NewsBeat

Shotley Park Consett arson probe remains ongoing, say police

Published

on

The derelict Shotley Park Care Home in Shotley Bridge, Consett went up in flames on October 5.

At one point, five fire crews were deployed to takle the blaze, and by the time flames were extinguished, the building was unrecognisable, with much of the roof and windows destroyed.

The Shotley Park fire. (Image: CDDFRS)

An arson investigation was launched Durham Police and a 16-year-old questioned then released under investigation. Police also spoke to a “number of witnesses”.

A force spokesperson confirmed on Monday (February 16) that an investigation remains ongoing.

Advertisement

The former care home has been a target for anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Andy Liddell, from Consett Neighbourhood Team, said previously: “This building has historically been a hotspot for antisocial behaviour and criminal damage due to its derelict condition.

The Shotley Park fire. (Image: CDDFRS)

“The neighbourhood team have done extensive problem-solving working alongside partners to try and identify offenders and target harden the building against future misuse.

“Officers have also carried out education work with local schools around the dangers of entering disused buildings which may be structurally unsafe.”

Advertisement


Reacting to the blaze, one resident said the building looked to be “practically demolished”, while neighbour Martin Sharpe argued the blaze was “only a matter of time”.

He said: “The young’uns have been setting little fires all summer.

“My mam was in that care home in 2012 and I used to put stair lifts in it. There’d been rumours it was being turned into a hotel.

“It’s a shame because it was a lovely building.”

Advertisement

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version