a source said this evening.

It has also emerged that the occupants of the high-powered BMW were all wearing balaclavas or masks when it collided head-on with a family’s car in the crash on the M9 in Co Kildare in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Advertisement

Sources also reveal that the crash scene was so devastating that gardaí initially believed only four teenagers had perished in the collision, as that number were visible amongst the wreckage of the BMW, reports

It was not until late in the afternoon, when specialists moved the vehicle from the scene, that gardaí discovered the fifth body beneath the car.

Sources further indicate that gardaí are pursuing the theory that the car the teenagers were travelling in had been stolen in Athy, Co Kildare earlier that morning.

Advertisement

It has also emerged that officers had been alerted to a group of teenagers attempting to break into cars and homes in the town during the early hours — some time before the fatal crash occurred.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly tonight released a statement regarding the crash, as two separate investigations were launched into the tragedy.

An Garda Síochána is conducting an inquiry into the collision itself, while independent policing watchdog Fiosrú has also launched its own investigation.

That probe centres on any potential interactions gardaí may have had with the vehicle in the lead-up to the crash, which occurred near the Moone and Athy motorway exit at around 3am.

Advertisement

The incident comes just a week after a similar collision on Dublin’s M50, in which a stolen car smashed into an innocent motorist’s vehicle in the early hours of the morning.

Much like this weekend’s devastating crash, that vehicle was also travelling on the wrong side of the road.

Mr Kelly stated that both crashes highlighted the sheer recklessness of driving against the flow of traffic — a tactic increasingly employed by young criminals, who are aware that gardaí will not pursue them.

Mr Kelly said: “My thoughts are with those injured in this morning’s collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.

“This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong-side of the motorway is.

“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.

“As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that Gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.

Advertisement

“Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents. As always, An Garda Síochána will fully cooperate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible.

“My thoughts are also with all members of An Garda Síochána and the emergency services who had to deal with this awful incident this morning. Such incidents show the difficult work we ask our Gardaí to undertake every day to keep our communities safe.”

The Irish Mirror has established that the terrifying incident began approximately 30 minutes before the collision, when gardaí first became aware that the BMW was behaving suspiciously.

Officers spotted the vehicle and attempted to bring it to a halt, but it sped onto the motorway travelling against the flow of traffic, prompting them to disengage immediately.

It is understood that the car subsequently performed a U-turn, rejoining the M9 — this time traveling in the correct direction.

The vehicle then exited the motorway at Junction 2A, near a filling station and food area.

Gardaí had been preparing to deploy a stinger device on the motorway to puncture the car’s tyres when those inside spotted one of the force’s vehicles and accelerated away.

Advertisement

The car drove the wrong way down the exit ramp before speeding along the motorway once again, travelling against oncoming traffic. Gardaí did not give chase.

Within minutes, however, the BMW collided head-on with a Hyundai travelling in the correct direction, with devastating consequences.

All five teenagers in the BMW were killed instantly, while the four innocent occupants of the Hyundai sustained injuries.

It is understood the victims were an extended family from Carlow who had been heading to Dublin Airport for a break.

Advertisement

The family comprised a seven-year-old child, a woman in her 20s and two women in their 30s, all of whom were injured.

“The female driver and front passenger, both aged in her 30s of the second car have been removed from the scene to Tallaght University Hospital and both remain in critical condition,” gardaí said in a statement.

It added: “A female rear seat passenger, aged in her 20s was taken to St. Luke’s General Hospital and is in a serious condition. The third passenger, a child has been removed to Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) at Crumlin and is in a serious condition.”

Advertisement

It is understood the child suffered a broken leg.

Gardaí cordoned off the area throughout the day and launched a full investigation, appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

The force said: “Gardaí are appealing for any persons who may have witnessed this collision to come forward.

“Gardaí are appealing to road users who were travelling on the M9 northbound or southbound between 2:00am and 3:00am this morning Sunday 16th August, 2026 and who may have dashcam footage of the incident or surrounding area to make this footage available to investigating Gardaí.

Advertisement

“Anyone with information is asked to contact Athy Garda Station on 01 666 6000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.”

Meanwhile, Fiosrú also issued a statement confirming it is conducting its own investigation.

A spokesman confirmed the matter had been referred to the organisation by gardaí.

It said: “The referral was made following a Fatal Road Traffic Collision on the M9.

Advertisement

“One of Fiosrú’s on call team of investigators attended the scene and its independent investigation is ongoing.

“In line with its statutory remit, Fiosrú’s investigation relates to incidents involving contact with gardaí where a member of the public has died or been seriously injured.

“A referral does not necessarily mean a garda or gardaí have been accused of wrongdoing. Instead, it means that Fiosrú should independently investigate the incident to ascertain whether or not the act or omission of a garda or gardaí may have resulted in the death of, or serious harm to, a person.

“As the matter is now under investigation, pursuant to section 208(1)(b) of the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024, Fiosrú cannot make any further comment.”

Heartfelt tributes have poured in for the victims throughout the day. Although gardaí had yet to formally release their names, details were circulating widely across social media.

The majority of those involved were from the Midlands, while one victim was originally from Limerick and had been residing in Dublin.

One tribute read: “A Mortal sin. The Nicest Boy you ever could have come across, so many memories we have together and I’ll make sure cherish every one. God help your poor mother and family get Best Bed In Heaven. You Will be truly missed.”

Advertisement

Another said: “Rest easy, bro. Always be in my heart and thoughts. Gonna miss u so much.”

Gardaí confirmed this evening that five teenagers had lost their lives in the collision.

The force said: “The bodies of 5 teenage males, all occupants of one vehicle, have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post mortems will take place.

“The occupants of the second vehicle, three women (two aged in their 30s, one in her 20s) and a male child all remain in hospital continuing to receive treatment for serious injuries.

Advertisement

“Forensic Collision Investigators have completed their examination of the scene. The road is expected to reopen shortly.

“Family Liaison Officers have been appointed to relatives of the occupants of both vehicles.”

Source link

Advertisement

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version