Connect with us

Sports

Closer to free in contention for 2026 blue diamond stakes at Caulfield

Published

on

Caulfield-bound Closer To Free faces no penalty from trainer Danny O’Brien for his novice status ahead of Victoria’s elite two-year-old showdown.

His qualification for Saturday’s Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield stemmed from a debut romp in the Blue Diamond Prelude (1100m) held on February 7.

Prior to that, O’Brien snapped up the colt post a Caulfield Heath barrier trial conquest nine days earlier under Adrian Corboy’s watch.

Post-debut, Closer To Free has shown further maturation, leaving O’Brien relaxed about the colt’s sophomore appearance on Saturday.

Advertisement

Devil Night mirrored this path last year, capturing the Blue Diamond on his second start following a Prelude second two weeks prior.

“The narrative around his trial was that he was wound up, but Adrian told me he was three or four weeks behind with him because he got cast in his box over Christmas and he missed a couple of weeks work,” O’Brien said.

“When he came to the trials here, he said there was a lot of improvement in the horse and when I saw him in the yard before the Prelude I thought ‘he’s right, you might need another gallop’, but he came out of it really well and will be finding a couple of lengths on Saturday on top of what he’s already shown.”

Saturday’s race poses no issue for O’Brien due to Closer To Free’s light resume.

Advertisement

“The profile of these two-year-old races has changed over the last 15 or 20 years,” O’Brien said.

“The two-year-olds are not having as many starts as they used to before Christmas and ultimately, they get one or two post-Christmas before running in the Blue Diamond and even the Golden Slipper.

“I don’t think that is a disadvantage. I know when Star Witness won it, it was only his third race start, one start in December, one start in January, and then into to the Diamond.”

Discussing Australia’s breeding evolution, O’Brien notes a departure from rushing juveniles to the track.

Advertisement

“When I first started in racing, there probably wasn’t the number of shuttle stallions standing,” O’Brien said.

“It was more the colonials, they were a bit hardier, a bit more get up get going early, whereas nearly every stallion in Australia now has some form of shuttle blood.

“There has been a gradual shift, so I don’t think there is any disadvantage and he has been very well educated and we can thank Adrian for that.

“He’s got a very natural brain and there will be no horse that will handle the parade better than him.

Advertisement

“He’s so relaxed.”

Discover leading betting sites offering racing odds for the Blue Diamond Stakes.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Iheanacho Returns as Celtic Struggle Against Stuttgart

Published

on

Super Eagles striker Kelechi Iheanacho made his return for Celtic in a tough night for the Scottish side, who suffered a 4-1 home defeat to VfB Stuttgart in the Europa League.

Iheanacho came on as a substitute in the 71st minute, marking his first appearance since early February. He had missed several league matches due to fitness issues, but his return was highly anticipated by fans.

Celtic started well when Benjamin Nygren equalised shortly after Stuttgart’s opening goal from Bilal El Khannouss. However, Stuttgart soon regained control, with El Khannouss heading in a second goal and Jamie Leweling adding a third after the break. Tiago Tomas completed the scoring, giving Stuttgart a comfortable first-leg lead.

Advertisement

Iheanacho joined Celtic last summer on a free transfer, bringing experience from his time at Manchester City. Injuries have limited his impact so far, with just a handful of league appearances this season.

Despite the loss, Iheanacho’s return offers hope that he can regain full fitness and help Celtic in the coming weeks as they aim to recover in the Europa League and domestic competitions.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Michael Carrick gives update on potential mid-season Manchester United friendly

Published

on

Man Utd’s decision-makers have considered arranging a mid-season friendly abroad.

Michael Carrick has confirmed Manchester United are still considering arranging a mid-season friendly abroad. United crashed out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup at the first hurdle this season.

Failure to secure European football this season has contributed to United playing the fewest games in a campaign since 1914/15. United will play just 40 matches, which has led club chiefs to consider organising a mid-season friendly abroad to bank millions in revenue.

