Connect with us

Sports

Conor Benn announces stunning signing with Dana White after 10 years with Eddie Hearn

Published

on

Conor Benn has made a shock change to his career after it was announced he has signed with Zuffa Boxing and Dana White.

Benn had been promoted by Matchroom Boxing for his entire tenure after making his professional debut back in 2016, and has established himself as one of the biggest names in Britain.

In 2025, he was involved in two epic battles with Chris Eubank Jr, losing the first by unanimous decision before gaining revenge in the rematch in November, dropping Eubank twice on his way to a dominant points win.

Advertisement

Those bouts ended a difficult chapter for Benn, who in October 2022 was forced to pull out of his initially planned fight date with Eubank after a failed drugs test, leading to a several year battle in an attempt to clear his name.

Matchroom and Eddie Hearn stood by Benn throughout that saga, and had big plans for the future following the win over Eubank, but Benn will now make those plans alongside his new promotional outfit Zuffa Boxing.

In a statement on social media, Benn said he had to take the offer presented by Zuffa.

“First and foremost, I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they’ve done for me over the past decade. From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times.

“It’s been a journey beyond anything we could have imagined, and for their belief, support and guidance, I will always be truly grateful, but Zuffa Boxing presented me with an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse. I’d love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter.

Advertisement

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing. I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans.”

‘The Destroyer’ had targeted fights with a number of big names, including the winner of Saturday’s WBC title fight between Mario Barrios and Ryan Garcia, along with newly-crowned WBO champion Shakur Stevenson, with Zuffa now the ones tasked with making those bouts.

The signing of Benn is a big statement of intent from Zuffa, and adds a fresh twist to the ongoing feud between Matchroom chairman Hearn and Zuffa chief White, after a war of words between the two powerhouses emerged in recent weeks.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Bott confident of Just Fine’s Parramatta Cup form in 2026 autumn

Published

on

Just Fine’s form has wavered since his initial Australian hat-trick of dominant wins.

Co-trainer Adrian Bott gets the impression the sparingly raced eight-year-old is about to rewind to peak condition this autumn.

Tulloch Lodge enters Just Fine, Hoo Ya Mal, and previous season’s Brisbane Cup winner Campaldino into Rosehill’s Group 3 Parramatta Cup (1900m) this Saturday, as Bott reminds punters to respect his chances.

“I feel he’s back to where we had him originally,” Bott said.

Advertisement

“His last couple of trials have been encouraging. We’re pleased with him at home and in his work.

“Maybe out of our three, he seems the most forward, and the most suited by the race. Hopefully he can show that on his return.”

The Mornington Cup (2400m) in April marked Just Fine’s last run, well beaten, with Hoo Ya Mal likewise fresh off a long break.

With a 2022 English Derby second placing, Hoo Ya Mal’s standout Australian run was Group 2 Hill Stakes (1900m) runner-up status a year on, though Bott holds faith in the gelding’s ability.

Advertisement

“The talent is there, but he’s a horse that does need a lot to go his way in the run,” he said.

“I want to see something from him first, but he’s got the potential to be very competitive in these types of races.”

First-up post his breakthrough Brisbane Cup (3200m) victory in June, ex-Kiwi Campaldino was trialled for spring but lacked sharpness.

Opting for extended rest, his connections eye autumn with the Sydney Cup (3200m) in view.

Advertisement

“He showed enough potential for us to pursue him as a tried prospect out of New Zealand, and he went from strength to strength last campaign when he went through his grades nicely and finished up with a very good win in the Brisbane Cup,” Bott said.

“We might have to be a bit more negative from that draw, which will make the task more difficult for him, but he’s got a nice campaign ahead.”

Out in gate 14 of 14, Campaldino topped Tulloch Lodge betting at $7.50 midweek, Just Fine next at $9.50, Hoo Ya Mal $16.

Find the premier racing betting markets for Saturday’s Parramatta Cup action.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

2nd Niger Delta Games Declared Open in Benin City

Published

on

The second edition of the Niger Delta Games has been officially declared open in Benin City, Edo State, with leaders calling for more investment in youths and women through sports.

The opening ceremony took place on Friday at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, where Edo State’s culture and heritage were displayed in colourful fashion.

President Bola Tinubu, represented by the Minister of State for Industry, John Enoh, said sports remain a strong tool for unity and empowerment. He praised the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) for sustaining the initiative and said his government is focused on developing people alongside infrastructure.

  • Eric Chelle at the Press Conference after Nigeria Super Eagles B loss to SudanEric Chelle at the Press Conference after Nigeria Super Eagles B loss to Sudan

Advertisement

“The maiden edition showed that when government provides the platform, youths will respond,” Tinubu said.

“Niger Delta youths are creative and ready to compete. Beyond medals and trophies, this game is about talent discovery. Nigeria must lead. Young talents must see sport as a pathway to career and global recognition.”

