Politics
Keir Starmer’s war on democracy
spiked is funded by readers like you. Only 0.1% of regular readers currently support us. If just 1% did, we could grow our team and step up the fight for free speech and democracy.
Become a spiked supporter and enjoy unlimited, ad-free access, bonus content and exclusive events – while helping to keep independent journalism alive.
Politics
The Tories are to blame for the student loan system, Phillipson insists
“I want a fairer system for students and graduates”
Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson says the government will “look at” how it can improve the student loan system but does not commit to reforms called for by opposition parties #BBCLauraK
— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) February 22, 2026
Politics
Government Not Ruling Out Removing Andrew From Succession Line
A cabinet minister has promised the government is “not ruling anything out” when it comes to the possibility of removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession.
The former prince was already stripped of his titles last autumn over his connection to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Fresh details about their relationship saw police arrest Andrew, formerly a UK trade envoy, over allegations of misconduct in public office on Thursday.
He was released under investigation. The former Duke of York has always vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
The developments have sparked widespread calls for the government to take further action against the former prince, who remains eighth in line to the throne.
Doing so would require an act of parliament, meaning it would need approval from MPs and peers before going to the King for royal assent.
It would need to be supported by 14 Commonwealth countries where King Charles is still the head of state, too.
Andrew is also still part of the Privy Council, a formal body of advisers to the monarch, which acts as a key link between the monarchy and the government.
So Sky News presenter Trevor Phillips asked education secretary Bridget Phillipson: “When can we expect to see draft legislation, excluding the form of Prince Andrew from the line of succession?”
She replied: “So we’re not ruling anything out, around this, but we have obviously got a live police investigation underway, so we’ll not be setting out further steps until the police have been able to do their work.
“And wherever that investigation, wherever the evidence takes them.”
Phillips said: “But so you’re up for this and also presumably advising the King to remove him from the Privy Council?”
“So we’ve said that we have to keep all of these options available to us,” the cabinet minister replied. “But you’ll appreciate that because we have a live police investigation underway.
“It’s right that the police are allowed to do their job.
“Once that is concluded, then of course we’ll consider in discussion, with the royal family, with the King, what further action is needed.
“But I do just think as well, in all of this, we really shouldn’t lose sight of where this began.
“And where this began was with young women and girls being exploited over an extended period of time by a network of very powerful men and we can’t ever forget that.”
Her remarks come after defence minister Luke Pollard told BBC Radio 4 that the government has “absolutely” been working with Buckingham Palace to stop Andrew “potentially being a heartbeat away from the throne.”
He said he hoped the idea would receive “cross party support” but warned that something like that could only happen when the police investigation concludes.
Lib Dem leader Ed Davey said last week that the monarchy must work to make sure Andrew can “never become king”, while Green leader Zack Polanski said “when necessary” people should be “removed” from their positions.
Andrew was detained for 11 hours on Thursday, which was his 66th birthday.
Police searched his property on the Sandringham estate on the day and are in the middle of a five-day search of his Windsor home, Royal Lodge.
Several other police forces are allegedly considering launching an investigation into the former prince based on the Epstein files.
It comes after the US Department of Justice released more than three million documents about Epstein and his connections around the world last month, including his contact with Andrew.
Politics
Jenrick says Badenoch ‘got very riled’ by his defection to Reform
Reform UK treasury spokesperson Robert Jenrick tells @TrevorPTweets it ‘wasn’t an easy decision’ to leave the Conservatives, but refuses to respond to Kemi Badenoch’s comments about his defection.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) February 22, 2026
Politics
Trott supports removal of Andrew from royal succession
Shadow Education Secretary Laura Trott on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest and links to Jeffrey Epstein.
— GB News (@GBNEWS) February 22, 2026
The post Trott supports removal of Andrew from royal succession appeared first on Conservative Home.
Politics
Phillipson Refuses to Say US Could Use UK Military Bases to Hit Iran
Phillipson Refuses to Say US Could Use UK Military Bases to Hit Iran
Politics
Jenrick: The Country is Going Bankrupt, Reform Has Got to be Responsible
Jenrick: The Country is Going Bankrupt, Reform Has Got to be Responsible
Politics
Phillipson Grilled as Teacher Numbers Fall Year-on-Year
Phillipson Grilled as Teacher Numbers Fall Year-on-Year
Politics
Boris Johnson: UK Should Now Send Troops to Ukraine to ‘Flip a Switch’ in Putin’s Head
Boris Johnson: UK Should Now Send Troops to Ukraine to ‘Flip a Switch’ in Putin’s Head
Politics
HMO housing quality used as rallying cry for racist protest
The notoriously racist and Islamophobic group, the Official Protestant Coalition (OPC) is at it again, this time advertising a protest entitled “Local home for local people”. The intention here is clearly to signal that houses should not be reserved for migrants.
As has been the case for other protests they’ve promoted, the group seems to be adopting the plausible deniability approach when it comes to taking responsibility for organising the hate fest. The loyalist group say:
We have been informed. This protest is organised for the people by the people and everybody and every group no matter who they are is welcome time to make a stand. We have been asked to share this. We have not organised it, but we support it God bless.
