The show in Dumfries on Thursday May 21 was paused for presenter Fiona Bruce to share a huge update on the next two BBC shows – before discussions on drilling in the North Sea
Question Time presenter Fiona Bruce halted tonight’s show to make two huge announcements.
Advertisement
The show in Dumfries on Thursday May 21 included panelists; Cabinet secretary for Economy, Tourism and Transport Steven Flynn, Kirsty McNeill Scottish Labour MP, Conservative MP Harriet Cross, Thomas Kerr Scottish Reform Deputy Leader and Ross Greer Co-leader for Scottish Greens.
Following a heated discussion about food price caps, she said: “Before we go on, I want to tell you about our programme next week, because… we are going to be in Dulwich in South London for a special programme about artificial intelligence. So many questions we get, probably not every week, so we’ll probably get two or three. But I have to say they just build up over time, and we decided we’re going to tackle this subject.
“Do we understand it? Can we control it? Are we all going to lose our jobs? What it will mean for us, so that’s a special programme on artificial intelligence next week. If you would like to come and be part of that audience, Dulwich in South London, we would love to see you,” she told viewers.
She then teased the upcoming edition of the show on Thursday, June 4, telling viewers: “The week after that, you might have noticed there’s a by-election happening in Makerfield. We’re going to be there,” she revealed.
“So two programmes, don’t want to miss them”, Fiona concluded.
BBC Question Time returns on Thursday May 28 in DUlwich and Thursday June 4 in Makerfield.
June 18 is set to be a seismic moment in British politics.
Voters in Makerfield will decide who they want to be their new MP in a race between Labour Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, and Reform’s local plumber Robert Kenyon.
If Burnham wins, he will likely look to overthrow Keir Starmer as prime minister.
The by-election was triggered by Labour MP Josh Simons, who stood aside so Burnham could run for parliament.
After Labour’s horrific performance in the elections in England, Wales and Scotland on May 7, MPs are desperate to turn the party’s fortunes around.
As the most popular Labour politician in the country right now, many MPs believe only the mayor can lift the party out of its slump in the polls and beat Reform’s rise.
Burnham was an MP between 2001 and 2017, and became a minister in the governments of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.
Advertisement
He ran for Labour leadership elections in 2010 and 2015 – then promised not to run again, but evidently has his eye on the red throne once more.
Burnham was blocked from his attempts to be an MP by Labour’s executive body, the National Executive Committee, in February, on Starmer’s orders.
But the PM is no longer strong enough to block the mayor after multiple ministers and almost 100 MPs called on him to resign over the local elections.
It’s not a straight-forward contest, though.
Advertisement
There’s absolutely no guarantee Burnham will win this by-election, given Reform won all eight council wards in the constituency earlier this month.
Makerfield voted heavily for Brexit in the 2016 referendum, which makes life especially tricky for Remainer Burnham.
He said only last year he hopes to see the UK back in the EU in his lifetime.
Reform are likely to highlight the mayor’s pro-EU views and turn voters against him. Nigel Farage is already calling him “Open Borders Burnham”.
Advertisement
The right-wing party is also trying to paint the by-election as a “David vs Goliath” battle, by suggesting Burnham will only see the constituency as a stepping stone on the way to No.10.
The result is set to be on a knife-edge.
The fate of the Labour Party also rests on the outcome because a Burnham victory would almost certainly trigger a leadership contest.
Labour rules state a rebellious MP needs the support of at least 81 MPs to invoke a leadership race – a threshold Burnham is widely expected to reach.
Advertisement
Ex-health secretary Wes Streeting is also predicted to run on his own ticket to be the next prime minister, hoping to appeal more to the right of the party.
Other potential candidates include former deputy prime minister Angela Rayner, energy secretary Ed Miliband, defence secretary John Healey, and veterans minister Al Carns.
But, if the mayor loses to Reform in Makerfield, all eyes will be on Streeting to see if he triggers a challenge to his old boss.
Would he have the support of enough MPs to topple the prime minister?
Advertisement
Listen to this week’s Commons People as we look at Burnham’s popularity, the fractures in the Labour Party and how Starmer’s future hinges on voters in Makerfield.
Subscribe to Commons People, the podcast that makes politics easy. Every week, Kevin Schofield and Kate Nicholson unpack the week’s biggest stories to keep you informed. Join us for straightforward analysis of what’s going on at Westminster.
The Met Office expects temperatures to reach 33C on Monday – which would constitute a new record for May.
“It is likely that the May and Spring UK temperature records will be broken over the Bank Holiday weekend, with forecast temperatures surpassing the existing record of 32.8C,” Met Office Deputy Chief Forecaster Steve Kocher said.
This comes after a study published last summer by Met Office scientists found the chances of surpassing the May temperature record set in 1944 have been increasing as our climate changes.
Advertisement
The study found that breaking the 32.8C May record is around three times more likely now in our current climate than it would have been in a natural climate not impacted by greenhouse gas emissions. What was around a 1-in-100 year event is now around a 1-in-33 year event.
Healthy n Happy’s Executive Director Mark Soanes accepted the award, alongside Susie Heywood of Suicide Prevention Scotland and Nicola Reed of Cruse Scotland.
