A spokesperson told Glasgow Live: “Merchant City and Trongate Community Council (MCTCC) condemns in the strongest terms the behaviour of Celtic fans who have once again turned the centre of Glasgow into a ‘No Go’ zone, trashing the image of Scotland’s biggest city.
“This was the fifth year in succession that the local residents we represent have witnessed serious civil disorder, littering, property damage and their streets being taken over following a Celtic Premiership title win.
“After each of the previous four episodes of lawlessness, MCTCC called on the club and Glasgow City Council (GCC) to come up with a plan to stop it happening again. They have sadly failed to do. Frankly, we despair.
Advertisement
“It is obvious that Celtic FC has no control over these supporters who ignored its belated appeal – delivered 24 hours before the final match of the season – and the equally 11th hour public intervention of GCC to celebrate peacefully. The outcome was sadly all too predictable.
“Recent meetings at senior level with Glasgow City Council left us with no confidence that anything would be different this year than at the end of previous Premiership seasons. Despite several appeals to Celtic FC we have never received a single reply.”
Earlier this month it was reported that Glenn Gibbins, who was recently elected as a Reform councillor in Sunderland, had complained about the “amount of Nigerians in town” in a social media post made in 2024.
According to the campaign group Hope Not Hate, the later-deleted post read: “Should melt them all down and fill in the pot holes!!”
Speaking to Sky News’s Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips, Conservative leader Mrs Badenoch branded the comments made by Mr Gibbins as “disgusting” and said that it “worried” her that Reform UK deputy leader Mr Tice would not directly condemn it.
She said: “I think that was a disgusting comment that that Reform candidate made, and the Reform (deputy) leader… Richard Tice, wouldn’t even condemn it.
Advertisement
“That’s what I’m worried about. People say all sorts of stupid things, they should get slapped down when they do that.
“We cannot have a climate of violence against people based on their ethnicity in this country, but you need the leaders of the party, you need the senior ones, to be able to say that’s not what we’re about, that we’re very much against it. When they don’t say that, then we need to be worried.
“And I was really shocked when Richard Tice was interviewed that he would not condemn those comments.”
Last week, Mr Tice was asked whether he was happy for someone with those views to represent the party on BBC’s Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg programme.
Advertisement
In response he said: “This weekend we are celebrating our incredible successes.
“Like any party, we have internal party processes to look where people have said or done the wrong thing.”
He continued: “I condemn everything that is wrong and inappropriate.
“Voters have heard all of this smearing and this sneering against all of us, and they have voted for more Reform.”
Advertisement
A Labour Party spokesperson later criticised his alleged failure to “call out clear racism”, adding: “It speaks volumes that Richard Tice tried to brush off these comments.”
Mr Tice later posted on X: “I literally said in the interview that I condemn anything that is wrong or inappropriate. Which obviously includes those (Mr Gibbins’s) remarks: simple.”
The Hovercraft Museum, Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire has been named “Volunteers of the Year” at the prestigious Museums + Heritage Awards 2026, recognising the extraordinary contribution of its volunteer team in sustaining one of the UK’s most unique and nationally significant collections.
TfL said on its site that no service is expected on the:
Circle line,
Piccadilly line,
Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Aldgate, and
the Central line between White City and Liverpool Street
Though “Service is expected on all other lines,” this will be reduced. The TfL added that “disruption to journeys” is expected; disruptions may continue later into the week.
What other transport links are open?
Services including buses, the Elizabeth line, the DLR, and the London Overground aren’t going to be on strike during these days. They are, however, predicted to be incredibly busy.
Why are these strikes happening?
Advertisement
It started with a four-day work week.
The Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF), a train drivers’ union which represents thousands of Tube drivers, previously campaigned for a four-day work week, which the TfL recently began trialling on an optional basis in their Bakerloo line.
But RMT, a trade union covering the public transport sector more broadly, has said that they’re not on board with the “compressed” work week, claiming it packs five days’ work into four in a manner which could impact the safety of drivers and passengers.
RMT members are the ones striking in these upcoming cases.
Advertisement
The union also claimed it could mean drivers only get 24 hours’ notice before their shifts are announced and that TfL “U-turned” on negotiations.
In response, TfL pointed out that the four-day offering is completely optional and said it could help to make services more reliable and flexible.
Sally re-opened the Ebor Inn at Bishopthorpe on Wednesday, which had been closed since last year.
Until his sad death of Covid in 2021, the popular pub had been run by her late father Gordon Watlins for 39 years.
The pub’s owner, Tadcaster-based Sam Smith’s Brewery, recently gave the pub a new look with an exterior restoration of its brickwork. Further renovations have taken place inside, with more planned.
Sally posted on social media at the weekend that she is ‘astounded’ at the support received.
She said: “I sat down at around 3pm with my friend who had never been to the Ebor Inn before. I was thinking I’ll have an hour catch up as I’d not seen her for a while and then one by one you lovely people started coming in…
“Before I knew it it was 7.30pm!!! And still you kept coming in….
