A Cambridgeshire County Council report said cutting the speed limit would improve the safety of Bates Drove after a fatal collision.
The speed limit along Bates Drive near Littleport could be cut to try and improve safety after a fatal crash. Cambridgeshire County Council is proposing to cut the speed limit on the road from 60mph to 50mph.
A report published by the authority highlighted that a “tragic” fatal motorcycle collision occurred along the road in June last year, with another “serious” motorcycle collision taking place just eight days later.
The report added that a further two incidents where people had been injured had been recorded along the road in recent years. Following these incidents a multi-agency investigation was launched to assess the safety of the road.
The report said: “The investigation team undertook several site visits and conducted a thorough review of the traffic conditions. Their assessment concluded that the existing speed limit is inappropriate for the road’s structure and environment.
“Bates Drove is characteristic of Fenland infrastructure, it is undulating due to subsidence, narrow in places, and visually deceptive in terms of safety, particularly for powered two-wheeled vehicles. Additionally, sections of the nearby A1101 are straight and encourage higher speeds, further increasing the risk of serious collisions.
“Many surrounding Fen roads are already subject to a 50mph limit, reflecting the unique challenges posed by the terrain and road layout. Reducing the speed limit on Bates Drove would bring it in line with these roads and enhance safety for all road users, especially vulnerable groups.”
However, concerns have been raised about the plans to cut the speed limit to 50mph. A consultation undertaken by the county council received five objections, with many arguing that repairing the roads would be a better option.
One objector said: “The road surface is more of an issue than the speed limit. The new speed limit won’t be enforced and so won’t make a difference. The council is proposing speed limit changes purely as it’s cheaper than sorting the road.”
The county council report said road maintenance is “undertaken according to the authority’s asset management plan”. It added that cutting the speed limit would not be a substitute for ongoing maintenance, but would be a “proportionate and evidence-based measure to address specific risks identified by a multi-agency investigation”.
In the report council officers recommend going ahead with the speed limit reduction. It said: “Reducing the speed limit to 50mph was considered the most proportionate, cost-effective, and evidence-based intervention.
“It aligns with vision zero principles, addresses the immediate safety concerns identified by the investigation, and harmonises Bates Drove with similar Fen roads already subject to 50mph limits.”
A decision on whether to cut the speed limit along Bates Drove is due to be made on February 18.
To get more breaking news and top stories delivered directly to your phone, join our new WhatsApp community. Click this link to receive your daily dose of CambridgeshireLive content.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice .