Connect with us

NewsBeat

Thieves raid German bank just months after huge raid in nearby city | World News

Published

on

The Volksbank branch in Stuhr, Germany. Pic: Google Maps

Police in Germany are appealing for witnesses after thieves broke into the basement of a bank and stole from customer safety deposit boxes.

Three individuals, who are thought to be men, were seen wearing blue overalls and walking from a Volksbank branch in Stuhr, northwestern Germany, at around 1.20pm on Friday (13 February), authorities said.

They added that the trio were walking towards a dark car, but witnesses have so far said they aren’t sure whether they got in and drove away or walked past.

The break-in comes just months after a huge heist in the city of Gelsenkirchen, a two-and-a-half-hour train journey from Stuhr.

Advertisement

A gang of thieves took advantage of the Christmas holidays and drilled into a vault to steal millions of pounds worth of valuables.

Advertisement

Millions were stolen in the December 2025 heist

Witnesses saw several men carrying large bags into the stairwell of a garage next to the bank overnight on Saturday 27 December.

CCTV footage then captured a black Audi leaving early in the morning on Monday 29 December.

Advertisement

The men broke into thousands of deposit boxes, with initial estimates placing the value of the raid between €10m to €90m (£8.6m to £78m), according to a police spokesperson.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NewsBeat

Chilling footage shows elderly grandfather being dragged from his home in kidnap gone wrong

Published

on

Daily Mirror

Shock footage shows the moment the 85-year-old was dragged by two men from his home in – what police say – is a horror case of mistaken identity.

Chilling CCTV footage has captured the terrifying moment an 85-year-old grandfather was abducted from his own home in what police believe was a shocking case of mistaken identity.

Chris Baghsarian was taken just before 5am on Friday after intruders forced their way into his home in New South Wales, Australia, with his captors caught on camera bundling the elderly man into a waiting car as he pleaded for help.

Grainy vision aired on Australian news network Nine shows two men — one wearing a high-visibility jacket — arriving at the North Ryde home in a dark four-wheel-drive before approaching the property. Moments later, Mr Baghsarian can be seen being pushed towards the vehicle before it speeds away into the darkness.

Advertisement

Police later discovered an abandoned dark Toyota SUV that they believed is linked to the abduction. The car, found more than eight miles away, was completley burned out.

New South Wales Police Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said officers were “a million per cent confident” the kidnappers had taken the wrong man, stressing that Mr Baghsarian and his family had no links to organised crime.

“He was taken from his bedroom in the family home and driven to a location we simply don’t know,” Superintendent Marks said. “We believe he is still alive, but we are deeply concerned for his welfare.”

Advertisement

No ransom demand has been made for the elderly man. Police added that they have no idea why the kidnappers are still holding the him hostage, but have called on the kidnappers to act with humanity and release him immediately.

“Take him to a hospital or somewhere safe,” Superintendent Marks said. “We’ll do the rest.”

Advertisement

Mr Baghsarian requires daily medication, raising serious fears for his health as the desperate search continues.

New South Wales premier Chris Minns described the family as “distraught”. He called on those responsible for the savage abduction to do the right thing.

Advertisement

“This is a man over 80 years old,” Mr Minns said. “Please return him to his family.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers in Australia on 1800 333 000.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Royal Mail staff tell BBC letters sit undelivered as firm prioritises parcels

Published

on

Royal Mail staff tell BBC letters sit undelivered as firm prioritises parcels

Right now, Bob said: “Every day there’s mail left behind, one, maybe two, maybe three rounds which are not covered… The tracked recorded parcels are done every day, because they make a difference to the stats for the office, but anything that’s not tracked every day there’ll be mail that’s not going out.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Fit Club York named best in the city by Press readers

Published

on

Fit Club York named best in the city by Press readers

Fit Club York in Redeness Street has won the title of best gym in the city, nominated by readers of The Press.

Founder and head coach Chris Hill said: “When I told the staff they were over the moon.

“It sums up everything we’re about and I think it speaks for the strength of what we’ve built.

“The staff feel very proud and it proves that members wanted us to win.”

Advertisement

Chris said he’d kept the result quiet from the community of members at the gym and was looking forward to the extra buzz around the place and in its WhatsApp groups.

He added: “I think everyone will be really chuffed.

“They all know how much it means to me and there was a lot of tough competition in the shortlist.

Chris Hill, founder and head coach of Fit Club York (Image: Supplied)

“In terms of numbers, our membership of 200 is quite small in comparison with some of the others who readers nominated in their top ten, so thanks to every single one of them who went out and posted their votes off for us.”

Advertisement

The founder said “support, community and results” are Fit Club’s three pillars.