He added, “I must task the sponsors, NDDC, to expand its opportunities and invest in initiatives that empower the youths and women. Sports remained an instrument of unity and empowerment known to mankind.”

Advertisement

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, announced a reward of N20 million for the winning state and N10 million for the runner-up. He said the games represent more than competition.

“The games are a powerful statement that the Niger Delta is not only defined by its resources, but also by its resilience, talent, and boundless human potential,” Okpebholo said.

“Through sports, discipline is taught. Through sports, character is built. Through sports, boundaries disappear.”

He urged athletes to compete with pride and integrity, adding, “You are the pride of the Niger Delta. You carry the dreams of millions of young people who look to you for inspiration.”

Advertisement

NDDC Managing Director, Chief Samuel Ogbuku, called on state governors to support the games and confirmed the commission’s commitment to continue sponsoring the event.

“This competition is aimed at the amateur. From here they will be professional. All athletes come from their respective states. Let us use what we have to groom our athletes,” Ogbuku said.

“This competition has come to stay. This is part of our intervention in sports.”

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, represented by Senator Asuquo Ekenyoung, also promised National Assembly support for youth development and entrepreneurship initiatives.

Advertisement

More than 3,000 athletes from the nine Niger Delta states are taking part in the seven-day sports festival, which is organised by Dunamis Icons and sponsored by the NDDC.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Clippers’ Leonard exits with ankle injury in loss to Lakers, Doncic

Published

on

LOS ANGELES — Luka Doncic had 38 points and 11 assists, Austin Reaves added 29 points and the Los Angeles Lakers held off the Los Angeles Clippers down the stretch for a 125-122 victory Friday night.

LeBron James had 13 points and 11 assists for the Lakers in their return from the All-Star break. They blew a 15-point lead in the second half, but Doncic scored 12 points in the fourth quarter as the Lakers split the four-game season series with their crosstown rivals.

Kawhi Leonard scored 31 points before missing the final 5:10 with an apparent ankle injury for the Clippers (27-29), who fell just short of getting back to .500 in incredible fashion after their 6-21 start to the season.

Bennedict Mathurin had 26 points and seven rebounds in his second straight outstanding game for his new team before fouling out with 1:49 to play. The athletic guard acquired from Indiana for center Ivica Zubac dropped a career-high-tying 38 against Denver on Thursday.

Advertisement

Derrick Jones Jr. scored on consecutive possessions to trim the Lakers’ lead to 123-120 with 46 seconds left. Nicolas Batum then stole James’ pass in the final seconds, but the Frenchman missed a tying three-point attempt with four seconds left.

Doncic, James and Reaves were able to play together for only the 11th time in the Lakers’ 55 games this season, thanks to a rare moment of full health for the Lakers coming out of the break. They responded with a prolific offensive performance, even while James managed just two points in the second half.

In Doncic’s return from a four-game absence followed by a five-minute All-Star Game appearance due to a mildly strained hamstring, the Slovenian superstar scored 17 points with four 3-pointers in a dynamic first quarter for the Lakers, who made 16 of 17 shots in one stretch.

Leonard, who had just one bucket in the first, answered with a 19-point second.

Advertisement

The Clippers’ John Collins was helped off the court with 18 seconds left in the first half after he bloodied his face on a hard landing while trying to catch a long pass at the rim.

Clippers: Host Orlando on Sunday.

Lakers: Host Boston on Sunday.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

‘This is an emergency’ but Igor Tudor convinced Tottenham will avoid relegation

Published

on

Igor Tudor has acknowledged Tottenham are in an “emergency situation” but believes the quality of the squad can steer them clear of Premier League relegation worries.

Tudor faced the media for the first time on Friday and fielded questions on Spurs’ precarious league position, a hefty injury list and the daunting prospect of a managerial debut in a north London derby against Arsenal.

The 47-year-old is no stranger to a crisis situation after taking over at Juventus, Lazio and Udinese in difficult moments and was defiant before his maiden Premier League match on Sunday.

Style of play comes from pre-season when you have 50 days and you have 20 players. Of course when you have the style, very concrete, but now this is an emergency,” Tudor pointed out after he declared to be “100 per cent” confident of survival.

“An emergency situation when you need to find fast what suits the 10 (outfield) plus three players and it’s totally different.

Advertisement

“You have to go day by day, week by week.

“Let’s see what we can do. If you ask me what we are going to see on Sunday? Then I believe something concrete, good that the people will like, but it’s also about working, doing your best and then you will see on Sunday.”

Igor Tudor will take charge of his first Tottenham match in Sunday’s north London derby with Arsenal (Will Matthews/PA)

Igor Tudor will take charge of his first Tottenham match in Sunday’s north London derby with Arsenal (Will Matthews/PA) (PA Archive)

Arsenal are favourites to win a first league title since 2004, but even if they had not been the most dominant team in the division, this would still be one of the most difficult fixtures for a new Spurs head coach to make his debut in.

Advertisement

Yet Tudor pushed back by saying: “Is it a good time to play against Arsenal at home? It’s always a good time to play against Arsenal at home.

