Connect with us

Sports

Canada fails to make Olympic women’s ski-cross podium for first time

Published

on

For the first time, there won’t be a Canadian woman on the ski-cross podium.

Marielle Thompson, Brittany Phelan and Hannah Schmidt were all eliminated in the quarterfinals of the event on Friday in Livigno at the Milano-Cortina Olympics.

Thompson, 33, entered these Games as a strong favourite to add a third medal to her gold from 2014 and silver from 2022. She was Canada’s opening ceremony flag-bearer, alongside Mikael Kingsbury.

But lining up in the first quarterfinal, she was knocked out by top seed Daniela Maier of Germany and France’s Marielle Berger Sabbatel.

Advertisement

Phelan and Schmidt then lined up next to each other in the third quarterfinal, but were taken out by Switzerland’s Franny Smith and France’s Jade Grillet Aubert.

Maier went on to capture gold while Smith took silver and Sweden’s Sandra Naeslund earned bronze.

Ski cross was introduced to the Olympic program at Vancouver 2010. The men’s ski-cross event in Italy is set for Saturday.

Meanwhile, Canada will also head home empty-handed in men’s aerials.

Advertisement

Both Lewis Irving and Emile Nadeau barely missed out on the second final, finishing seventh and ninth, respectively.

Irving, 30, helped Canada win bronze in the mixed-team event four years ago in Beijing, breaking a 20-year drought in the sport. Nadeau, 22, was also competing at his second Games.

Canada’s final shot for an aerials medal will come as it attempts to return to the podium Saturday in the mixed-team event.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Rasmus Hojlund comments speak volumes as Man United braced for £64m transfer boost

Published

on

The striker is on loan from Manchester United to Napoli with the Italian side having the option to make the deal permanent

Manchester United loanee Rasmus Hojlund has said that he’s a “different player” to the one who left the club back in the summer. The striker joined Serie A side Napoli on loan for the season.

The 23-year-old has made 32 appearances in all competitions, scoring 12 goals and providing four assists. His latest goals came in a brace in the 3-2 away win against Genoa earlier this month.

Advertisement

He has been praised for his performances in Italy, where he plays under former Chelsea and Tottenham manager Antonio Conte. Hojlund has opened up on how the Italian has helped him develop.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Speaking to Il Mattino, Hojlund said: “I still have a lot to learn, and I’m sure Conte is the right coach to help me grow in many ways. Compared to Rasmus in August, I’m a different player. I’m still improving, and even though I’m not very young, I’m sure I still have a lot of room for improvement.”

On Conte, he added: “He’s mentally incredibly strong. I’m fascinated by his mentality: he’s passionate, fierce. And he’s a winner. In fact, a serial winner. And if he doesn’t win, we immediately understand that we haven’t won.”

Advertisement

Hojlund joined United from Atalanta in the summer of 2023 for an initial fee of £64million, but struggled to make an impact at Old Trafford, leading him to sign on loan for Napoli.

The Serie A side have an option to make the fee permanent in the summer for a fee of £38million. Fellow loanee Marcus Rashford is in a similar situation, with Barcelona having the option to make his loan deal permanent for a £26million fee.

**Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. **Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Advertisement

With both players impressing, it makes it more likely that both clubs will take up those options. That would provide United with a £64million boost in the summer transfer window.

Those potential fees could help the club to fund fees for potential incomings. United are expected to look at midfield options when the summer window opens.

Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Content Image

£49

£35

Advertisement

Sky

Get Sky Sports here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle for the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games this season, an increase of up to 100 more.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Mourinho made ‘unacceptable, huge mistake’ – Kompany

Published

on

Kompany was also critical of Mourinho for using Eusebio’s name as supposed proof that Benfica is not a racist club.

“Do you know what black players had to go through in the 1960s?” added the former Manchester City captain and Burnley boss.

“Was he (Mourinho) there to travel with Eusebio to every away game?

“Probably at the time the only option they had was to be quiet, to say nothing, be above it and to be 10 times better in order to get a little bit of credit for people to say ‘actually, he is good’.

Advertisement

“That was Eusebio’s life.”

Kompany, who also spoke about racial abuse he experienced as a player, said talk of Vinicius’ celebration should not distract from the player’s immediate response to Prestianni’s alleged remarks.

