Connect with us

Sports

Gonzaga begins consequential three-game WCC stretch with visit from improved Pacific squad

Published

on

Feb. 20—Even two years ago, it might have been easy to look at Gonzaga’s upcoming home swing and pencil the Zags in for two routine victories.

But things tend to change fast in college basketball.

In 2023-24, Pacific cratered to a 6-26 record, lost to Pepperdine 102-43 in the West Coast Conference Tournament and finished the Leonard Perry era ranked No. 354 at KenPom.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Those dark days are now distant memories — a testament to the work second-year coach Dave Smart has done in a short time rebuilding the Tigers program.

The Pacific team visiting McCarthey Athletic Center for a 6 p.m. (KHQ/ESPN+) tipoff on Saturday is on the verge of breaking into the top 100 at KenPom, currently ranked No. 110. If the regular season ended today, the Tigers (17-12, 8-8) would earn a bye to the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament as the fourth-place team in the league standings.

Four days after Pacific swings through the Inland Northwest, the Zags get a Senior Night visit from Portland. No reminder is needed as to why Mark Few’s team shouldn’t overlook the Pilots (12-16, 5-10), who are tied for eighth in the WCC standings.

Gonzaga can’t afford to drop either game if it wants to raise a WCC regular-season trophy at the end of a consequential eight-day stretch that begins with Saturday’s test against Pacific and concludes the following Saturday at Saint Mary’s.

Advertisement

Advertisement

“We just got done with a really tough back-to-back down here in the Bay Area,” Mark Few said after Wednesday’s 80-59 win over San Francisco at the Chase Center. “That was marked on my calendar as a really tough stretch. Got through that one, now we’ve got to get home tonight and rest up.”

The Zags need two wins in their final three games to secure the No. 1 seed at the WCC Tournament. If Gonzaga, Santa Clara and Saint Mary’s all finish with identical records, the Zags would control the tiebreaker against both teams due to their 2-0 record against the Broncos. The Gaels dropped their first game against Santa Clara and will face the Broncos again on Wednesday in Moraga.

For Gonzaga, the cleanest path to securing the program’s first outright WCC championship since 2021-22 would be winning the three remaining games. If Santa Clara and Saint Mary’s both lose once more, the Zags only need to go 2-1 to clinch the regular-season title.

Advertisement

Step one is handling Saturday’s game against much-improved Pacific. Last year’s 9-24 record signified progress from a 6-26 mark the year prior, but the Tigers have taken another sizable step forward in Smart’s second season and could reach 20 wins for just the third time since 2008-09 and first time since 2019-20.

Advertisement

The top three teams in the WCC have separated from everyone else, with six games between the teams in third and fourth place, but Pacific is one of seven that could still finish in fourth and earn a coveted bye to the quarterfinals of the league tournament.

“Pacific’s having a heckuva year,” Few said. “The best I can remember.”

Advertisement

The Tigers are in a position to finish top four in the WCC after replacing every rotation player not named Elias Ralph. A preseason All-WCC selection, Ralph is leading Pacific in scoring at 16.6 points per game and rebounding at 6.8 boards per game.

Senior guard TJ Wainwright, a Long Beach State transfer who scored just two points on 1 of 10 shooting when the 49ers visited the Kennel last season, is the other Pacific player scoring double figures at 13.7 ppg.

Advertisement

Wainwright is one of four transfers in Pacific’s starting unit, alongside Dayton’s Isaac Jack (9.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg), Maine’s Jaden Clayton (7.5 ppg, 4.4 apg), and UC San Diego’s Justin Rochelin (6.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg).

Advertisement

Smart, who’s considered one of the most successful Canadian college basketball coaches of all time, won 656 career games at Carleton University before accepting the Pacific job on March 27, 2024, giving him a short window to build his first roster in Stockton, California.

“Last year I recruited, we had to find guys,” Smart said in October at WCC Media Day. “I came in so late, we had no money, we were so late, we had no high school recruits. We had to find guys and I had to recruit the way I used to tell the young coaches … do not do it this way.

