Politics
Gaza slides toward famine as Israel tightens aid squeeze
More than 71,000 children under five are at risk of acute malnutrition in Gaza as Israel continues to restrict fuel, flour, and humanitarian aid imports, pushing Gaza closer towards famine, TRT World reported.
Israel tightens the squeeze on Gaza imports
Israa Al-Afifi, a pediatrician in Gaza, told TRT World that:
Children have been directly impacted by a policy of starvation . A growing number of children are suffering from malnutrition while the nutritional products and supplements essential for both prevention and treatment have become unavailable
Quds News Network posted pictures of queues at a food distribution point, which included many children — captioned “starvation continues in Gaza”.
Starvation continues in Gaza | Palestinians, including children, crowd around a food distribution point in Al-Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, waiting to receive a meal. pic.twitter.com/VK4qnmT84x
— Quds News Network (@QudsNen) May 15, 2026
Times of Gaza also posted on X, saying :
Officially, Gaza is facing famine once again.
Officially: Gaza is facing famine once again. pic.twitter.com/o6o8fgO7xk
— TIMES OF GAZA (@Timesofgaza) May 16, 2026
Growing bread queues
A fourteen-year-old called Muhammed al-Roubi told Al Jazeera he waits for hours under the beating sun, often returning empty-handed.
Calling attention to the aid squeeze by Israel, the report emphasised that:
Recent shortages stem from Israel’s decision to close the crossings into Gaza on February 28, when Israel launched a joint war with the United States on Iran. The crossings partially reopened after a few days, but traffic through them has been limited.
Israel ultimately decides how much will be let through, despite last year’s “ceasefire” with Hamas stipulating that Israel must significantly ease the restrictions.
Genocide unabated
Israel’s murders in Gaza are continuing unabated. The genocidal entity fatally struck a soup kitchen over the weekend, killing three charity workers.
Journalist Abubaked Abed shared a picture of the strike.
About yesterday in Deir al-Balah, Gaza.
A picture louder than millions of words. pic.twitter.com/oyoj2LZ0cJ
— Abubaker Abed (@AbubakerAbedW) May 18, 2026
The missile strike launched by Israel in Deir al-Balah killed at least three Palestinian people and injured dozens.
Journalist Motasem Dalloul also shared a picture of the attack, saying:
Israeli occupation army claimed it “assassinated armed terrorists” in this attack yesterday.. The two people who were killed in the attack were aid workers distributing cooked rice to the people starved by the Israeli occupation.
Israeli occupation army claimed it “assassinated armed terrorists” in this attack yesterday..
The two persons who were killed in the attack were aid workers distributing cooked rice to the people starved by the Israeli occupation.. pic.twitter.com/feawvUXCQ4
— Motasem A Dalloul (@AbujomaaGaza) May 18, 2026
The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said Israel has killed at least 871 people since the so-called ceasefire began last October.
Israel’s bombing of Gaza and its starvation blockade have never paused, despite the supposed ceasefire in place since autumn 2025. Israel is a terror state, and the UK continues to equip and enable it.
By The Canary
You must be logged in to post a comment Login