Connect with us

Sports

Destanee Aiava confirms 2026 will be her Final year on Tour

Published

on

Destanee Aiava has announced that 2026 will be her final season on the professional tennis tour, revealing her decision in a statement shared on social media.

The 25 years old Australian explained that her decision comes after years of negative experiences in the sport, including abuse from gamblers, online harassment, and feeling unsupported within tennis.

In a strongly worded message, Aiava wrote:

  • Favour Ashe switches allegiance from Nigeria to QatarFavour Ashe switches allegiance from Nigeria to Qatar

Advertisement

“I want to say a ginormous f*** you to everyone in the tennis community who’s ever made me feel less than. F*** you to every single gambler who’s sent me hate or death threats. F*** you to the people who sit behind screens on social media, commenting on my body, my career, or whatever the f*** they want to nitpick. And f*** you to a sport that hides behind so-called class and gentlemanly values.”

She added:

“Behind the white outfits and traditions is a culture that’s racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile to anyone who doesn’t fit its mould.”

Advertisement

Aiava has previously spoken about mental health struggles, pressure, and the impact of online abuse on players.

She turned professional as a teenager and has competed in Grand Slam events, like the Australian Open, but has faced repeated setbacks on and off the court.

Aiava has not detailed her schedule for 2026 but indicated she intends to complete the season before stepping away from professional tennis.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ole Dancer race swap suits Desirable Stakes in 2026

Published

on

Unimpressive efforts in a recent track session by a fellow stable inmate will direct Ole Dancer towards the fillies’ Stakes at Flemington.

Peter Moody and Katherine Coleman’s Sheza Alibi had lined up for her autumn debut in the Listed Desirable Stakes (1400m) on Saturday, leaving Ole Dancer to challenge seasoned mares in the Group 3 Frances Tressady Stakes (1400m).

Tuesday’s lacklustre gallop from Sheza Alibi resulted in the team opting to interchange the runners.

Moody views the Desirable Stakes as the less demanding race for Ole Dancer, matching her with contemporaries.

Advertisement

“She’s not wound up or screwed down as we’re mindful of not wanting her to have a gut-buster 14 days before the Surround, which is a Group 1, and ultimately, we want to be going around two or three runs after that,” Moody said.

“Class will take her a long way, unless one of the other fillies really jumps out of the ground, so I would suggest it would be hard to see her getting beat.”

Ole Dancer has been aimed at the Group 1 Surround Stakes (1400m) at Randwick on February 28 ever since her break post the Group 1 Thousand Guineas (1600m) triumph last spring.

She holds three wins from five starts, her unplaced runs chalked up to tough barriers by Moody.

Advertisement

Some improved luck could see her unblemished, treading a trail akin to distant kin Black Caviar, honoree of Saturday’s marquee Black Caviar Lightning.

Ole Kirk, Ole Dancer’s sire, descends from a sibling of Black Caviar.

“The times she got beat she had bad barriers, so we rode her stone cold and she ran home super,” Moody said of Ole Dancer.

“We’ve probably got to ride her cold on Saturday, seven of seven, and the filly of Danny O’Brien’s (Sass Appeal) probably leads and controls the tempo and is probably the one we have to beat.

Advertisement

“It’s not going to be an easy task, but it will be a nice gallop for her, the track looks enormous and the rain we had on Wednesday is the best thing that has happened to every track in Victoria.

“All being well, this will lead us to the Surround in a couple of weeks.”

Visit online bookmakers to find betting markets for the race in the Desirable Stakes.

The post Race switch to suit Ole Dancer first appeared on Just Horse Racing.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Pathum Nissanka century powers Sri Lanka into Super Eight; Australia on brink of T20 WC elimination | Cricket News

Published

on

Pathum Nissanka century powers Sri Lanka into Super Eight; Australia on brink of T20 WC elimination
Pathum Nissanka (ICC Photo)

NEW DELHI: Opener Pathum Nissanka turned a challenging chase into a masterclass on Monday, smashing a blistering 100 not out off 52 balls to guide Sri Lanka to an emphatic eight-wicket victory over Australia at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium.The win not only secured Sri Lanka’s spot in the Super Eight stage of the T20 World Cup but also left Australia’s qualification hopes hanging by a thread. Australia will be eliminated if Zimbabwe beat Ireland on Tuesday.

