Thames Valley Police confirmed the former prince had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday, following the release of the Epstein files
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has left a police station after being released under investigation following his arrest on Thursday morning.
Thames Valley Police said on Thursday evening: “Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office. On Thursday we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“The arrested man has now been released under investigation. We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
The force said its searches in Berkshire are still underway, and that it would make no further statement at this time, according to the Mirror.
Andrew was pictured reclining in the back seat of a car almost 12 hours after his arrest. Ensure our latest news and sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
Thames Valley Police confirmed earlier on Thursday that the former prince had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office following allegations arising out of the release of millions of pages of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew, who was taken into police custody on his 66th birthday, has previously strenuously denied any wrongdoing in respect of allegations arising out of his links to and relationship with Epstein, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
Previously, Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.” It is understood neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of Andrew’s arrest.
In response to the arrest, Charles said: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
A number of police forces across the UK are assessing information released as part of the Epstein files document dump. Officers from Surrey, Bedfordshire, Essex, Norfolk, the West Midlands, Wiltshire and Scotland have all said they are reviewing information.
Get daily breaking news updates on your phone by joining our WhatsApp community here. We occasionally treat members to special offers, promotions and ads from us and our partners. See our Privacy Notice.



