NewsBeat

Occupants of high-powered car involved in M9 tragedy were wearing balaclavas or masks

Published

on

The vehicle in which five teenagers died this morning was being driven on the wrong side of the motorway twice in a matter of minutes, the Irish Mirror understands

The car in which five teenagers died in an early-morning horror smash was driven on the wrong side of the motorway twice in a matter of minutes, it has emerged.

Advertisement

Sources told the Irish Mirror gardai did not pursue the car on either occasion, but officers were aware of its movements on the M9 in rural Co Kildare in the run-up to the tragedy.

“Members disengaged the first time it went down the road the wrong way – and didn’t get a chance to engage the second time,” a source said this evening.

It’s also understood that the occupants of the high-powered BMW were all wearing balaclavas or masks when it ploughed head-on into an innocent family’s car in the crash on the M9 in Co Kildare early on Sunday morning.

And sources say the scene of the crash was so bad that gardai initially believed that only four teenagers had died in the collision as they were visible in the wreckage of the BMW.

Advertisement

It was only late in the afternoon that specialists moved the car from the scene that gardai discovered the fifth body under the vehicle.

Sources also told the paper that gardai are working on the theory that the car the teens were travelling in had been stolen in Athy, Co Kildare earlier in the morning.

Officers were alerted to a gang of teenagers trying to break into cars and houses in the town in the early hours of the morning – some time before the fatal crash.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly last night issued a strongly worded statement about the crash – as two separate investigations began into the tragedy.

Advertisement

One probe into the crash itself is being carried out by An Garda Siochana – while independent policing watchdog Fiosrù is also investigating.

That probe is in relation to any possible interactions gardai may have had with the vehicle in the run-up to crash, which happened near the exit for Moone and Athy on the motorway at around 3am.

The crash came a week after a similar incident on Dublin’s M50 when a stolen car ploughed into an innocent man’s vehicle in the early hours of the morning.

Like this weekend’s tragic crash, that car was again on the wrong side of the road.

Advertisement

Mr Kelly said the crashes showed just how irresponsible it was to drive on the wrong side of the road – something young criminals are increasingly doing as they know gardai will not follow them.

Mr Kelly said: “My thoughts are with those injured in this morning’s collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.

“This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong-side of the motorway is.

Advertisement

“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.

“As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that Gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.

“Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents. As always, An Garda Síochána will fully cooperate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible.

“My thoughts are also with all members of An Garda Síochána and the emergency services who had to deal with this awful incident this morning. Such incidents show the difficult work we ask our Gardaí to undertake every day to keep our communities safe.”

Advertisement

The Irish Mirror has learned that the horror incident began around 30 minutes before the crash when gardai first became aware the BMW was acting suspiciously.

Gardai saw the vehicle and tried to stop it but it quickly drove onto the motorway, where it travelled against traffic – which meant the officers immediately disengaged.

It’s understood the car then did a U-turn – went back the M9, but this time in the proper direction.

It then went off the motorway at Junction 2A – a filling station and food area.

Advertisement

Gardai were preparing an operation to deploy a stinger on the motorway to take out the car’s tyres when the occupants saw one of the force’s vehicles – and sped off.

It drove the wrong way down the exit ramp – and sped along the motorway, again against traffic. Gardai did not pursue the car.

But within a few minutes the BMW slammed into a Hyundai car going the right way on the motorway with horrific consequences.

The five teenagers in the BMW all died instantly, while the four innocent occupants were all injured.

Advertisement

It’s understood they were an extended family from Carlow heading off to Dublin Airport for a break.

The family included a seven-year-old child, a woman in her 20s and two in their 30s. They were all injured.

“The female driver and front passenger, both aged in her 30s of the second car have been removed from the scene to Tallaght University Hospital and both remain in critical condition,” gardai said in a statement.

It added: “A female rear seat passenger, aged in her 20s was taken to St. Luke’s General Hospital and is in a serious condition. The third passenger, a child has been removed to Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) at Crumlin and is in a serious condition.”

Advertisement

It’s understood the child sustained a broken leg.

Gardai sealed off the area all day and began a full investigation. They have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The force said: “Gardaí are appealing for any persons who may have witnessed this collision to come forward.

“Gardaí are appealing to road users who were travelling on the M9 northbound or southbound between 2:00am and 3:00am this morning Sunday 16th August, 2026 and who may have dashcam footage of the incident or surrounding area to make this footage available to investigating Gardaí.

Advertisement

“Anyone with information is asked to contact Athy Garda Station on 01 666 6000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.”

Meanwhile, Fiosrù also issued a statement in which it said it was carrying out its own investigation.

A spokesman said the matter had been referred to the organisation by gardai.

It said: “The referral was made following a Fatal Road Traffic Collision on the M9.

Advertisement

“One of Fiosrú’s on call team of investigators attended the scene and its independent investigation is ongoing.

“In line with its statutory remit, Fiosrú’s investigation relates to incidents involving contact with gardaí where a member of the public has died or been seriously injured.

“A referral does not necessarily mean a garda or gardaí have been accused of wrongdoing. Instead, it means that Fiosrú should independently investigate the incident to ascertain whether or not the act or omission of a garda or gardaí may have resulted in the death of, or serious harm to, a person.

“As the matter is now under investigation, pursuant to section 208(1)(b) of the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024, Fiosrú cannot make any further comment.”

Advertisement

Tributes have been paid to the victims throughout the day. Their names had not been released by gardai, but were being circulated on social media.

Most were from the Midlands, but one was from Limerick and was living in Dublin.

One tribute read: “A Mortal sin. The Nicest Boy you ever could have come across, so many memories we have together and I’ll make sure cherish every one. God help your poor mother and family get Best Bed In Heaven. You Will be truly missed.”

Another said: “Rest easy, bro. Always be in my heart and thoughts. Gonna miss u so much.”

Advertisement

Gardai confirmed this evening that five teenagers died in the crash.

The force said: “The bodies of 5 teenage males, all occupants of one vehicle, have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post mortems will take place.

“The occupants of the second vehicle, three women (two aged in their 30s, one in her 20s) and a male child all remain in hospital continuing to receive treatment for serious injuries.

“Forensic Collision Investigators have completed their examination of the scene. The road is expected to reopen shortly.

Advertisement

“Family Liaison Officers have been appointed to relatives of the occupants of both vehicles.”

For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here and sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Source link

Advertisement

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version