“We paid a price for it and we knew we were going to pay a price for it. This year, we recruited the way we recruited at Carleton. I can tell you, we just said if you don’t want to be a high-level pro, then do not come here. But if you think you’re a high-level pro right now, do not come here.”

Advertisement

Advertisement

The Tigers have been a defensive- and rebounding-oriented team this season. They rank No. 58 nationally in scoring defense, allowing 68.8 ppg, and No. 59 in rebounds per game at 38.1.

Gonzaga hasn’t lost to Pacific under Few, winning all 22 matchups and 24 of the previous 25 games against the Tigers.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Geegees Mistruth targets 2026 Oakleigh Plate at Caulfield

Published

on

Spending extended periods with Mark Walker’s Cranbourne operation has only heightened the stable’s appreciation for Geegees Mistruth.

Last spring, the Tasmanian-bred four-year-old moved from Stuart Gandy’s yard to join Walker.

Having secured six wins from 15 starts, Geegees Mistruth is still seeking her first mainland victory, with the Walker team optimistic about the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) on Caulfield’s Saturday card.

Assistant-trainer Ben Gleeson indicated the preparation focused on maintaining freshness for the mare in this race.

Advertisement

Gleeson highlighted how the reduced field suits Geegees Mistruth perfectly.

The mare notched placings in all three of her outings for the Walker stable.

She opened her recent preparation third over 1000m at Caulfield on January 24 before resuming jump-outs with a win on February 9.

“She trialled up impressively and we’ve intentionally gone a month between runs, second-up, which her record is two wins, two seconds,” Gleeson said.

Advertisement

“She flies with that little bit of freshness in her.

“She couldn’t have trialled any better and her gallop on Tuesday was excellent.

“The less than capacity field suits as she can find trouble in the run, but the extra 100 metres is good and hopefully those gaps come easier for her.”

Gleeson noted Geegees Mistruth’s training challenges, but emphasized improving control as time progresses in the stable.

Advertisement

“We’ve tried a few different things with her training, and we think that it’s working,” Gleeson said.

“She’s a trick to train, but we love her, and we think we’ve got the best of her now and hopefully on Saturday she shows it.”

Explore the latest racing betting markets for the Oakleigh Plate action.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Jye McNeil returns to Buckaroo ahead of 2026 Futurity Stakes

Published

on

The reunion between jockey Jye McNeil and Buckaroo, who placed in the Cox Plate, occurs for the gelding’s autumn campaign opener at Caulfield.

On Saturday, Buckaroo resumes in the Group 1 Futurity Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield under McNeil’s guidance.

Out of Buckaroo’s 31 starts to date, McNeil’s sole previous ride came in last spring’s Group 1 Memsie Stakes, run over Saturday’s track and distance.

In that Memsie Stakes, Buckaroo grabbed third spot behind Treasurethe Moment and Mr Brightside, then notched placings in the Underwood Stakes, the Might And Power along with Cox Plate – all Group 1 contests – ending with a tail-end finish in the Melbourne Cup.

Advertisement

Following the Memsie Stakes, Buckaroo had Blake Shinn, James McDonald, Mark Zahra and Craig Williams as his jockeys in those next four appearances.

Buckaroo prepared with two Sydney trials and appeared at Caulfield on Tuesday morning partnered by McNeil.

“Last campaign I rode him first-up in the Memsie over the same distance and he surprised a few people by running really well,” McNeil said.

“He was third behind Treasurethe Moment and Mr Brightside, and if he can put a run together like that, I think the team would be very happy.

Advertisement

“He seems fantastic in the work he did. I didn’t work him going into last campaign, but he seems very well.

“I’m not sure how long I’ll be partnering him but I’m looking forward to the opportunity on Saturday.”

Buckaroo is expected to handle any Saturday track upgrade from the anticipated Good 4, per McNeil.

