The latest rugby news from Wales and around the world
Here are your rugby headlines for Thursday, February 19.
Pundit spots Louis Rees-Zammit frustration as Wales told to ‘strip it back’
Former Scotland international Jim Hamilton says he could see Louis Rees-Zammit’s frustration first-hand at the weekend as Wales continue to grapple with their attacking identity.
Hamilton, who was watching from close quarters, believes the Gloucester wing is desperate for more involvement as Wales lean heavily on a territorial kicking game.
“I actually saw Louis’ frustration from where I was on the weekend,” Hamilton said. “He just wants to get his hands on the ball.
“Where Wales are at the minute, they’re reverting more to this kicking game. And if they are going to win, they’re going to need to strip it back and attack is the last thing to come.
“Rees-Zammit is a freak athlete.”
JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more
The comments come amid ongoing scrutiny of Wales’ attacking output, with their wide threats often starved of possession as they prioritise field position.
Hamilton was quick to stress that the talent is there within the squad, reeling off a string of players he rates highly.
“I’m a big fan of Aaron Wainwright,” he said. “[Taine] Plumtree, when he’s come on, has looked good. I’m a big fan of Tomos Williams and Ellis Mee and I love Louis Rees-Zammit.
“Dafydd Jenkins as well, he’s been really good for Exeter this year and I’m a big fan of him.
“Wales have got some quality players and I’ve named a few there but I’m yet to see something where they’ve put it all together.”
Hamilton even suggested that Wainwright’s performances have long deserved greater recognition.
“I’ve always liked him as a player and I thought he might have gone on the Lions tour, that’s how highly I rate him,” he added.
Jim Hamilton is part of the Premier Sports team bringing live Guinness Men’s Six Nations Rugby to rugby fans across the UK – broadcasting one live match per round throughout the 2026 Championship, as the home of elite rugby which includes EPCR rugby, Top 14, URC, MRL from the USA and Japan League One.
This Saturday join Jim Hamilton, Ryan Wilson, Tom Shanklin, Rory Lawson and Ryle Nugent pitch side at the Principality Stadium for Wales v Scotland on Premier Sports 1 and Premier Sports Rugby from 4pm. To join in visit www.premiersports.com from £11.99 a month.
Tandy expected to rip up team for Scotland clash
Steve Tandy is expected to tear up his starting XV for the visit of Scotland – with a new outside-half and a potential debutant wing among the headline changes – when he names his team this morning.
WalesOnline understands changes are coming at second-row, back row, outside-half and on the wing ahead of Saturday’s clash at the Principality Stadium. Follow live updates of Steve Tandy’s squad announcement here.
The squad went through a full-contact session on Wednesday and, barring any late setbacks, Sam Costelow is set to be handed his first start of this season’s Six Nations Championship.
Costelow is expected to wear the No.10 shirt, replacing Dan Edwards after the Ospreys playmaker started Wales’ last seven Tests. The Scarlets fly-half was omitted from the autumn squad but has impressed at regional level in recent weeks.
There are significant changes expected in the pack, too. Adam Beard is understood to have dropped out of the matchday squad following the defeat to France, with Ben Carter set to partner Dafydd Jenkins in the second row and Freddie Thomas providing cover from the bench.
Tandy is also poised to bring Taine Plumtree into the back row in place of Olly Cracknell, with Aaron Wainwright shifting to No.8.
On the wing, uncapped Leicester Tigers flyer Gabriel Hamer-Webb is in line for his Wales debut. The 25-year-old, who previously spent two seasons at Cardiff, appears set to come in for Ellis Mee, with his aerial ability thought to have impressed in training.
Wales head into the Scotland showdown rooted to the bottom of the table after heavy defeats to England and France, conceding 102 points and 15 tries across the opening two rounds. Tandy’s former side arrive in Cardiff buoyant after their Calcutta Cup triumph – and the Wales head coach appears ready to gamble in a bid to spark a response.
Foden: Wales must build new core around five or six players
Former England full-back Ben Foden believes Wales’ “changing of the guard took too long” and believes finding a handful of players to build the national team around would constitute a Six Nations success story for them.
Speaking to BOYLE Sports, Foden delivered a blunt assessment of Wales’ current plight and predicted a difficult end to the championship ahead.
“Youth rugby in Wales has taken a hit, but it’s still alive and well,” he said. “There’s still very good rugby-playing schools. There’s still a good youth system. It’s just that the changing of the guard took too long.
“The likes of Liam Williams and George North and Alun Wyn Jones and Adam Jones and all those boys… When they left, there was and is this vast gap of experienced international players that’s never been filled.
“And there’s a bit of a scramble now to find the next generation.”
Foden does not expect an upturn in results in the short term and tipped Wales to finish bottom of the table this season.
“The future of the Six Nations this season is not bright for Wales,” he said.
“I think they probably will get the wooden spoon but they’ll give Italy a good match, they’ll give Scotland a run, depending on what kind of Scottish team turns up. I can’t see Wales winning a game.
“There’s got to be questions asked about the future of Welsh rugby because this shouldn’t happen to a country that’s so influential in the game and has dominated the Six Nations for the last 15 years. It’s a real shame to see them drop off like they have.”
However, Foden believes there is still a pathway forward if coaches are brave enough to back youth.
