NewsBeat

Wessex Water announces first hosepipe ban in 50 years

Published

on

Wessex Water has become the latest water company to announce a hosepipe ban – its first in 50 years.

The firm, which supplies 1.4 million customers across Bath, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, last put a ban in place during the infamous hot summer of 1976.

The ban begins at one minute past midnight on Tuesday 18 August.

More than 27 million people across England are already under hosepipe bans.

Advertisement

It comes after the UK roasted in five heatwaves over the summer, with a potential sixth on the way before autumn arrives.

On Thursday, the hottest day of the year was recorded at London’s Kew Gardens, with temperatures reaching a sizzling 38.1C.

The UK experienced its hottest day of the year last week (PA)

“After 50 years without a hosepipe ban in the Wessex Water region – the first since the famous drought of 1976 – this isn’t a decision we’ve made lightly and we’re sorry for the inconvenience it will cause,” Wessex Water chief executive Ruth Jefferson said.

“We know so many of our customers have already been taking steps to save water and we’re incredibly grateful for their support so far this summer. It makes such a difference.

“But the prolonged and extreme dry weather has meant demand across our region has consistently remained at more than 400 million litres per day, 30 per cent above average for this time of year and the equivalent of almost half a million hosepipes running for a full hour every day.

Advertisement

“While we’re not running out of water for essential use, our challenge has been moving water through the network quickly enough to meet these record levels of demand.

“This also has an impact on our underground storage reservoirs, which normally replenish with treated water quickly.”

The UK has roasted in five heatwaves so far this summer (PA)

Wessex Water said that it is contacting larger business customers who are high water users to encourage them to avoid non-essential use.

It is also encouraging households to make small and simple changes during the ongoing dry spell to ensure water supplies and the environment are protected.

Those include letting the lawn go brown, using watering cans to water plants, keeping showers short and not washing the car.

Advertisement

A yellow heat health alert has been extended until 9am on Tuesday for the South East, South West, and London.

Rain is expected in the south this week, with showers becoming more widespread on Thursday.

“I can’t promise rain for all of us through the week ahead, but in the south at least, it’s looking like the most changeable week we’ve seen here – well at least since the end of June,” Met Office meteorologist Tom Morgan said.

Subscribe here to get the latest updates from The Independent.

Advertisement

Source link

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Trending

Exit mobile version