“The track was on the firmer side on Tuesday morning, but we didn’t do too much, just held him together, and he felt fine,” McNeil said.

Advertisement

View the best online bookmakers for betting markets on Buckaroo in the Futurity Stakes.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Anthony Edwards (40 points), Wolves too strong for Mavs

Published

on

NBA: Dallas Mavericks at Minnesota TimberwolvesFeb 20, 2026; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards (5) talks with referee Suyash Mehta (82) in the second quarter against the Dallas Mavericks at Target Center. Mandatory Credit: Matt Blewett-Imagn Images

Anthony Edwards scored 40 points on 16-for-30 shooting, and the Minnesota Timberwolves held on for a 122-111 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Friday night in Minneapolis.

Rudy Gobert notched a double-double with 22 points and 17 rebounds for Minnesota, which won its third game in a row as it returned from the All-Star break. Naz Reid scored 21 points off the bench, and Julius Randle contributed 13 points.

Khris Middleton scored 18 points to lead Dallas, which lost its 10th consecutive game. Naji Marshall and Marvin Bagley III finished with 15 points apiece.

Edwards shined throughout the game, including the final minutes with the Timberwolves’ lead in the single digits. He scored seven points in the last 2:27 on a floating jump shot, a pull-up jumper from the elbow and a 3-pointer from the left corner.

The Timberwolves closed the game on an 11-4 run after Dallas cut the deficit to four.

Advertisement

Earlier in the fourth quarter, Dallas went on a 12-2 run to tie the score at 103-all with 6:55 to go.

Minnesota led 69-57 at the half.

The Timberwolves jumped to a 40-25 lead at the end of the first quarter. Donte DiVincenzo buried a trio of 3-pointers in the first six minutes to help Minnesota grab the early lead.

Advertisement

Reid provided a highlight-reel dunk late in the first quarter. He dribbled behind his back before elevating for a thunderous right-handed slam over a leaping Daniel Gafford, who stands 6-foot-10 but was overpowered by the leaping Reid.

The Mavericks played without star rookie Cooper Flagg, who remained sidelined because of a sprained foot. The injury forced Flagg to miss the NBA All-Star activities last weekend.

Gobert picked up a flagrant foul after striking Bagley during a battle for a rebound in the second quarter. He surpassed the limit for flagrant fouls on the season and will be suspended for Sunday’s home game against the Philadelphia 76ers unless the league reassesses the call and downgrades the flagrant foul violation before then.

Advertisement

–Field Level Media

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

David Benavidez cruiserweight world title shot against Gilberto Ramirez now official

Published

on

The upcoming showdown between David Benavidez and Gilberto Ramirez has finally been confirmed.

Benavidez was last in action in November when he successfully defended his WBC light heavyweight title for the first time with a seventh round stoppage victory over Anthony Yarde.

‘The Mexican Monster’ was initially expected to return with another title defence for his next bout as he looked to affirm his status as one of the best 175lbs fighters in the world, but he surprised everybody when he announced his intentions to move to cruiserweight.

Advertisement

He heads to the 200lb division to take on unified WBA and WBO champion Ramirez, and the bout has now been made official for the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday 2 May.

Ramirez will be returning after a near one-year absence, with his last bout coming in June 2025 when he successfully retained his titles with a unanimous decision win over Yuniel Dorticos.

A victory over Benavidez would undoubtedly be the biggest win of Ramirez’s career so far, who has suffered just one loss in his 49 professional fights, coming when he campaigned at light heavyweight at the hands of Dmitry Bivol back in November 2022.

Benavidez would become a three-weight world champion if he is triumphant in May, having previously also reigned as WBC super-middleweight champion on two occasions.

Advertisement

Despite moving up a division, ‘The Mexican Monster’ heads into the bout with Ramirez as the favourite, and a win could pave the way for a future clash against IBF cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia, or a return to light heavyweight to meet unified king Bivol.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Conor Benn announces stunning signing with Dana White after 10 years with Eddie Hearn

Published

on

Conor Benn has made a shock change to his career after it was announced he has signed with Zuffa Boxing and Dana White.