“I’m just thinking when Jose Mourinho is doing the knee slide at Old Trafford, when he does his celebration in front of the [Barcelona] fans in the Champions League semi-final with Inter Milan, when his Roma are playing Sevilla and he is fighting with the referee and the referee has to leave the country under protection,” he added.

“I know one hundred people who have worked with Jose Mourinho. I’ve never heard a person say anything bad about Jose.

Advertisement

“I understand he is fighting for his team and his club. You cannot be a bad person and have all the ex players you have had talk so positively about you.

“I don’t need to judge him as a person but I know what I’ve heard. And I understand maybe what he has done, but he has made a mistake.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

‘Did not speak’ – Pep Guardiola verdict on Arsenal help for Man City

Published

on

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola spoke about the impact for Manchester City on Arsenal’s draw at Wolves this week.

Pep Guardiola said that he does not know how Manchester City will react to Arsenal’s draw at Wolves as he looks to keep all title race talk out of the Etihad. The Blues can close the gap at the top of the Premier League table to two points on Saturday but Guardiola will not let it be framed in those terms.

With a third of the season still to be completed, City’s manager insists that there are many twists and turns still to come in a title race that has become more interesting over the last fortnight as Arsenal have opened the door to City. The title race is in the hands of both teams given they play each other at the Etihad in April.

Advertisement

As the country leans into that excitement, Guardiola refuses to let his team get ahead of themselves ahead of their fourth meeting of the season with Newcastle. The City boss said that he had not spent one second with his squad talking about the title race or Arsenal’s results.

FOLLOW OUR MAN CITY FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester City Facebook page

“Many things are going to happen until the end of the season. 70 per cent of the players are new so they don’t have that experience of these kind of situations. Experience is win tomorrow.

“12 games is a lot. Newcastle is all I am concerned with. I’m not concerned with the League Cup final with Arsenal until it comes. Now it’s rest and after Leeds. You want to anticipate what is going to happen, who is going to be champion but that doesn’t count. It’s Newcastle.

Advertisement

Buy Carabao Cup Final VIP tickets

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 04: Erling Haaland of Manchester City gestures during the Carabao Cup Semi Final Second Leg match between Manchester City and Newcastle United at Etihad Stadium on February 04, 2026 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Kate McShane/Getty Images)

From £1,599

Seat Unique

Buy tickets here

The Carabao Cup Final will see Arsenal v Manchester City at London’s Wembley Stadium this March.

“I didn’t speak one second about that with my players. Yesterday and the day before it was Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle. I didn’t talk about the position or the table. I could not care less. It’s 12 games. Ask me this question with two or three games and I will answer but 12 games left is an eternity.”

Advertisement

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Iheanacho Returns as Celtic Struggle Against Stuttgart

Published

on

Super Eagles striker Kelechi Iheanacho made his return for Celtic in a tough night for the Scottish side, who suffered a 4-1 home defeat to VfB Stuttgart in the Europa League.

Iheanacho came on as a substitute in the 71st minute, marking his first appearance since early February. He had missed several league matches due to fitness issues, but his return was highly anticipated by fans.

Celtic started well when Benjamin Nygren equalised shortly after Stuttgart’s opening goal from Bilal El Khannouss. However, Stuttgart soon regained control, with El Khannouss heading in a second goal and Jamie Leweling adding a third after the break. Tiago Tomas completed the scoring, giving Stuttgart a comfortable first-leg lead.

Advertisement

Iheanacho joined Celtic last summer on a free transfer, bringing experience from his time at Manchester City. Injuries have limited his impact so far, with just a handful of league appearances this season.

Despite the loss, Iheanacho’s return offers hope that he can regain full fitness and help Celtic in the coming weeks as they aim to recover in the Europa League and domestic competitions.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Michael Carrick gives update on potential mid-season Manchester United friendly

Published

on

Man Utd’s decision-makers have considered arranging a mid-season friendly abroad.

Michael Carrick has confirmed Manchester United are still considering arranging a mid-season friendly abroad. United crashed out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup at the first hurdle this season.

