Manchester United should waste no time in bringing in their crucial next signing after landing Carlos Baleba for £65million
Manchester United are closing in on the signing of Carlos Baleba after submitting a bid worth £60million plus £5m in add-ons for the Brighton midfielder. Baleba is a long-term target of the Reds, who were keen to land him last summer until the Seagulls’ £100m valuation temporarily halted their interest.
Now, it appears United are homing in on the 22-year-old, who costs considerably less than last year due to a dip in form and a recent injury. Nevertheless, Baleba still represents Michael Carrick’s most expensive arrival this summer following the club’s signing of two other midfielders.
United’s engine room overhaul saw Andrey Santos arrive in a £50m deal last month, while Youri Tielemans was signed for £35m. These midfield additions are reminiscent of the way the club prioritised adding three high calibre forwards in Benjamin Sesko, Matheus Cunha and Bryan Mbeumo in the same window a year ago.
However, there are still some key positions that Carrick needs to strengthen before the transfer window slams shut on September 1. Perhaps the most pressing of all is the need to add a left-back to share minutes with Luke Shaw and become the veteran’s long-term successor.
Shaw, 31, cannot be expected to play every Premier League game this season as he did last term, let alone start FA Cup, Carabao Cup and Champions League matches too. And young prodigy Harry Amass could reportedly leave in the coming days, either on loan or in a permanent deal.
As such, after signing Baleba, director of football Jason Wilcox must turn his attention to bringing in Lewis Hall of Newcastle United. The 21-year-old was eyed as the primary defensive target going into the summer.
Hall is one of the league’s most highly-rated left-backs and, given his age, would bolster Carrick’s back-line for many years to come. Reports suggest the young defender could cost as much as £60-£70m due to him being under contract until June 2029.
The i Paper has gone a step further by claiming the Newcastle hierarchy insist Hall is not for sale and will not listen to any offers, given he is an ‘untouchable’ member of the squad. However, a club of United’s size should not give any credence to such comments.
Newcastle said the same thing about Alexander Isak last summer and Bruno Guimaraes earlier this month, and both players ended up leaving for Liverpool and Arsenal, respectively. If United come in with a big offer, and the player himself angles for a move, Hall may realistically be signed.
The allure of playing Champions League football would surely prove too tempting for the player to turn down, especially with the Magpies missing out on Europe and Eddie Howe, Sandro Tonali, Anthony Gordon and Guimaraes’ exits representing something of a sinking ship.
If their primary target Hall cannot be attained due to an unreasonable fee being demanded, United have other options. Club Brugge hold the same stance on Reds target Joaquin Seys, though an offer over his £30m valuation may be too tempting to turn down.
Reports coming out of Spain this week also claim that United have identified Racing Santander’s Jorge Salinas, 19, as their ‘plan B’ should their pursuit of Hall be doomed to failure.
United bosses are said to be ‘very serious’ about Salinas after watching the teenager’s impressive performances at this year’s Under-19 European Championship. He has a €16m (£13.7m) release clause at Racing Santander and is also being closely monitored by La Liga champions Barcelona.
Whoever United deem to be the most appropriate target, it is essential they sign a left-back. As it stands, a simple injury to Shaw could derail their season and Carrick’s entire project.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login