“Good if you are not in a good moment, of course. If you are not in a good moment, of course, so let’s go.

“We respect them but we play at home. Let’s see what will happen. We need to have courage, confidence. We have good players, they have good players, so let’s see what will happen.

“Be humble but brave, intelligent. The right things to do to put in the pitch. We play at home, eh?”

Advertisement

This is Tudor’s 12th different managerial role since he started out at Hajduk in 2013, but he bristled at the suggestion of sampling life in London during his time off over their next three months.

The former Croatia centre-back was also quizzed on the meaning of the term ‘Spursy’ and claimed to “never heard” of the popular social-media phrase.

While the task at hand is sizeable given Tottenham have won only two of their last 17 league fixtures, Tudor’s belief was unwavering.

Advertisement

“I come here not to visit the city, I have come here to make a job at a very difficult moment for this club,” Tudor insisted.

“What I saw this week is the quality of the player, we have enormous quality in the players even though some of them are not with us, but they will come back.

“On Sunday we will have 13 good players. It’s about that.”

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Evaporate pursues maiden Group 1 in 2026 Futurity Stakes

Published

on

The Lindsay Park-trained Evaporate remains without a Group 1 win to date, but his handlers are convinced that top-tier glory awaits the four-year-old soon.

Ben, Will and J D Hayes have the galloper primed for an autumn opener in Saturday’s Group 1 Futurity Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield.

Evaporate is a more seasoned athlete this preparation, as per Ben Hayes, setting him up nicely for what lies ahead.

He boasts five prior Group 1 runs, achieving podium finishes thrice: third in the Caulfield Guineas, second place in the Toorak Handicap, and third most recently in the C F Orr Stakes behind Jimmysstar.

Advertisement

In his younger days as a three-year-old, Lindsay Park entered him in the Cox Plate, where Via Sistina beat him comprehensively, and he ran fourth behind Mr Brightside in last year’s Futurity Stakes before heading overseas to New Zealand.

Following the Orr placing, Evaporate took a quick spell before the customary Lindsay Park two jump-outs leading into Saturday.

“I think he’s trialled up very well this time around,” Hayes said.

“What we really like is he seems a lot more relaxed and has shown us a really good turn of foot in both his jump-outs and his work at home.

Advertisement

He’s a horse that has always shown us above average ability and it’s a race he can run very well in.

“He has already shown that he is capable at weight-for-age before and he’s a more hardened horse now.”

Co-trainer Hayes sees Evaporate tougher now, but Treasurethe Moment represents a tough hurdle on Saturday.

She resumed victorious in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes last spring, at Caulfield over 1400m, upsetting Mr Brightside.

Advertisement

“It would be nice to get that Group 1 on his CV,” Hayes said of Evaporate.

“He’s a Group 1 horse, but we’re going to run into a horse like Treasurethe Moment who was amazing last spring campaign.

“But I think we’ve improved, which we have to, to beat her.”

Discover competitive betting markets for the race ahead of the Futurity Stakes.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Gamecocks HC Dawn Staley gives Joni Taylor the biggest “bouquet of flowers” after Texas A&M HC receives a valuable honor

Published

on

Joni Taylor is the 2026 recipient of the Kay Yow Heart of a Coach Award. The Texas A&M women’s basketball coach received the award after a unanimous vote from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley took to X to give Taylor her flowers.

“@CoachJoniTaylor, there’s not a big enough bouquet of flowers to celebrate you for who you are and what you represent to us! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Much deserved!” Staley wrote.

Advertisement

Joni Taylor started her coaching career as an assistant at Troy. She took up the job shortly after graduating from Alabama, where she starred as a power forward and center.

Taylor had other stints as an assistant, namely with Louisiana Tech, Alabama, LSU and Georgia. She became the Georgia Bulldogs coach in April 2015. Taylor spent seven seasons in the role, posting winning records each year.

Taylor became the Texas A&M coach on March 23, 2022. She’s looking to guide the program to success in the uber-competitive SEC. The Aggies are currently 11-11 (4-9) in the 2025-26 season. They’re fresh off an 82-74 win against the No. 21-ranked Tennessee Vols, and their next game is against the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Dawn Staley and Joni Taylor made history in 2021

History was made at the 2021 Southeastern Conference Tournament Championship game between the South Carolina Gamecocks and Georgia Bulldogs. That game was the first time two Black women head coaches met in a Power Five conference tournament championship.

Advertisement

Dawn Staley coached the Gamecocks to a win over Joni Taylor’s Bulldogs. The duo embraced before and after the showdown.

“You can’t dream what you can’t see,” said Taylor after the game.

“So (the SEC title game) was a chance for people to dream something that they haven’t seen before.”

Taylor has since taken her talent to Texas A&M, while Staley remains South Carolina’s coach. The latter is vying for a winning season, while the latter is aiming for yet another national championship to add to an impressive haul.