OPC’s other recent posts include an example of how the far-right will find a way to bash Muslims regardless of the circumstances. They show a mocked-up headline featuring a picture of alleged rapist Andrew Windsor, with the words:
Prince Andrew converts to Islam; police immediately drop all charges
HMO dog whistle an excuse to bash migrants
The poster for the protest indicates it will take place on March 27 outside the planning offices for Belfast City Council. It also urges supporters to “Say no to HMOs”. HMO stands for House in Multiple Occupation, and has become a form of dog whistle for racists wanting to whip up anti-immigrant sentiment, under the guise of demanding better housing.
It can be an effective tactic, given that HMOs often are low-quality dwellings, suffering from mould and cramped rooms. Landlords will frequently convert a large home designed for a family and split it into separate flats. This increases what they term ‘yield’; i.e. you can cram a lot more people in than would previously have been the case, and make more money.
Often this ends up with unsuitable living conditions, such as kitchens or bathrooms without windows leading to the aforementioned issues with damp. In an article on how housing issues wrecked his mental health, Novara journalist Aaron Bastani described them as:
…shoeboxes with a focus on nothing but value extraction.
The other issue often raised is the issue of transience, in that HMOs are typically populated by young, single people who don’t stay long. This has led to complaints about a breakdown in “community cohesion“. In reality, they’re probably moving out quickly in most cases because the tiny damp flat they’re boxed into is unliveable.
The point about dire quality is doubly true for migrants, who typically end up in the worst places around. A recent report entitled Hostile Housing – The Health Impacts of Housing for People Seeking Asylum looked at the devastating impact shitty housing had on asylum seekers.
The vile reality — worst housing is reserved for asylum seekers
These are people who have typically had to flee their homes in horrendous circumstances, escaping persecution and war. Yet we disgracefully fail them by focusing on what the report terms “containment over care”. The authors found that:
Four key themes emerged from the survey data: inadequate housing conditions, loss of autonomy and rights, privacy and safety concerns, and food insecurity.
On housing quality, respondents described widespread problems including overcrowding, damp, mould, poor ventilation and persistent noise. These conditions were linked by participants to respiratory problems, skin conditions and deterioration in mental health.
One woman said:
Yes, I’m suffocating a lot, I’m 31 weeks pregnant in very small room where there is no ventilation… I have breathing issue because of this.
The likes of Serco, Mears Group and Clearsprings Ready Homes — who provide accommodation for asylum seekers — have attempted to have HMO legislation watered down.
The issue of housing should be the ultimate low hanging fruit for the left. Under a project of “more — and better quality — housing for all”, we could ensure better homes for everyone, and cut off an easy rallying point for the far-right.
The organisers of these protests are likely bile-filled racists, and some attendees will be too. That won’t be true of everyone going, however. Some will be angry people stuck on the obscenely long list for social housing, others will be people living in crap rentals under dodgy landlords. It’s a lot easier to scapegoat asylum seekers for social problems when those social problems are real.
The trick is to fix those problems, and show that it’s the likes of landlords, massive corporations, and their political lackeys who are to blame, not vulnerable people seeking protection after fleeing their home abroad.
Featured image via Belfast Media
Politics
Trott: Labour is Trying to Tear Down the Performance of Those at the Top
Trott: Labour is Trying to Tear Down the Performance of Those at the Top
-
Video6 days agoBitcoin: We’re Entering The Most Dangerous Phase
-
Crypto World5 days agoCan XRP Price Successfully Register a 33% Breakout Past $2?
-
Video2 days agoXRP News: XRP Just Entered a New Phase (Almost Nobody Noticed)
-
Fashion2 days agoWeekend Open Thread: Boden – Corporette.com
-
Sports5 days agoGB's semi-final hopes hang by thread after loss to Switzerland
-
Politics6 hours agoBaftas 2026: Awards Nominations, Presenters And Performers
-
Tech5 days agoThe Music Industry Enters Its Less-Is-More Era
-
Business5 days agoInfosys Limited (INFY) Discusses Tech Transitions and the Unique Aspects of the AI Era Transcript
-
Entertainment4 days agoKunal Nayyar’s Secret Acts Of Kindness Sparks Online Discussion
-
Video5 days agoFinancial Statement Analysis | Complete Chapter Revision in 10 Minutes | Class 12 Board exam 2026
-
Tech4 days agoRetro Rover: LT6502 Laptop Packs 8-Bit Power On The Go
-
Sports3 days agoClearing the boundary, crossing into history: J&K end 67-year wait, enter maiden Ranji Trophy final | Cricket News
-
Entertainment4 days agoDolores Catania Blasts Rob Rausch For Turning On ‘Housewives’ On ‘Traitors’
-
Business4 days agoTesla avoids California suspension after ending ‘autopilot’ marketing
-
NewsBeat7 days agoThe strange Cambridgeshire cemetery that forbade church rectors from entering
-
Politics5 days agoEurovision Announces UK Act For 2026 Song Contest
-
Crypto World4 days agoWLFI Crypto Surges Toward $0.12 as Whale Buys $2.75M Before Trump-Linked Forum
-
NewsBeat7 days agoMan dies after entering floodwater during police pursuit
-
Crypto World3 days ago83% of Altcoins Enter Bear Trend as Liquidity Crunch Tightens Grip on Crypto Market
-
Business28 minutes agoMattel’s American Girl brand turns 40, dolls enter a new era