He added: “We guarantee results, the support comes from what we give, and the community element comes through a calendar of social events and meet-ups.

“We have things like Padel social nights, pizza nights, hike and bike events on Sundays – people bring their partners and their dogs and we always have a lunch together.

“We have a birthday celebration four years in May and normally throw a bit of a bash – with the news of this result it will be an extra special one this year.

Advertisement

“We have created this community to stand us apart, and put them at the heart of everything, so to have this recognition is incredible.”

Chris Hill saluted coaching team at Fit Club, who include “right-hand man” Rhys Derbyshire, Bex Davison and Kaine Barefoot.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Major police update in Gus Lamont case as 75-year-old arrested

Published

on

Daily Mirror

Task Force Horizon detectives have today arrested a 75-year-old from Grampus and charged them with firearm offences at the property where Gus Lamont went missing

An elderly person has been charged with gun offences at the property where Gus Lamont went missing.

Acting Officer in Charge of Major Crime Investigation Branch Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae said on Monday that the charges are not related to the disappearance of the four-year-old.

A police spokesperson said: “Members attached to Task Force Horizon conducting inquiries at Oak Park Station in connection with the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont on 27 September have concluded searching for evidence today.

Advertisement

“Inquiries are ongoing and it is anticipated that Task Force Horizon detectives will remain in the area tomorrow, Tuesday 17 February. An update on the search activities will be provided as they progress.

“As a result of a previous search at Oak Park Station, Task Force Horizon detectives have today arrested a 75-year-old from Grampus and charged them with firearm offences. They have been bailed to appear in the Peterborough Magistrates Court on 6 May.

“Acting Officer in Charge of Major Crime Investigation Branch Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae said the charges are not related to the disappearance of Gus Lamont nor a previous incident at Oak Park Station in October 2025 involving media attending the property.”

This is a Breaking News story. You’ll be more likely to see our stories when any big news breaks in future by simply by clicking this link . You can also join The Mirror’s WhatsApp Community or follow us on Google News , Flipboard , Apple News , TikTok , Snapchat , Instagram , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube and Threads – or visit The Mirror homepage .

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

That’s not all, folks: why Looney Tunes still matter nearly 100 years on

Published

on

That’s not all, folks: why Looney Tunes still matter nearly 100 years on

Rather than reinventing the characters, Bauza sees his role as one of guardianship. He frequently credits original voice actor Mel Blanc, who passed away in 1989 and is referred to as “the man of 1,000 voices” on his own tombstone, along with legendary animators Chuck Jones and Bob Clampett, for laying the foundations that still define Looney Tunes today.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

‘Truth is antidote to Putin’s poison’ and ‘Europe sabotage campaign’

Published

on

'Truth is antidote to Putin's poison' and 'Europe sabotage campaign'
The headline of the Metro reads: "Cooper: Truth is antidote to Putin's poison."

Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper calls for “tougher new sanctions” to be placed on Russia following her probe into the death of Navalny, Metro reports. Meanwhile, a “golden moment of history” at the Winter Olympics features large at the top of the paper’s front page, with snowboarders Charlotte Banks and Huw Nightingale celebrating “Britain’s first ever Winter Olympic gold on snow”

The headline of the Indepedent reads: "'It's dark, it's cold ... it's endless'."

A photograph of the “daily life in Kyiv”, depicting people lining up for food in the cold weather, takes up the entire front page of the Independent. “It’s dark, it’s cold … it’s endless”, is the paper’s headline. It says people are “battling to survive winter as Putin’s latest strategy targets power supplies”

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Bondi Beach attack suspect Naveed Akram makes first appearance in court

Published

on

Bondi Beach attack suspect Naveed Akram makes first appearance in court

A man accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest mass shooting in three decades at Bondi Beach last year has appeared in court for the first time.

Naveed Akram, 24, faces 59 charges in relation to the attack on a Jewish event at Sydney’s Archer Park that killed at least 15 people and injured dozens on Sunday 14 December.

Mr Akram appeared via video link on Monday at the Downing Centre Local Court and spoke briefly, mostly in single-word answers.

The magistrate extended suppression orders which were made late last year to protect the identities of victims and survivors after they opted not to be publicly identified.

Advertisement

Mr Akram and his father Sajid Akram are accused of targeting Jewish people celebrating Hanukkah in an anti-semitic attack that sent shockwaves around the world. It was Australia’s worst mass shooting since 1996, and the worst terror attack targeting Australians since the 2002 Bali bombings.

Sajid Akram was shot dead by police at the scene.

People run on the beach during a shooting incident on a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach in Sydney

People run on the beach during a shooting incident on a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach in Sydney (Alex Larriaga via REUTERS)

Mr Akram, who was wearing a green jumper and sat with his hands on his lap, only spoke after deputy chief magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he had been listening to a discussion about an extension of suppression orders.

