Politics
Channel 4 Pulls Married At First Sight UK After Panorama Allegations
Channel 4 has pulled every episode of Married At First Sight UK amid controversy over a BBC Panorama special about the reality show.
On Monday, the BBC announced that it would be airing The Dark Side Of Married At First Sight that evening, featuring accounts from three former contestants who have accused their co-stars of sexual misconduct.
The half-hour exposé featured a contribution from one ex-MAFS UK contestant, Shona Manderson, who alleged the man she was paired up with on the show violated her consent by ejaculating inside of her during sex, when they had previously agreed on using the withdrawal method as a form of contraception.
Shona eventually told production company CPL’s welfare team what had happened. Their legal team has claimed that Shona told CPL at the time that it wasn’t something she had any issue with.
Not long after, Shona and her on-screen “husband” were removed from the show, after production began taking issue with the language he was using to speak to her on screen, which they felt was “controlling”.
Bradley Skelly, the man in question, told the BBC that he denies “any allegations of sexual misconduct” or “controlling” behaviour.
Ash Knotek/Shutterstock for Channel Four
Two more anonymous former contestants also brought allegations that they were raped by their on-screen “husbands”, with one claiming her partner threatened to have acid thrown in her face.
Channel 4 said on Monday that an external review was commissioned in April into the welfare of MAFS UK contestants.
“In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied,” a spokesperson said, as reported by Sky News.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
ANDY RAIN/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
The broadcaster’s chief executive Priya Dogra also said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.
“It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.
“Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.
“We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.”
She added: “On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”
Meanwhile, CPL’s legal team maintained to Panorama that its welfare and duty of care systems are “gold standard” and “industry-leading”.
CPL’s legal team also said that appropriate action had been taken in all cases when issues were raised to the production company’s welfare team.
A representative for the Department For Digital, Culture, Media And Sport spokesperson told the BBC that the allegations were “serious”, and that “everyone working and participating in television must be treated with dignity and respect at all times”.
The spokesperson continued: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full co-operation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”
Help and support:
- Rape Crisis services for women and girls who have been raped or have experienced sexual violence – 0808 802 9999
- Survivors UK offers support for men and boys – 0203 598 3898
You must be logged in to post a comment Login