The pub exterior (Image: Apple Photos Clean Up)
“What an afternoon/evening!! I am totally overwhelmed by the numbers that have come through the door not just today (although today was insane) but every single day we’ve been open!!!
Advertisement
“I have loved every minute… the support is just amazing! I’m so hoarse from talking so much!!! But every moment is so heartwarming and to hear you all speak so highly of my late father. I love it!”
Sally added: “We know it’s not just a job for me and I can confirm that I am eternally grateful and flattered by everyone’s support. I hope you all keep coming in and we can keep the pub going with this wonderful sentiment.”
Among the dozens who have commented underneath on Facebook, one said: “I am so glad that everything has gone well for you and the team at the Ebor. It is such a lovely pub and you deserve every success for taking the challenge on, Gordon would be so proud of you. Well done and keep up the good work.”
As the Press previously reported, initially, the Ebor Inn will be a ‘wet’ pub, meaning drinks only, before it starts serving food from June.
Advertisement
Press advert (Image: NQ)
The re-opening comes amid others, including the Blacksmith Arms at Skelton, near York, which is also owned by Sam Smith’s Brewery.
The Punch Bowl at Marton-Cum-Grafton, now owned by Boroughbridge hospitality entrepreneur Simon Wade, also reopened this month after a major refurbishment.
However, as reported earlier today, the tenants of the community-owned village pub, the Black Lion at Skelton on Ouse will be leaving venue this Saturday, blaming an ‘unsustainable’ business model.
One person who was seriously injured was in the house at the time of the crash
10:54, 18 May 2026Updated 11:00, 18 May 2026
Two people have been seriously injured after a car crashed into a house. Cambridgeshire Police and paramedics were called to the crash in Paston Ridings, Peterborough at around 6pm on Sunday (May 17).
A blue Ford Mondeo was driving along the road when it crashed into a house and stationery vehicles. The driver of the car, a 40-year-old man from Peterborough, was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
A 70-year-old woman, who was in the house at the time, was also taken to hospital with serious injuries. Cambridgeshire Police is appealing for information after the incident.
Advertisement
Anyone with information or dashcam footage should call police on 101 and quote Operation Perranwell. Alternatively, they can report it online.
The 16-year-old daughter of Tyson and Paris Fury and her new husband were spotted at Manchester Airport days after tying the knot on the Isle of Man
Venezuela Fury has been spotted at Manchester Airport as she heads off on her honeymoon after marrying her fiancé, Noah Price, over the weekend.
Advertisement
The eldest child of Tyson and Paris Fury tied the knot in a grand affair on the Isle of Man on Saturday (May 16), The extravagant ceremony at the Royal Chapel of St John the Baptist on the Isle of Man, where the Fury family recently relocated after giving up on life in Morecambe, Lancashire.
Wythenshawe-born boxer Tyson arrived at the church with the bride in a vintage wedding car, while his wife Paris helped make sure everything was in place ahead of the ceremony, spotted outside where the church was decorated with an archway of blue hydrangeas and yellow roses, and a long blue carpet had been rolled out to the entrance.
Click here to get the biggest stories straight to your inbox in our Daily Newsletter
Venezuela wore a stunning white lace fishtail dress with a 50-foot-long train for her big day, and there was even a glimpse of the infamous white Crocs the bride said she would wear, despite her mum’s uncertainty that it was the right look for the wedding. Her now-husband, meanwhile, was sporting a smart white suit, while his new father-in-law looked dapper in a black ensemble.
Advertisement
After the teens tied the knot, it is believed that the wedding reception took place at the nearby four-star Comis Hotel and Golf Club, which is where, according to reports, police were called after an incident occurred just moments after nineties popstar Peter Andre performed a string of chart-topping hits at the lavish wedding reception.
Now, the new Mr and Mrs Price have been seen at Manchester Airport on Monday (May 18) morning as they prepared to fly off on their honeymoon. A newly-married Venezuela was seen sporting a bright yellow co-ord, and kept her oversized black glasses from her big day, covering her eyes.
The couple were seen stopping for a spot of breakfast as they waited for their flight, and were also pictured browsing duty-free as they wandered the airport.
Advertisement
It comes after Tyson took to social media and reflected on his daughter’s big day. Late on Sunday (May 17), he shared a video on Instagram of the moment Venezuela made her entrance into the church, with him proudly walking alongside her. It also revealed that the choice of entrance song was The Notorious B.I.G track, Juicy.
Alongside the sweet clip, he wrote: “A beautiful day of celebrating my daughter’s wedding day, @venezuelaprice1, she was amazing & I’m very proud of her! We both were crying like babies,” (sic).
Advertisement
It came after Paris shared some snaps of Venezuela posing in a white less dress, which she wore as she prepared for the nuptials. Alongside the photos, the mum-of-seven gushed: “My beautiful girl, so proud I was of you today. You looked beautiful, @venezuelaprice1”.
In the lead-up to this year’s event, five countries’ national broadcasters announced they would not be competing at Eurovision in 2026 in protest over the decision to allow Israel to return.
On Saturday evening, the Belgian broadcaster VRT said it was not looking likely that it would be taking part in the contest next year if the situation remains as it currently is.