Suryakumar Yadav press conference: How SKY trolled India-Pakistan rivalry

Chasing a target of 182, Sri Lanka’s innings was anchored by Nissanka, who struck 10 fours and five sixes, and Kusal Mendis, who contributed a fluent 51 off 38 balls. The pair stitched together a 97-run partnership for the second wicket, keeping Sri Lanka comfortably ahead. Pavan Rathnayake added a quick 28 off 15 balls as the hosts raced to 184/2 in just 18 overs, maintaining a commanding run rate throughout.Australia, sent in to bat, got off to a flying start with Mitchell Marsh (54 off 27) and Travis Head (56 off 29) adding 104 runs in less than nine overs. Their power-hitting set Australia up for a total beyond 200, with boundaries and sixes flowing freely.However, Sri Lanka clawed their way back in the latter half of the innings. Leg-spinner Dushan Hemantha emerged as the standout bowler with figures of 3/37 in four overs, while Dushmantha Chameera and Dunith Wellalage picked up crucial wickets. Australia collapsed from 104/0 to 130/4 and eventually folded for 181. Pathum Nissanka also redeemed himself in the field, taking a brilliant diving catch to dismiss Glenn Maxwell.Sri Lanka suffered an early setback when Kusal Perera was caught at deep backward point, but Nissanka and Mendis ensured the chase remained under control. Even after Mendis’s dismissal by Marcus Stoinis, there was no stopping Nissanka, who carried the team over the line with 12 balls to spare.The result marks a dramatic turnaround for Sri Lanka, while Australia, who had earlier been humbled by Zimbabwe, now face a precarious path to the Super Eight. The hosts’ combination of explosive batting and clinical bowling proved too much for the Australians, highlighting Sri Lanka’s momentum and Australia’s vulnerability in the tournament.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Top 5 men’s college basketball athletes with highest NIL valuation ft. $4.4 million-worth AJ Dybantsa

Published

on

Basketball players are some of the highest NIL earners in college sports. Their impressive earnings lessen the need to declare for the NBA draft after the freshman year.

With March Madness around the corner, let’s look at the five highest-earning men’s college basketball athletes.

Advertisement

Top 5 men’s college basketball athletes with highest NIL valuation

5. Donovan Dent, Guard, UCLA Bruins – $2 million

Donovan Dent made the move from New Mexico to UCLA during the offseason. The flamboyant guard averaged 20.4 points per game as a junior last season.

According to Fox Sports, Dent received a $3 million NIL deal to transfer to UCLA in March. He received $2 million of that deal up front, while he’ll earn $1 million during the ongoing 2025-26 season. He currently averages 13.5 points per game with the Bruins.

4. Boogie Fland, Guard, Florida Gators – $2.1 million

Boogie Fland initially declared for the 2025 NBA draft. However, the former Arkansas star removed his name from consideration and decided to take his talent to Florida.

According to Fox Sports, Fland’s move to Florida was sweetened by an NIL package worth $2.1 million. He currently averages 11.3 points per game and is looking to improve his stock ahead of the 2026 draft.

Advertisement

3. Yaxel Lendeborg, Forward, Michigan Wolverines – $2.3 million

Yaxel Lendeborg was initially set to enter the 2025 NBA draft. However, the versatile forward removed his name from consideration in late May.

According to CBS, Lendeborg’s NIL package from Michigan is valued at $2-3 million. He is averaging 14.4 points in the 2025-26 season.

2. JT Toppin, Forward, Texas Tech Red Raiders – $2.8 million

JT Toppin was the star of the show as the Texas Tech Red Raiders reached the Elite Eight in the 2024-25 season. He scored 18.2 points per game and was the school’s go-to bucket getter in high-stakes situations.

The Red Raiders made Toppin one of the highest earners in collegiate sports to ensure he sticks around for the 2025-26 season. He’s currently averaging 21.9 points as Texas Tech looks to make a deeper postseason run.

Advertisement

1. AJ Dybantsa, Forward – BYU Cougars – $4.4 million

AJ Dybantsa got paid a major bag to start his collegiate basketball career at BYU. According to On3 Sports, Dybantsa is valued at $4.4 million.

The skillful forward reportedly has sponsorship deals with Red Bull and Nike. He’s living up to expectations on the court with 24.4 points per game, and he’ll likely go one-and-done at the end of the 2025-26 season.