Connect with us

Sports

2026 Hobartville Stakes a key distance trial for Napoleonic

Published

on

By placing behind leading filly Tempted in his seasonal reappearance against stronger three-year-olds, Napoleonic highlighted his potential, with the next step being to confirm his ability over added ground.

The colt will have that shot at Rosehill this Saturday, attempting 1400 metres for the debut time in the Group 2 Hobartville Stakes.

Kept at 1200m in the spring campaign where he claimed three wins from four including stakes glory at Moonee Valley, co-trainer Tom Charlton now views him as suited to further and eyes a 1600m tilt in the Randwick Guineas next month.

“We feel confident about the 1400 and, in regards to a mile, it’s definitely a possibility,” Charlton said.

Advertisement

“This weekend will give us a more definitive answer to whether we press on (to the Randwick Guineas).

“We will get through the weekend but there are some nice options on the table.”

Rider Zac Lloyd shares Charlton’s enthusiasm, having guided Napoleonic first-up and set to continue in the Hobartville.

Lloyd considers the track firmness more detrimental than the step-up in trip, and anticipates a strong showing against Group 1 stars Autumn Boy and Attica.

Advertisement

“I think he’s a very good colt,” Lloyd said.

“I ride him a fair bit at home, so I’m very excited to see what he can do on Saturday.

“And even after Saturday, probably in Group One company, I think he’ll perform very well.

“He does appreciate a bit of give in the track, which he might not get at Rosehill, so that could be a little knock against him. But I think 1400, and in due time a mile, will suit him a lot.”

Advertisement

Journeyman, fresh off a brilliant midweek debut at Warwick Farm earlier this month, was removed from the field after being lame in his off-hind leg on Wednesday.

Co-trainer Will Freedman revealed the gelding is going for scans, the problem not seeming grave, but a cautious spell is probable.

Find the latest betting markets for the race ahead of the Hobartville Stakes.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Alcaraz wins first Doha Title, improves to 12–0 in 2026

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz defeated Arthur Fils 6-2, 6-1 to win the Doha title for the first time in his career.

The win marks the 26th title of his career at just 22 years old, improves him to 12–0 in 2026, and gives him his second title of the season, his best start to a year.

During the match, Alcaraz was also seen smiling at a fan’s sign that read:
“Carlos you have two options, you can adopt me, or you can sign this.”

  • Jessica Pegula secures fourth WTA 1000 title in DubaiJessica Pegula secures fourth WTA 1000 title in Dubai

Advertisement

After the match, Fils congratulated him with humor.

“Cabrón … you played very good. You made a hell of a job man. It’s a joke. Congrats to you and your team. I wish you many more. Keep going like this.”

Alcaraz responded warmly.

Advertisement

“Arthur, it’s a pleasure to share the court with you man. I told you that more than making results and everything, for me it makes me really happy seeing you on the court once again. I know you struggled physically. You struggled with injuries. I’ve been through that. To be able to forget that and start again, playing such great tennis… making finals, it makes me really happy to share the court, locker, and tournament with you. Great job with your team and family as well. Keep going. For sure we’re gonna share great moments.”

He also reflected on his strong start to the season.

“It’s been a great start of the year. It wasn’t easy to be honest. Because I had to be strong mentally with my team. I’m really happy and proud of everything I’ve done in the pre-season and the first tournaments of the year. Playing great tennis. Really really happy about this week. I think we’ve done a great week. Not only on the court, but off the court. It means a lot to me, this trophy. So I want to say thank you to my team over there who makes a great job every day. Every day I’m making myself even better. Thank you.”

Alcaraz leaves Doha unbeaten, confident, and building momentum early in the season.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pre-order the new Mitsubishi Diamana Derby limited-edition shaft

Published

on

Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana BB Derby Limited Edition Wood Shaft

This isn’t a souvenir from the Derby. It’s the shaft Tooms actually plays — rebuilt, refined, and marked by the people who made the Derby what it is. From across the fairway, it looks simple on purpose: dark, quiet, confident. Get closer and the story starts to surface.
Hidden phrases are woven directly into the carbon — the shorthand, jokes, and lines the Derby crew recognize instantly. They don’t announce themselves. They only appear in the right light, for the people who’ve been there. To everyone else, it’s just a beautiful shaft. To the Derby crew, it’s theirs.
Under the hood, it’s pure 6th-Gen Diamana BB:• 80-ton DiaLead fiber in the butt for strength and control.• 46-ton fiber in the tip for stability.• Xlink Tech resin for the unmistakable Diamana feel.
No gimmicks. No noise. Just performance wrapped in culture.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

USA vs. Canada: Everything to know about rivalry ahead of Olympic gold game

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Everyone got the matchup they wanted for the men’s hockey Olympic gold medal game.

Sunday, the 46th anniversary of the “Miracle on Ice,” will feature the United States against Canada, which is without a doubt the fiercest international rivalry in all of sports, going for all the marbles.

