NewsBeat
Hull City to take legal action if they lose Championship play-off final
Southampton were expelled from the play-offs on Tuesday and their appeal against the decision was rejected the following day – just 72 hours before kick-off in Saturday’s showpiece event.
Saints also admitted to spying on two other rivals’ training sessions, including Oxford United in December and Ipswich Town last month.
The Football Association has since opened an investigation of its own into Southampton over the Spygate scandal.
The club accepted what happened was “wrong” and apologised to the other clubs involved, as well as Southampton’s supporters.
After their appeal was rejected, the club said in a statement: “While we fully acknowledge the seriousness of this matter and the scrutiny that has followed, the club has consistently believed the original sporting sanction was disproportionate, a view that has been widely shared by many in the football community.”
But Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg said his trust in “doing the right thing” was restored after Saints’ expulsion.
“It’s a feeling of relief, happiness, a little bit of trust in doing the right thing and humanity,” he told BBC Radio Tees.
“The right way to do it is working hard, not doing something else when everyone will see with the evidence and everything we know.
“It is quite clear what has been done and that should never be allowed in football.”
Hull boss Sergej Jakirovic previously said the Tigers were “collateral damage” because they had to wait to find out which opponent they would actually be facing in the final.
“We can say everything is unfair in this last two weeks. You don’t know what’s going on,” he told BBC Radio Humberside.
“If you look from a Middlesbrough point of view they knew if they were successful they would play against us so I can turn the situation around but I will not do that. We will try to beat them on the pitch.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login