NewsBeat

Trump AG Todd Blanche wants to give felons back their guns

Published

on

Newly sworn-in Attorney General Todd Blanche is opening a path for millions of Americans — including people with felony convictions — to seek restoration of their federal gun rights.

On Tuesday, Blanche finalized a rule and launched a new process allowing certain people barred from firearm ownership to apply for relief from that prohibition.

“The Second Amendment is not a second-class right, and the federal government should not permanently deprive Americans of a constitutional right without regard to whether they pose a danger to public safety,” Blanche said in a statement.

“This rule establishes a rigorous, commonsense process that protects the public while giving deserving Americans a real path to restoration,” he added.

Advertisement

Under the Gun Control Act, several categories of people are prohibited from transporting, receiving or possessing firearms, according to the ATF. They include people convicted of crimes punishable by more than a year in prison, fugitives from justice, unlawful users of controlled substances, undocumented immigrants and people dishonorably discharged from the military.

Attorney General Todd Blanche launched a new process that would allow felons to apply for their gun rights to be reinstated (Getty Images)

U.S. Pardon Attorney Edward Martin said roughly 30 million Americans have lost their gun rights.

The Justice Department’s new process will allow eligible individuals to apply for restoration, though approval will not be automatic.

“Each applicant must establish to the Attorney General’s satisfaction that the circumstances giving rise to the prohibition, together with the applicant’s record, reputation, and subsequent conduct, demonstrate that the applicant is not likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest,” the press release states.

Some groups will ‘remain presumptively ineligible for relief,’ including undocumented immigrants, violent felons and registered sex offenders. Pictured: Blanche speaks at his Senate confirmation hearing (Reuters)

Some groups will “remain presumptively ineligible for relief,” including undocumented immigrants, violent felons and registered sex offenders. Relief granted through the federal process also would not supersede state-level firearm restrictions.

The final rule takes effect in 30 days, when applicants will be able to submit applications online. The Justice Department estimates that about 330,000 people could apply during the program’s first year.

Advertisement

Blanche, Trump’s former personal attorney, previously served as deputy attorney general and acting attorney general. The Senate confirmed him as attorney general earlier this month in a 50-49 vote.

He was sworn in on August 10.

Source link

Advertisement

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version