Benn had been promoted by Matchroom Boxing for his entire tenure after making his professional debut back in 2016, and has established himself as one of the biggest names in Britain.

In 2025, he was involved in two epic battles with Chris Eubank Jr, losing the first by unanimous decision before gaining revenge in the rematch in November, dropping Eubank twice on his way to a dominant points win.

Advertisement

Those bouts ended a difficult chapter for Benn, who in October 2022 was forced to pull out of his initially planned fight date with Eubank after a failed drugs test, leading to a several year battle in an attempt to clear his name.

Matchroom and Eddie Hearn stood by Benn throughout that saga, and had big plans for the future following the win over Eubank, but Benn will now make those plans alongside his new promotional outfit Zuffa Boxing.

In a statement on social media, Benn said he had to take the offer presented by Zuffa.

“First and foremost, I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they’ve done for me over the past decade. From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times.

“It’s been a journey beyond anything we could have imagined, and for their belief, support and guidance, I will always be truly grateful, but Zuffa Boxing presented me with an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse. I’d love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter.

Advertisement

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing. I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans.”

‘The Destroyer’ had targeted fights with a number of big names, including the winner of Saturday’s WBC title fight between Mario Barrios and Ryan Garcia, along with newly-crowned WBO champion Shakur Stevenson, with Zuffa now the ones tasked with making those bouts.

The signing of Benn is a big statement of intent from Zuffa, and adds a fresh twist to the ongoing feud between Matchroom chairman Hearn and Zuffa chief White, after a war of words between the two powerhouses emerged in recent weeks.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Fans react as Team USA dominates Slovakia 6-2 to advance to Olympic gold medal game vs. Team Canada

Published

on

Hockey fans on social media reacted as Team USA booked its spot in the gold medal game at the Olympics.

On Friday, the United States delivered a dominant performance, defeating Slovakia 6-2 in the semifinal. Team USA will now battle for gold against rival Team Canada, which edged Finland 3-2 in a thrilling comeback victory.

Advertisement

This will be the second straight high-stakes final between the USA and Canada after the 2025 4 Nations Face-Off. Here’s how fans on X (formerly called Twitter) reacted.

One tweeted:

“Let’s go team USA! We need this win, so we can make Canada cry for a second time in a matter of a few days.”

Another chimed in:

“USA vs Canada for a gold medal is a travesty for the sport of hockey.”

Here are some of the other top reactions on X:

Advertisement

“Women’s hockey just ain’t for me. All due respect to these lovely ladies but this USA vs Canada gold medal match has been BRUTAL. Are they skating with cement filled boots or something?” a third fan wrote.

“Watching the Canadians cry after losing is satisfying now. I never would have felt that way before Trudeau & Carney,” one X user wrote.

“And against Canada….Wouldn’t want it any other way. Go get the gold, boys!!” another chimed in.

“All that for Midtthews to lose another winner take all game,” added another.

Team USA advanced to the gold medal game after defeating Slovakia 6-2 in semifinal at Olympics

Dylan Larkin opened the scoring for the United States after putting them ahead 1-0 at 4:19 of the first period. With less than a minute remaining in the period, Tage Thompson scored on the power play to make it 2-0 before heading into the second period.

Jack Hughes scored at 12:14 of the second period to increase the lead to 3-0. Jack Eichel made it 4-0 at 12:33, before Hughes scored his second of the night to make it 5-0 for Team USA before the final period.

Juraj Slafkovsky scored for Team Slovakia, cutting the deficit to 5-1 at 4:55 of the third period. Brady Tkachuk scored at 10:52 to make it 6-1 for the United States. Pavel Regenda scored for Slovakia at 13:17 for the final scoreline of 6-2.

Team USA will be up against Team Canada for the Olympic gold medal game on Sunday.

Advertisement