Healthy n Happy Community Development Trust was delighted to win a ‘Saving Lives’ award at 1st Class Credit Union’s Money Made Human Awards.
Advertisement
This was in recognition of their Creating Hope In Our Community campaign, which promotes positive mental health and suicide prevention across Cambuslang and Rutherglen, through creative, engaging and impactful activities.
Held at Hampden Park, the awards highlighted what it truly means to be human, through local connections that are made, communities that are strengthened and lives that are enriched, recognising the impact that can be made together.
Healthy n Happy’s Executive Director Mark Soanes accepted the award, alongside Susie Heywood of Suicide Prevention Scotland and Nicola Reed of Cruse Scotland.
Mark said: “A huge thank you to 1st Class Credit Union for hosting such a fantastic event, celebrating local people and organisations that are making a difference.
Advertisement
“We are incredibly proud to receive this award in recognition of our work to improve mental health and prevent suicide in CamGlen.
“While this recognition means a great deal to us, we know there is still much work to be done in this area. We would encourage local residents, organisations, community groups, charities and businesses to become part of this vital movement, so together we can continue responding to local need and creating hope within our local communities.”
For more information and how to get involved with Creating Hope In Our Community campaign, visit www.healthynhappy.org.uk
Stephen Bunting signed off his Premier League campaign in style as he overcame defending champion Luke Humphries 6-3 in Sheffield to claim his second nightly win of the year.
The Bullet was in fine form throughout the night and, roared on by a South Yorkshire crowd keen to see Leeds United fan Humphries beaten, raced to a dominant victory with seven 180s and a 106.37 average.
At 5-3 up, Bunting started with six perfect darts to raise hopes of a nine-darter to clinch it but had to settle for finishing off a fabulous display in 12.
Despite his defeat in Thursday’s final, Humphries did enough on the night to move up to third overall in the season’s standings and avoid a semi-final against world champion Luke Littler on finals night at London’s O2 Arena next Thursday.
Advertisement
Instead, Humphries will take on Wales’ Jonny Clayton, with the Ferret’s compatriot Gerwyn Price facing Littler.
Victory moves Bunting above Gian van Veen and Michael van Gerwen to secure a fifth-place finish in the final standings.
“I was probably a bit hard on myself. I’m up to fifth! I’m so happy with that,” Bunting told Sky Sports.
“People wrote me off and said I shouldn’t be in it. I want to be in this Premier League for years to come. That was a massive statement from me.”
Mr Ravichandran Sivaguru has applied for a licence to open and sell alcohol between 7am and 11pm from Your Local Food and Wine at High Street, Willington.
As part of the application, Mr Sivaguru said all staff would receive full training and a Challenge 25 scheme will be in operation.
If approved, CCTV would be installed to film the interior and exterior of the store.
Advertisement
But objectors have warned that another store in the area is not needed.
Mr Ram Babu Nagubadi, a nearby postmaster, said the store would impact his and other local businesses.
“The introduction of another licensed premises so close to my own will significantly affect my livelihood. As a long-standing business, I rely on alcohol sales as a key part of my trade, and this could result in a substantial loss of income,” he said.
As a long-standing member of the village, he told the council he is “committed to maintaining responsible retailing standards and supporting the local area.”
Advertisement
Mr Nagubadi added that it would be unfair if the new store were granted a licence from 7am, since he cannot sell it until 8am.
He said: “There are already seven provisions for alcohol sales within the immediate area. Granting another licence does not appear to serve a clear need within the community.”
Members of Greater Willington Parish Council warned that the new store could have a negative impact on the area.
The application will be considered by Durham County Council’s licensing committee on Friday, May 29.
Advertisement
Mr Sivaguru will appear at the hearing next week to respond to the concerns.
The First Minister has issued a state apology after a damning review found vulnerable children were repeatedly failed by authorities for years before the horrific “Beastie House” abuse ring was uncovered.
Rachel Keenan, Press Association Scotland Politics Reporter and Gemma Ryder Reporter
21:03, 21 May 2026
Scotland’s First Minister has apologised to those involved in a “deeply distressing” major report into a notorious abuse ring.
John Swinney offered an apology on behalf of the state for any failures outlined in the report into the so-called “Beastie House” gang.
The 75-page report published on Wednesday found several children at the centre of a Glasgow abuse ring were failed by authorities despite clear warnings and cries for help over the course of years.
Advertisement
The learning review found it was “difficult to comprehend” that abuse was not detected earlier despite more than a decade of involvement from social work and a host of other public agencies.
When asked by journalists in the Scottish Parliament on Thursday if he would make an apology for failures outlined in the report, Mr Swinney said: “Yes, I would make that apology because I think the contents of the report are deeply, deeply distressing.
“Lord Beckett – when he summarised the court case and disposed of the case and stressed the extreme nature of what he had experienced, what had been presented to the court – Lord Beckett made the point that the court hears terrible things, but that was of a different order.
“I think that is completely unacceptable, and I apologise to everybody who has been involved.”
Advertisement
Two women and five men were all convicted of gang raping a child and abusing other children, and were given sentences of between eight and 20 years in jail before they can apply for parole.
