NewsBeat
Jet2 issues update to passengers amid fuel supply issues
Airlines have been struggling with jet fuel supplies following the Iran conflict.
Despite this, the Government has advised travellers not to change plans, saying that UK airlines are “not currently seeing a shortage of jet fuel” and that “it is typically bought in advance”.
Now, budget airline Jet2 has also reassured passengers, saying it expects to operate flights as scheduled this summer.
Jet2 issues update to passengers amid fuel supply issues
The travel company said today (May 20) that it has “reported positive updates about fuel supply”.
Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2, said: “We are in regular dialogue with our fuel suppliers, and the current picture is one of increased production and imports, meaning we continue to look ahead with confidence.
“We have already been very clear about our plans to operate our schedule as normal this summer, and our message to holidaymakers is that summer is on.”
Mr Heapy added: “This confidence, on top of the incredible value that our award-winning holidays offer right now, means it is a fantastic time to get that well-deserved holiday locked in, and we know that many people are taking advantage of that right now.
“Everything is geared up and ready for a busy summer and we look forward to welcoming everybody on board and creating fantastic memories with Jet2.”
Jet2 had previously reassured customers that it would not introduce surcharges on any booked flights or holidays to cover cost increases.
It also removed the surcharge provision across all flights and holidays.
Mr Heapy said previously: “Holidaymakers should have every right to book their hard-earned break in the sun, without worrying about being hit with additional costs, and they can have that complete assurance when they book a flight or holiday with Jet2.
“As a result of today’s announcement, customers booking with Jet2 know that they are locking in their price without additional cost surprises later and we strongly believe that is the right thing to do by them.”
Brits warned of long queues due to EES
While travel plans will remain the same, Brits have been warned over lengthy queues this summer due to the EU’s new entry/exit system (EES).
Non-EU nationals travelling in Europe are now required to provide personal data, and have their fingerprints scanned and a photograph taken.
Major airlines, including Jet2 and Ryanair, have called for the rollout of the new system to be suspended until after the summer to allow for a “smoother airport experience” during peak travel season.
CEO of Ryanair’s Malta subsidiary, Malta Air, David O’Brien, has also threatened to pull all flights to Malta due to the extended wait times caused by the EES at airports.
Brits are now being warned of six-hour waits at airports in Portugal caused by the new EES.
A Portugal travel advisor, known as @travel_luckk on Instagram, said: “Last week a family I advised landed in Lisbon and stood in line for 6 hours and 40 minutes.
“Their toddler slept on a suitcase. They missed their transfer to the Algarve.
“This wasn’t bad luck. This is Portugal in 2026—and almost no one is talking about it yet.”
Porto is currently a quieter and more efficient alternative, according to @travel_luckk, for entry into northern and central Portugal.
Recommended reading:
The Portugal travel advisor said: “OPO is 40% faster through EES than Lisbon right now.
She warned that the travel through Lisbon can be especially difficult, particularly on Monday mornings between 6am and 11am.
Ryanair has called on the Portuguese Government to pause the rollout of the EES until September.
Have you got any holidays planned this summer? Let us know in the comments below.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login