“If the coaches are savvy they’ll just throw guys in and see if they can sink or swim,” he added.
“They won’t be expecting them to go and win an international game on their own, but you’re looking at them to see who can play at this level and compete.
“And if they get to the end of this competition with five or six guys who they think have what it takes, and around whom they can build a team — and if they have the right kind of temperament and the right skill set and the right attitude and they’re willing to work hard — you can start building around a core.”
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings
Wales U20s out to avoid third straight near-miss against Scotland
Wales U20s will look to turn promise into points when they host Scotland national under-20 rugby union team at Cardiff Arms Park on Friday night (7.15pm).
Richard Whiffin’s side have pushed both England and France all the way in this season’s Six Nations Under 20 Championship but were edged out late in both fixtures, including a 34-24 defeat to Les Bleuets last time out. Wales had a Tom Bowen try ruled out in the closing stages against France that would have earned a shot at victory or at least two bonus points.
Head coach Whiffin says his players are “swinging the bat” against the tournament’s leading contenders and insists they are developing quickly despite back-to-back defeats.
Wales make two changes up front, with Dylan James and Evan Minto promoted from the bench, while injuries to Osian Darwin-Lewis and Evan Morris mean debuts for Bailey Cutts and Dylan Scott in the backs. Scotland make one change in the starting XV, with Harvey Preston coming in at open-side flanker, and could hand debuts to Archie Appleby and Jack Marshall from the bench.
Wales U20s: Cummings (Cardiff); Scott (Cardiff Met), Cutts (Cardiff), Emanuel (Cardiff, co-capt), Bowen (Cardiff); Leggatt-Jones (Scarlets), S Davies (Cardiff); D James (Ospreys), Howe (Cardiff), Pritchard (Scarlets), L Evans (Exeter), O Williams (Bristol), Gwynne (Gloucester, co-capt), C James (Gloucester), Minto (Dragons).
Replacements: Talamai (Dragons), Tuckley (Dragons), Cook (Scarlets), Rees (Gloucester), Ridgway (Bath), Woodyatt (Gloucester), Lucas (Cardiff), Anfield (Bath University).
Scotland U20s: Widdowson (Edinburgh); Moncrieff (Edinburgh), Waugh (Glasgow Hawks), Wolfenden (Edinburgh, capt), McHaffie (Edinburgh); Dalziel (Melrose), MacArthur (Edinburgh); Stewart (Edinburgh), Roberts (Glasgow), Blyth-Lafferty (Edinburgh), Lindsay (Edinburgh), Blackett (Cardiff Met), Byrd (Edinburgh), Preston (Glasgow Hawks), Purvis (Glasgow).
Replacements: McAughtrie (Ayr), McKenna (Glasgow), Rennie (Glasgow), Appleby (Northampton), Ronnie (Watsonians), Marshall (Saracens), McKenzie (Watsonians), Jessop (Heriot’s).
Scotland must back-up England win against ‘hurting’ Wales
By Anthony Brown, Press Association
Scott Cummings admitted Scotland must prove in Wales this weekend that they have the mentality to back up Saturday’s Calcutta Cup triumph.
The Scots have had to contend with accusations that they continually raise their game for showdowns with England and then fall flat against other Guinness Six Nations rivals.
After last weekend’s 31-20 victory at Murrayfield, Scotland have defeated England six times in nine meetings since Gregor Townsend took charge in 2017.
After four of their last five wins over the Auld Enemy, however, they have gone on to lose their next match – something they are intent on avoiding in Cardiff.
“We know that we can push on, we believe we can push on, the weekend was just a start for us,” said second-rower Cummings, speaking from the Scots’ warm-weather training camp in Spain. “Now we need to back it up.
“We’ve beaten England before, we’ve done this before in the Six Nations quite a few times and we probably haven’t backed it up after that, so that’s definitely a big focus for us.
“Obviously when you get that big home game against England, coming off a frustrating loss in Italy, it’s easy to get that hype.
“It’s up to us as a squad to come together and create our own energy. We chatted last week around needing our best performance and we need to continue that on this week.
“We need to go in with that same mindset, win every 50-50 and really put our game on and implant our game on Wales this weekend.”
Scotland were under intense pressure last week on the back of a dismal opening-weekend defeat away to Italy.
Cummings said the Scots will keep what happened in Rome in their minds in the lead-up to Cardiff because they “can’t let the performance dip to that point again”.
The lock insisted they must gear up for struggling Wales with the same intensity and focus that brought such a positive display against a previously buoyant England.
“I want the heat on us,” Cummings said, when asked if there was less pressure on his side after their exploits last weekend.
“We might be going in as a strong, confident team but we need to view every single moment as the most important moment of the match.
“If we don’t, I don’t think we’ll get the win out of it. I don’t think the pressure’s off us. I like to think in international rugby, the pressure’s always on you to perform well.
“For us, it’s going to be a massive game. We’re definitely not resting on the weekend being our finished performance.
“Wales are a team that’s obviously hurting, like we were last week. That often brings the best out in a team so we’re expecting a massive fight from them.”
Meanwhile, Perpignan have revealed that back-rower Jamie Ritchie – who withdrew from the Scotland squad earlier this week alongside Jack Dempsey and Jamie Dobie – is facing “approximately two months” on the sidelines after suffering a break in the upper part of the shinbone.
Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news.

