NewsBeat
The fight for Oldham Council LIVE as independent group launches bid for control of town hall
An independent group will today bid to take over Oldham Council two weeks after the elections left the council in turmoil.
Coun Kamran Ghafoor, who leads the third biggest group on council, is promising the borough ‘a fresh start’ and ‘full accountability’ – but may not have the numbers to succeed.
Ahead of a crucial meeting today (May 20,) only Coun Ghafoor, the leader of the Oldham Group, is pushing to lead the council after both Labour and Reform ruled out forming an administration. The political stalemate following elections earlier this month has led to criticism from the public and even talk of an outside intervention to sort things out.
Click here for the latest on Greater Manchester’s politics in our newsletter
Three nominations have also been put forward for Mayor, but it is not certain this position will be filled today, as planned.
Yesterday (May 19,) Coun Ghafoor said: “Oldham residents voted for change. They voted for a Council that gets the basics right, respects every ward, listens to councillors, and stops hiding behind spin while services decline.
“The proposed Alliance is not about one party, one community, one religion or one individual. It is about bringing together councillors from different political groups and backgrounds to deliver a fresh start for the whole borough.
“For too long, Oldham has been run in a way where decisions are made behind closed doors, ward councillors are bypassed, scrutiny is weakened, and residents are left in the dark. That must now change.”
The LDRS has been told the Oldham Group is also being supported by the borough’s Liberal Democrats, Conservatives, and some independents. The alliance commits to fair funding across the borough, more scrutiny and transparency, a review of council finances, and full cooperation with the national inquiry into child sexual exploitation.
This is a live blog. Follow below for updates
You must be logged in to post a comment Login