Advertisement

“Did you just hear what I just said?” Ms Freund asked. Mr Akram replied: “Yeah.”

His Legal Aid solicitor, Ben Archbold, later asked the magistrate for time to speak with his client.

“Mr Akram, your solicitor is going to give you a call after,” the magistrate said. “Yep,” the accused replied.

Mr Archbold said it was too early to confirm what plea his client would enter and he was yet to receive the brief of evidence.

Advertisement
Belongings of members of the Jewish community are seen at the scene of a shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney

Belongings of members of the Jewish community are seen at the scene of a shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney (AFP via Getty Images)

Speaking to reporters outside the court, he said his client was “as well as can be expected” as he remains in the Goulburn supermax prison in New South Wales.

“Everyone knows it’s supermax … very onerous conditions,” Mr Archbold said.

Asked if Mr Akram had given an interview to the police, he said: “All we’ve done is start the process. We’re waiting for the brief to be served. There’s nothing more I can say.”

Advertisement

Mr Archbold also said he went to the High Risk Management Correctional Centre (HRMCC) to visit Mr Akram.

When asked about his visit and Mr Akram’s conditions, he said: “He’s just a client and he’s a client that needs to be represented, and we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional obligations.”

Ben Archbold, legal aid solicitor for Naveed Akram, speaks to media outside the Downing Centre Local and District Court in Sydney

Ben Archbold, legal aid solicitor for Naveed Akram, speaks to media outside the Downing Centre Local and District Court in Sydney (via REUTERS)

Police allege that the Bondi Beach attackers parked their vehicle near a footbridge overlooking Archer Park at Bondi at about 6.50pm on 14 December.

Advertisement

It is alleged that a “tennis ball bomb” and three pipe bombs were thrown into the crowd before the pair opened fire.

None of the bombs detonated, but were deemed viable during preliminary police analysis.

In December, court documents made public police allegations that Sajid and Naveed Akram visited the area for “reconnaissance and planning” in the days before the attack.

Police have further accused the pair of conducting firearms training in the Australian countryside.

Advertisement

Mr Akram will return to court in April.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Yvette Cooper defends Palestine Action ban after court rules it was unlawful

Published

on

Yvette Cooper defends Palestine Action ban after court rules it was unlawful

Asked on the Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips programme on Sky News to explain her decision-making, Ms Cooper said: “I followed the clear advice and recommendations, going through a serious process that the Home Office goes through, involving different agencies and police advice as well, which was very clear about the recommendation for proscription of this group.

Source link

Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Scots woman shocked after breasts started growing again after reduction surgery

Published

on

Daily Record

Hally Galletta underwent a breast reduction and uplift last April, hoping to finally feel comfortable in her body.

A woman was left shocked after noticing her breasts growing back just weeks after she splashed out the cash for reduction surgery.

Advertisement

Hally Galletta was left “a bit scared” after noticing how her chest was changing. As she doesn’t qualify for the surgery on the NHS, Hally, from Perth, is paying for a second op.

She said: “Literally within a month-and-a-half after it was done, I looked down and I was like, ‘These things have just appeared again – they’re back,’ I’m getting another breast reduction next month.

“I’m a bit scared because it’s the second time in eight months but I’m literally going to say, ‘I want to be a size A’. I’m just going to say [to the doctors to] ‘Take them all off’ at this point’.”

Despite being told by her surgeon that 200g – roughly the weight of an adult hamster – were removed from each breast, Hally felt the results were barely noticeable.

Advertisement

She said: “It’s really annoying after paying so much money and some people get them through the NHS. But I know I wouldn’t qualify and I feel like it’s a long wait. [On the upside], it was a really fast process.

“I had my consultation a couple of weeks after I contacted the hospital and then I got to pick the surgery date, which was really good.

“After the surgery, they were very tight and it looked like there was a difference. The surgeon said he took 200g out of each, but my friends say they look the same size as before.”

Hally’s first op was in and her second will be next month. She added: “I’ve not put any weight on to make them grow back, I’m literally the same weight I was before the surgery.

Advertisement

“We’ll see how that [the surgery] goes and if they appear back again because I’m not going for a third. I feel like that’s a sign I’ve got to keep them.”

Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

NewsBeat

Starmer pledges crackdown on ‘addictive elements’ of social media

Published

on

Starmer pledges crackdown on 'addictive elements' of social media

The prime minister added that the government will “bring new powers that will give us the ability to crack down on the addictive elements of social media, stop the auto-play, the never-ending scrolling, that keeps are children hooked on their screens for hours, and stop kids getting around age limits”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025