Iain Owens, 46; Elaine Lannery, 40; Lesley Williams, 43; Paul Brannan, 42; Scott Forbes, 51; Barry Watson, 48; and John Clark, 48, were convicted in November 2023 following a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.
Four of the group – Owens, Lannery, Brannan and Williams – were found guilty of attempting to murder a child by pushing them into a microwave and trapping them in other places.
Advertisement
Wednesday’s review found staff repeatedly failed to thoroughly investigate abuse and neglect of several children between 2012 and 2019.
This was despite mounting evidence over more than a decade, including adults around them taking drugs, several children missing multiple teeth at a young age, reports the children were dirty and smelled like urine, and one of the children saying they wanted to kill themselves.
Glasgow City Council chief executive Susanne Millar held senior roles in social work services during this time.
Advertisement
In 2012, she became the city’s assistant director for social work and retained the chief social work officer job while taking on roles for planning and strategy until she became interim chief officer role in 2019.
Mr Swinney was asked if Ms Millar should resign given her role in social work during this time period.
He said: “I think, obviously, there’s proper discussions that have got to take place by the individual responsible bodies, and it shouldn’t be for me to comment on those issues.
“For my part, I obviously lead the Government, and this is a deeply distressing report about an extreme example where child protection has clearly failed. There’s no other way to talk about it.
“We have had other examples where there have been failures in performance, and there are measures taken to strengthen that. There is obviously inspection regimes taken forward of individual child protection arrangements. Indeed, this review is part of that process to identify where there are failings, and where those failings have got to be addressed.”
Advertisement
Glasgow City Council have been approached for comment.
Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE
The Loose Women star required an operation after developing acute pancreatitis
Sam Huntley Senior Showbiz & TV Reporter and Husna Anjum Senior Reporter
21:22, 21 May 2026
Linda Robson, star of Loose Women, revealed a scary health issue that left her ‘fearing she could die’. The 68-year-old said she spent ten days in intensive care while doctors fought to save her.
The Birds of a Feather actress required the operation on her pancreas after developing acute pancreatitis, which left her in agony. She told The Sun: “I was petrified in intensive care. I thought I was going to die.
Advertisement
“I had to have most of my pancreas removed because there were two tumours in a difficult position. I had to have a brain scan as well.”
Daily Star reports Linda had the op after gallstones damaged her pancreas. She took time out from Loose Women last year after doctors found a small cyst on the gland, which is behind the stomach.
She said that it was the support from her kids that got her through the terrifying ordeal. Linda added: “Seeing my kids’ faces got me through it.
“They were at the hospital all the time. They’ve been amazing.”
Advertisement
Linda has since returned to public life and on Wednesday night (May 20) she attended a gala night for Mamma Mia! The Party at London’s O2. The star explained that she’s had to “take a back seat” for a while in order to get better but she’s now “on the mend” and wants to “make the most out of life”.
Linda opened up about her pancreas issues last year on Loose Women. She told the panel: “Well I’ve had a bit of a health scare myself.
“So, quite a few years ago I had gallstones and they damaged my pancreas, and they’ve been keeping an eye on me for a while now. Because I had a cyst on my pancreas and it’s gone from 1cm to 2cm, so the kids have obviously been really worried about me.”
Linda had multiple MRI and other scans at the time. Last December, she ended up having to pull out of a performance of the Aladdin panto at the Orchard West Theatre in Dartford due to the pancreas problems.
Advertisement
The star has been open about her health issues over the years, including her battles with alcohol addiction and her mental health.
Ensure our latest stories always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as your Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
“The performance of all company owned stores across our Convenience business is subject to continuous review. This process has identified a number of stores, which were part of the McColl’s acquisition, whose performance has been challenged for a number of years and which are loss making, despite remedial action.
Today, the chancellor Rachel Reeves has announced a series of measures aimed at reducing the costs for families in the summer holidays.
Ticket prices for families at various attractions such as theme parks, zoos and museums will be cheaper during the summer holidays through a cut to VAT, the chancellor has said. The government didn’t however announce any major package of support aimed at energy costs.
On Thursday it was also revealed that UK migration had dropped to 171,00 almost half of 2024’s figure. Adam, Chris, Joe Pike and Helen Miller from the Institute for Fiscal Studies discuss.
Advertisement
You can now listen to Newscast on a smart speaker. If you want to listen, just say “Ask BBC Sounds to play Newscast”. It works on most smart speakers.
You can join our Newscast online community here: https://bbc.in/newscastdiscord
Get in touch with Newscast by emailing newscast@bbc.co.uk or send us a WhatsApp on +44 0330 123 9480.
New episodes are released every day. If you’re in the UK, for more News and Current Affairs podcasts from the BBC, listen on BBC Sounds: https://bbc.in/4guXgXd
Advertisement
Newscast brings you daily analysis of the latest political news stories from the BBC.
The presenter was Adam Fleming. It was made by Jack Maclaren with Shiler Mahmoudi. The social producer was Jem Westgate. The technical producer was Mike Regaard. The assistant editor is Chris Gray. The senior news editor is Sam Bonham.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login