Unfortunately for Americans, Canada has owned this rivalry since day one. 

Advertisement

This will be the eighth time the United States and Canada have played for Olympic gold, and the only time the Americans have won was back in 1960. They also faced off for gold in 1920, 1924, 1932, 1952, 2002 and 2010. In the best-on-best format, the U.S. is 5-15-1, and three of those victories came in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM 

Brandon Hagel and Matthew Tkachuk fight

Canada’s Brandon Hagel, left, fights with United States’ Matthew Tkachuk during the first period of a 4 Nations Face-Off hockey game in Montreal on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2025.  (Graham Hughes//The Canadian Press via AP)

The very first meeting between the two countries in a best-on-best format was back in the 1976 Canada Cup, which Team Canada won 4-2. The Americans did not earn their first win over their northern neighbors until 20 years later, after losing seven of their first eight meetings and tying in the other.

The U.S. won that year’s World Cup, taking home the best-of-three series against Canada, but since then, it’s mostly been Canadian dominance again.

Advertisement

Canada has gone 7-2 against the Americans since 1998, and four of those wins were absolute gut-punches to the United States. Canada took home the 2002 Olympic gold medal in Salt Lake City over the Americans, but more famously, Sidney Crosby’s golden goal eight years later also came at the expense of Team USA in front of a Vancouver crowd. Four years later, Canada again defeated the U.S. in the Olympic semifinals, and last year, Canada won the 4 Nations Face-Off with an overtime victory against the Stars and Stripes.

Team USA and Canada shake hands

Matt Boldy of Team United States and Sidney Crosby of Team Canada shake hands after the 4 Nations Face-Off Championship game between Team Canada and Team United States at TD Garden on Feb. 20, 2025, in Boston, Massachusetts. (Chase Agnello-Dean/4NFO/World Cup of Hockey via Getty Images)

US SKIER’S QUEST FOR OLYMPIC GOLD COMES TO A CRUSHING HALT AFTER TERRIFYING CRASH

The United States’ only wins in the aforementioned span came during group play of both the 2010 Olympics and last year’s 4 Nations. So, it’s been quite a while since the Americans had true bragging rights. Overall, Canada leads the best-on-best series, 15-5-1.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

Advertisement

These two teams are already very familiar with each other, as both rosters are largely composed of the same members as last year’s 4 Nations Face-Off, where three fights occurred in the first nine seconds in the countries’ first best-on-best game in nine years.

Tensions between both teams and the fans were sky-high in that tournament, as it was fresh off President Donald Trump‘s “51st state” comments and tariffs against the country.

Charlie McAvoy checks Sidney Crosby

Canada’s Sidney Crosby (87) is checked by United States’ Charlie McAvoy (25) as Vincent Trocheck (16) looks on during first period 4 Nations Face-Off hockey action in Montreal on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2025.  (Christinne Muschi/The Canadian Press via AP)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

But this is the true big stage, with revenge, bragging rights and Olympic gold on the line.

Advertisement

The gold medal game will take place Sunday at 8:10 a.m. ET.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

NFL fans react as Chargers sign $38,000,000 star’s brother as RB coach

Published

on

The Los Angeles Chargers have undergone a coaching overhaul this offseason, following a second consecutive postseason exit in the wild-card round in 2025.

The Chargers announced the hiring of eight new coaches on Friday with San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey‘s brother Max being hired as the running backs coach.

NFL fans reacted to the 49ers running back’s brother joining the Chargers’ coaching staff.

“Nepo hire.”

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“How much help does Justin Herbert need?”

How much help does Justin Herbert need?

“Mccaffery at running backs coach !! Great signing. This year, running backs are having going to have a great year!”

Mccaffery at running backs coach !! Great signing. This year, running backs are having going to have a great year!

“One polar bear but overall very positive outlook for the season so ill overlook it.”

One polar bear but overall very positive outlook for the season so ill overlook it

“Nice overhaul of the offense. Now lets go see some improvement in the roster and on field play.”

Nice overhaul of the offense. Now lets go see some improvement in the roster and on field play.

Advertisement

Max, who was wide receiver for the 49ers during his brief playing career, was hired as the Miami Dolphins‘ offensive assistant in March 2023. Meanwhile, Christian is on a $38,000,000 contract with the 49ers.

The Chargers announced the following hires on Friday:

“Butch Barry (offensive line), Julian Campenni (assistant defensive line), Rob Everett (offensive assistant), Adam Gase (pass game specialist), Chandler Henley (tight ends), Denzel Martin (assistant outside linebackers), Max McCaffrey (running backs), and Sean Spence (linebackers).”

Also Read: “I’m a psychopath”: Christian McCaffrey spills the beans on his unique routine after “snitch” Fred Warner lets 49ers RB’s secret out

Also Read: Christian McCaffrey opens up about accepting Deebo Samuel back as star WR heads into free agency

Advertisement