Failure to secure European football this season has contributed to United playing the fewest games in a campaign since 1914/15. United will play just 40 matches, which has led club chiefs to consider organising a mid-season friendly abroad to bank millions in revenue.

Advertisement

United have an 11-day gap between games from playing Newcastle on March 4 and Aston Villa on March 15. The Reds then have a 22-day gap between playing Bournemouth on March 20 and facing Leeds on April 11, although the first weekend of that is an international break.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

When asked if United could still organise a mid-season friendly, Carrick said: “It just depends on a lot of things really. I don’t think there is a black and white answer with that one. We will make a call.

“And there is an area in between where it would depend on where the game is, what it is like, what time it is, when the fixtures fall. It is not straightforward, but it is something if we need to look at we can do if it is best for the players.”

Advertisement

Speaking at the start of the month, Carrick said about the prospect of a mid-season friendly abroad: “It might happen or it might not, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

United are next in action against Everton at the Hill Dickson Stadium on Monday night.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Why not go after everybody?

Published

on

Stephen A. Smith recently claimed late-night comedy hosts had rattled Trump and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), further adding that the hosts brought the FCC controversy on themselves. This came after late night television host Stephen Colbert claimed that CBS pulled his interview with Texas state Representative James Talarico for fear of FCC’s retaliation.

Talarico was scheuled to appear on Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show on February 16, 2026. However, the interview did not air on the network and was instead uploaded on the show’s YouTube page. During the Monday episode, Colbert also explained why the interview, where he and Talarico spoke about the politician’s Democratic nomination for Senate and the recent FCC crackdown, didn’t air on CBS.

youtube-cover

Advertisement

Radio host Stephen A. Smith addressed the controvesy during the February 19 episode of Straight Shooter. He questioned why late night comedy hosts targeted only Trump and didn’t go after everybody, saying:

“This is my issue: These are brilliant late-night hosts who are comedic geniuses. Why not go after everybody? See, the problem is, everybody talked about Trump so much that it was so one-sided cause it’s clear, you know, the disgust and the vitriol he evokes and they felt for him. You’ve got to hit everybody when you’re a comedian. Nobody is supposed to be safe. No one is supposed to be spared.”

He added:

“Hell, when I go into a place, I expect them to be teasing me about my hairline… So what? That’s what comedians do. Late night stopped doing that when it came to practically everybody else but Trump… Had they spared no one, Trump and his influence over the FCC clearly exist, none of that would have been enough for them to invoke their wishes the way that they’ve tried.”


Trump previously hinted at FCC revoking the license of televison broadcasters

During the February 16 episode of The Late Show, Stephen Colbert explained why his interview with Texas state Representative James Talarico did not air in CBS. Durign his statement, the television host suggested that CBS lawyers told him they could not have the policitian on the broadcast and also supposedly prohibited Colbert from talking about the incident on the broadcast.

“He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast. Then, then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this,” Colbert said.

Advertisement
youtube-cover

According to NBC News, CBS denied this claim in an emailed statement, saying that the network did not prohibit Colbert or The Late Show from airing the episode. The statement further added that the talk show was provided “legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates.”

For those uninformed, the FCC‘s equal time rule prohibits networks and radios from hosting political candidates durign the election season without giving equal airtime to the opponents. However, Colbert claimed that the rule did not apply to talk show interviews with political candidate.

Meanwhile, Brendan Carr, the chairman of Trump’s FCC, addressed the controversy during an FCC meeting meeting on February 18, saying that the media should “feel a bit ashamed for having been lied to and then run with those lies.”

This is not the first time the FCC has clashed with late night shows in recent times. In September 2025, Brendan Carr strongly condemned Jimmy Kimmel‘s comments regarding Charlie Kirk’s supposed assassin during an episode of his late-night talk show, resulting in ABC temporarily suspending the program.

At the time, Trump praised the decision and suggested that the FCC could revoke the license of broadcasters that gave him “bad publicity” saying:

Advertisement

“I mean, they’re getting a license. I would think maybe their license should be taken away. It will be up to Brendan Carr. I think Brendan Carr is outstanding. He’s a patriot. He loves our country, and he’s a tough guy, so we’ll have to see.”


In July 2025, Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show was canceled by CBS due to financial pressure and the talk show’s final episode will be aired in May 2026.