Advertisement

United have an 11-day gap between games from playing Newcastle on March 4 and Aston Villa on March 15. The Reds then have a 22-day gap between playing Bournemouth on March 20 and facing Leeds on April 11, although the first weekend of that is an international break.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

When asked if United could still organise a mid-season friendly, Carrick said: “It just depends on a lot of things really. I don’t think there is a black and white answer with that one. We will make a call.

“And there is an area in between where it would depend on where the game is, what it is like, what time it is, when the fixtures fall. It is not straightforward, but it is something if we need to look at we can do if it is best for the players.”

Advertisement

Speaking at the start of the month, Carrick said about the prospect of a mid-season friendly abroad: “It might happen or it might not, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

United are next in action against Everton at the Hill Dickson Stadium on Monday night.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Why not go after everybody?

Published

on

Stephen A. Smith recently claimed late-night comedy hosts had rattled Trump and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), further adding that the hosts brought the FCC controversy on themselves. This came after late night television host Stephen Colbert claimed that CBS pulled his interview with Texas state Representative James Talarico for fear of FCC’s retaliation.

Talarico was scheuled to appear on Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show on February 16, 2026. However, the interview did not air on the network and was instead uploaded on the show’s YouTube page. During the Monday episode, Colbert also explained why the interview, where he and Talarico spoke about the politician’s Democratic nomination for Senate and the recent FCC crackdown, didn’t air on CBS.

youtube-cover

Advertisement

Radio host Stephen A. Smith addressed the controvesy during the February 19 episode of Straight Shooter. He questioned why late night comedy hosts targeted only Trump and didn’t go after everybody, saying:

“This is my issue: These are brilliant late-night hosts who are comedic geniuses. Why not go after everybody? See, the problem is, everybody talked about Trump so much that it was so one-sided cause it’s clear, you know, the disgust and the vitriol he evokes and they felt for him. You’ve got to hit everybody when you’re a comedian. Nobody is supposed to be safe. No one is supposed to be spared.”

He added:

“Hell, when I go into a place, I expect them to be teasing me about my hairline… So what? That’s what comedians do. Late night stopped doing that when it came to practically everybody else but Trump… Had they spared no one, Trump and his influence over the FCC clearly exist, none of that would have been enough for them to invoke their wishes the way that they’ve tried.”


Trump previously hinted at FCC revoking the license of televison broadcasters

During the February 16 episode of The Late Show, Stephen Colbert explained why his interview with Texas state Representative James Talarico did not air in CBS. Durign his statement, the television host suggested that CBS lawyers told him they could not have the policitian on the broadcast and also supposedly prohibited Colbert from talking about the incident on the broadcast.

“He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast. Then, then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this,” Colbert said.

Advertisement
youtube-cover

According to NBC News, CBS denied this claim in an emailed statement, saying that the network did not prohibit Colbert or The Late Show from airing the episode. The statement further added that the talk show was provided “legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates.”

For those uninformed, the FCC‘s equal time rule prohibits networks and radios from hosting political candidates durign the election season without giving equal airtime to the opponents. However, Colbert claimed that the rule did not apply to talk show interviews with political candidate.

Meanwhile, Brendan Carr, the chairman of Trump’s FCC, addressed the controversy during an FCC meeting meeting on February 18, saying that the media should “feel a bit ashamed for having been lied to and then run with those lies.”

This is not the first time the FCC has clashed with late night shows in recent times. In September 2025, Brendan Carr strongly condemned Jimmy Kimmel‘s comments regarding Charlie Kirk’s supposed assassin during an episode of his late-night talk show, resulting in ABC temporarily suspending the program.

At the time, Trump praised the decision and suggested that the FCC could revoke the license of broadcasters that gave him “bad publicity” saying:

Advertisement

“I mean, they’re getting a license. I would think maybe their license should be taken away. It will be up to Brendan Carr. I think Brendan Carr is outstanding. He’s a patriot. He loves our country, and he’s a tough guy, so we’ll have to see.”


In July 2025, Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show was canceled by CBS due to financial pressure and the talk show’s final episode will be aired in May 2026.