In a statement posted on VRT’s website, spokesperson Yasmin Van der Borcht said: “Today, the chances are slim that VRT will send an artist next year.
Advertisement
“We expect a strong message from the [European Broadcasting Union, the group of broadcasters which organises Eurovision every year] against war and violence and in favour of respect for human rights. These are the values that should unite the festival, and at the moment they are being overshadowed far too much.”
She continued: “We are asking for a clear framework for participation, an open debate, and a direct vote among EBU members. So far, we have received an insufficient response to this. Even during the semi-finals this week, we received no signal that the EBU is hearing our concerns.
“Naturally, we want to discuss this with other broadcasters. But if the EBU’s position does not change, the chances are slim that VRT will send an artist next year.”
HuffPost UK has contacted Eurovision for comment.
Advertisement
Israeli performer Noam Bettan pictured during the Eurovision 2026 final
It should be noted that Belgium has two national broadcasters – the Francophone RTBF and the Flemish-speaking VRT – which alternate organising Eurovision each year.
This year, it was RTBF’s turn, with VRT having said last year that it “shares and supports the position of the countries that have withdrawn from participating in the Eurovision Song Contest”.
Saturday’s live final saw Israel finishing in second place for the second year in a row.
However, it was Bulgaria’s Dara who wound up lifting the Eurovision trophy, marking the country’s first ever win at the contest.
And having a sense of purpose “appears to widely buffer against mortality risk across the adult years,” a 2015 paper found.
Yet another paper, this time looking at data from 22,000 participants, found that “Personality nuances were associated with mortality risk in four samples”.
Which personality traits might help you live longer?
1) Being active
Advertisement
This self-descriptor was most linked to a longer life in the 2025 paper (27% lower mortality risk).
Study author, psychologist Professor René Mõttus, told The Guardian: “The word ‘active’ was the most striking.
“Participants who described themselves this way were significantly less likely to die during the study period – with a 21% lower risk, even when age, gender and medical conditions were taken into account.”
2) Being lively
Advertisement
The trait, tied in this study to outgoingness, seemed te be another helpful self-description (12% lower risk) for those hoping to live long.
“The extraversion items active and lively were related to a lower mortality risk,” the paper reads.
Separate 2017 research linked higher levels of extraversion to a 14% reduction in mortality.
3) Being organised
Advertisement
The study also found that higher levels of conscientiousness, including describing yourself as organised, were linked to a longer life (14% lower mortality risk).
“Being ‘organised’ might help people stick to routines that improve health, but it may also reflect underlying psychological resilience or social habits that contribute to a longer life,” study author Professor Páraic O’Súilleabháin told The Guardian.
The UK’s fastest growing disco show, AHH…FREAK OUT!, is bringing its unstoppable groove and feel-good party atmosphere back to The Point on Friday 3rd July. Disco isn’t just making a comeback, it’s roaring into the spotlight. As audiences continue to crave uplifting live entertainment, AHH…FREAK OUT! has cemented itself as the UK’s fastest-growing disco show, delivering packed houses and standing ovations night after night.
Arsenal, Man City, Manchester United and Aston Villa have all secured their seats at Europe’s top table next season, with Liverpool firm favourites to round out the top five.
EPS awards extra places in the Champions League to the two leagues with the best overall record across their three European competitions each season.
But sixth place will also earn a backdoor route to the Champions League – though only on one condition.
Europe’s top prize: The Champions League
AFP via Getty Images
Advertisement
Chelsea have dropped to tenth, six points off the Cherries and are significant outsiders to leapfrog four other teams in the final week of the Premier League campaign.
But hope remains, albeit faint, and it’s all down to Aston Villa winning the Europa League… and finishing fifth.
Villa face Freiburg Europa League final on Wednesday night in Istanbul, and the winners of that competition automatically qualify for the Champions League.
If Villa finish fourth in the Premier League and win the Europa League, then there is no change to the qualification spots. Villa would qualify for the Champions League as Europa League winners and via their Premier League finish.
Advertisement
However, if Villa finish in the fifth EPS-awarded spot and win the Europa League, they would qualify for the Champions League as Europa League winners while the EPS spot would move to the team below them in sixth.
Europa League finalists: Aston Villa
Getty
Villa will finish fifth if they lose to Man City on the final day and Liverpool beat Brentford. This is because Unai Emery’s side, despite beating the Reds 4-2 last Friday, have an inferior goal difference and would therefore drop a place if the two teams finish level on points.
If Villa live up to their end of the bargain, there is still plenty of work for Chelsea to do in order to finish sixth.
Advertisement
How Chelsea can qualify for Champions League
Chelsea will qualify for the Champions League if the following scenarios play out:
Aston Villa win the Europa League AND lose to Man City
Liverpool beat Brentford
Brighton fail to beat Man United
Bournemouth LOSE to Man City and Nottingham Forest
Chelsea have not won a Premier League match since beating Villa on March 4, so they are by no means guaranteed to record back-to-back wins over Spurs and Sunderland to keep their faint hopes of Champions League qualification alive.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login